Re: "New" digital modes on 60 Meters

  • don
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 30, 2012
      Hi Dave & Ken,

      Much caution is advised before you start gouging at the Circuit board with a cheap solder iron. The simple and best way to update the new 60 meter channels,is to use RT systems ADMS software and download the latest update to the software from their website. The software works very nicely and puts the new channel frequency into the memory and permits setting the mode for USB or CW on the 60 meter memories. You do not need to butcher your radio or risk destroying it totally.
      If Yaesu starts shipping new FT-897 radios with the new 60 meter ability the options may change. Be patient. Who knows,it may even be a good reason to upgrade your station.

      Best advice about the MARS mod, from a tech who has salvaged several radios that were distroyed by impatient inexperienced hams, "do not even think about it". Most of the modification information found by a Google search is old, inaccurate and confusing. There are different levels of the FT-897 and many different configurations for export to different countries. Even a successfully modified radio loses some of its memory and programming functions.

      Just Enjoy a Great Radio!
      73 Don WD7P

      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, ken <kg9o@...> wrote:

      > HI Dave
      >
      > To get the FT897D programmed with the new frequencies and power level you will have to open the radio up , then do a factory reset , I did one of mine , if you have not looked inside the FT 897D , the solder pads for the jumpers are very small and can be dammaged very easily , the Yaesu service center in Cypress Cal told me they would not do the mod .
      > I am 70 and my eyes are not too good some days , but I did manage to get it done , a fellow ham posted the mod here on our site .
      > Thanks Ken   kg9o

    • Joel
      Message 2 of 16 , May 1, 2012
        I agree - for one channel it is really not worth the risk to your rig.

        60M was a nightmare day one of the change and pretty jerked up for a while
        after that but it appears to have settled down. The ARRL did not help
        things much with publishing
        misleading information on the modes then retracting it. I think many
        people now realize that it does not offer you
        anything that any other band does not. It used to be a fun little band
        when USB only. now you
        have digital and CW to contend with and when you should only have one
        QSO at a time on any
        channel , not to mention avoiding interfering with primary users, it
        gets hard to manage.

        Add to that you have the Lids that try to enforce rules like channel 5
        is the ' DX only ' frequency and
        jam you when you are trying to have a short QSO there regardless of the
        presence of DX and the people working
        DX split , so you cant even tell if there is DX on there because the DX
        is not transmitting on a frequency that US hams
        can use. People trying to run nets, people moving 80M roundtables down
        ....etc etc

        After being a very frequent 60M user I no longer go there.

        Cheers.

        Joel
        KQ0J