Signal clipping on CW

  • GaryH
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8, 2012
      I have had an FT-897D since February. Now I am having a problem and am wondering whether it is the radio or something else. My call here is "ES1WST".

      Problem: On 20m CW only, stations are frequently copying my call as "S1WST", so somehow the first dit is being clipped.

      Antennas:
      - hexbeam = 20m, 17m, 15m, 12m, 10m, 6m
      - trap vertical = 40m, 80m, 160m

      The weird thing is that the problem ONLY occurs on 20m, but there it is commonplace.

      I have tried keying the radio remotely from upstairs and listening to my 20m CW signal on another radio (FT-817), but I don't hear any clipping.

      I have also tried CQing on 20m and looking at the reverse beacon network (RBN). I find that all of the monitor stations are copying "ES1WST" (and not "S1WST").

      I sometimes use a Bengali key for CW and sometimes let the computer key the radio.

      My MFJ meter displays a good SWR for the hexbeam on 20m (< 1.5).

      Does this ring a bell to anyone?

      73,
      Gary, ES1WST (WS4T)