Line in display

  • Fred VE3FAL
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2012
      Just noticed tonight I have a vertical line down my display of the FT897. It
      was inline with the letter "I" in DIG. Tried turning unit off and on again
      to see if goes away but so far nothing, anyone else experience this before.

      Fred

      VE3FAL

    • Randy Moore
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2012
        A known issue with the FT-857 and the FT-897. The cost to repair is
        probably close to $300.00. Use and enjoy the radio until the display has
        too many lines to operate, then send it in for repair. You can always
        control the radio via Ham Radio Deluxe. Just make sure all the setting are
        configured for rig control before the display finally dies. My FT-857 has
        the lines in it but I can still use the radio.

        73,

        AI4CO

        Randy Moore

        Just noticed tonight I have a vertical line down my display of the FT897. It
        was inline with the letter "I" in DIG. Tried turning unit off and on again
        to see if goes away but so far nothing, anyone else experience this before.

        Fred

        VE3FAL

      • Frank C.Lindsey II
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2012
          How long did you own your rig? Just wondering.

          I just receive my new Yaesu FT-897D from ups on 6/29/12.

          73,

          K9ghz, Frank

          From: FT897@yahoogroups.com <mailto:FT897%40yahoogroups.com>

        • usmcgungho@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2012
            Yes. I have the same occurrence. It occurs randomly. Though anoying, it
            doesn't appear to have any effect on the radios operation.

            Richard

            KB6GLX

            In a message dated 7/1/2012 3:18:08 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
            flesnick@... writes:

            Just noticed tonight I have a vertical line down my display of the FT897.
            It
            was inline with the letter "I" in DIG. Tried turning unit off and on again
            to see if goes away but so far nothing, anyone else experience this before.

            Fred

            VE3FAL

          • Leon
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 1, 2012
              Check my photos in the Photo section..

              I opened up the front to see if there was a connector or any sort to clean ---> Nothing doing.

              Radio still works good , HRD will help a lot

              Leon / 9z4bm
            • Dave Nelson
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 6, 2012
                Frank
                so you're saying you display has developed a line in less than a
                couple of
                weeks of being sold new ?
                well thats an obvious warranty return :)

                it took some 6 - 7 years before my one developed its first line, it has
                about 3
                now at ~ 9 yrs since purchase. I'm not going to worry about it. The radio has
                now been superceeded by my TS2000X. The 897D will get used as a field day
                radio where a few lines in the display are not going to annoy me

                cheers
                Dave
                VK2TDN

                At 11:39 PM 6/07/2012 +0000, you wrote:
                >7a. Re: Line in display
                > Posted by: "Frank C.Lindsey II" k9ghz@... k9ghz
                > Date: Fri Jul 6, 2012 7:32 am ((PDT))
                >
                >How long did you own your rig? Just wondering.
                >I just receive my new Yaesu FT-897D from ups on 6/29/12.
                >
                > 73,
                >K9ghz, Frank
              • Frank C.Lindsey II
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 8, 2012
                  Oh no I was just asking how long did you have yours, Dave

                  Before the Display started streaking lines.

                  It would give me a point of reference .

                  So if this ever happens to mine in the future.

                  Stuff like this is very costly my Friend .

                  73 de k9ghz,Frank

                  so you're saying you display has developed a line in less than a
                  couple of
                  weeks of being sold new ?
                  well thats an obvious warranty return :)

                  it took some 6 - 7 years before my one developed its first line, it has
                  about 3
                  now at ~ 9 yrs since purchase. I'm not going to worry about it. The radio
                  has
                  now been superceeded by my TS2000X. The 897D will get used as a field day
                  radio where a few lines in the display are not going to annoy me

                  cheers
                  Dave
                  VK2TDN

                  At 11:39 PM 6/07/2012 +0000, you wrote:
                  >7a. Re: Line in display
                  > Posted by: "Frank C.Lindsey II" k9ghz@...
                  <mailto:k9ghz%40sbcglobal.net> k9ghz
                  > Date: Fri Jul 6, 2012 7:32 am ((PDT))
                  >
                  >How long did you own your rig? Just wondering.
                  >I just receive my new Yaesu FT-897D from ups on 6/29/12.
                  >
                  > 73,
                  >K9ghz, Frank

                • Ray Walters
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 8, 2012