FT-897 Dummy load question

  • alanmm6
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 9, 2012
      Hi. I am transmitting into a dummy load using 5 watts and AM. On all bands except 6 metres I am getting 1:1 swr. But on 6 metres I get 1.75:1

      Any ideas?

      Many thanks

      Alan
    • Robert Tuck
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 9, 2012
        What kind of dummy load? Some have specific frequency ratings. My oil
        cooled Cantenna is listed to only 30Mhz. I have other dummy loads rated to
        1000Mhz.

        I would imagine that you would get higher SWR on 2 meters.

        Robert

        AB4RT

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 10, 2012
          Hi Robert. Thank you for your quick reply. It is a Zetagi Model DL.50, apparently rated to 500 Mhz. On all other HF bands it gives a stable 1:1 reading only on 50-52Mhz it doesn't. Feeding it with 2 foot of coax cable.

          As you have probably guessed I am a new Amateur :-) and still finding my way about my new radio and putting theory into practice.....

          Alan
          -2M0SHI-

          --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Tuck" <robertktuck@...> wrote:

          > What kind of dummy load? Some have specific frequency ratings. My oil
          > cooled Cantenna is listed to only 30Mhz. I have other dummy loads rated to
          > 1000Mhz.
          >
          > I would imagine that you would get higher SWR on 2 meters.
          >
          > Robert
          >
          > AB4RT

        • D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 10, 2012
            Hello Allan,

            You know that the output for 2 metres and 70 centimetres is different than
            the HF/6 metre output port, I'm guessing.

            Have you measured the SWR on 2 metres and 70 centimetres? If it is about
            the same or worse then just accept the results, and consider for £19.95
            you're getting "good accuracy" on HF and "fair" accuracy on V/UHF.

            Move the dummy load to the V/UHF port and test for swr there. It is a
            question of which do you trust more? The SWR indicator in the Yaesu isn't
            high grade but it is mostly correct. I'd trust a Bird wattmeter /
            artificial antenna with 50 ohm at 2 GHz as being correct and the Yaesu as
            wrong but for inexpensive dummy load, I'd trust the dummy load as wrong and
            the Yaesu as being right.

            For the same price in USA we have the OPEK DL-60 - 50-Ohm VHF / UHF Dummy
            Load 60-Watt - DC to 500 MHz PL-259 which is about 1.25:1 at 900 MHz and
            less elsewhere.

            What I would have done was search eBay for a 20 watt Termaline artificial
            antenna - they're made by Bird of USA and are high quality units used
            commercially. I'm sure they had similar lab equipment in UK.

            DR
            N1EA

            On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 9:18 AM, alanmm6 <mm6elv@...> wrote:

            > Hi Robert. Thank you for your quick reply. It is a Zetagi Model DL.50,
            > apparently rated to 500 Mhz. On all other HF bands it gives a stable 1:1
            > reading only on 50-52Mhz it doesn't. Feeding it with 2 foot of coax cable.
            >
            > As you have probably guessed I am a new Amateur :-) and still finding my
            > way about my new radio and putting theory into practice.....
            >

            > Alan
            > -2M0SHI-
            >
            > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Tuck" <robertktuck@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > What kind of dummy load? Some have specific frequency ratings. My oil
            > > cooled Cantenna is listed to only 30Mhz. I have other dummy loads rated
            > > 1000Mhz.
            > >
            > > I would imagine that you would get higher SWR on 2 meters.
            > >
            > > Robert
            > >
            > > AB4RT

          • alanmm6
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 12, 2012
              Re: FT-897 Dummy load question

              Hi DR. Thanks for your post and advice. I just checked it. On 2 Metres (145MHz) I am getting 1.3:1 on 70CM I am getting 3:1(basically RED!!!!!) and 6 Metres (51Mhz) is 1.75:1 The SWR meter I am using is an LDG FT-897 and AM ,5Watts

              On the euro version of the 897(mine is not D) it is an N-Type connector.
              Thanks

              Alan

              --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "D.J.J. Ring, Jr." <n1ea@...> wrote:

              > Hello Allan,
              >
              > You know that the output for 2 metres and 70 centimetres is different than
              > the HF/6 metre output port, I'm guessing.
              >
              > Have you measured the SWR on 2 metres and 70 centimetres? If it is about
              > the same or worse then just accept the results, and consider for £19.95
              > you're getting "good accuracy" on HF and "fair" accuracy on V/UHF.
              >
              > Move the dummy load to the V/UHF port and test for swr there. It is a
              > question of which do you trust more? The SWR indicator in the Yaesu isn't
              > high grade but it is mostly correct. I'd trust a Bird wattmeter /
              > artificial antenna with 50 ohm at 2 GHz as being correct and the Yaesu as
              > wrong but for inexpensive dummy load, I'd trust the dummy load as wrong and
              > the Yaesu as being right.
              >
              > For the same price in USA we have the OPEK DL-60 - 50-Ohm VHF / UHF Dummy
              > Load 60-Watt - DC to 500 MHz PL-259 which is about 1.25:1 at 900 MHz and
              > less elsewhere.
              >
              > What I would have done was search eBay for a 20 watt Termaline artificial
              > antenna - they're made by Bird of USA and are high quality units used
              > commercially. I'm sure they had similar lab equipment in UK.
              >
              > DR
              > N1EA
              >

              > On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 9:18 AM, alanmm6 <mm6elv@...> wrote:
              >

              > > Hi Robert. Thank you for your quick reply. It is a Zetagi Model DL.50,
              > > apparently rated to 500 Mhz. On all other HF bands it gives a stable 1:1
              > > reading only on 50-52Mhz it doesn't. Feeding it with 2 foot of coax cable.
              > >
              > > As you have probably guessed I am a new Amateur :-) and still finding my
              > > way about my new radio and putting theory into practice.....
              > >

              > > Alan
              > > -2M0SHI-
              > >
              > > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Tuck" <robertktuck@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > What kind of dummy load? Some have specific frequency ratings. My oil
              > > > cooled Cantenna is listed to only 30Mhz. I have other dummy loads rated
              > > > 1000Mhz.
              > > >
              > > > I would imagine that you would get higher SWR on 2 meters.
              > > >
              > > > Robert
              > > >
              > > > AB4RT

            • Radio_Randy
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 12, 2012
                Alan,

                If you're using an antenna switch between the load and radio, try the test without it.

                I bought an MFJ antenna switch, only to find out it wasn't rated for 6 Meters. The SWR was fine on all the lower bands. Replacing it with an AlphaDelta unit fixed my problem.

                73, Radio Randy N7CKJ

                --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "alanmm6" <mm6elv@...> wrote:

                > Hi. I am transmitting into a dummy load using 5 watts and AM. On all bands except 6 metres I am getting 1:1 swr. But on 6 metres I get 1.75:1
                >
                > Any ideas?
                >
                > Many thanks
                >
                > Alan

              • alanmm6
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 13, 2012
                  Hi Randy. No switch just straight patch lead to dummy load.
                  73's

                  Alan