Power Supply

  • John T. Barr
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 3, 2003
      For those of you that have the 897 with the Yaesu internal power supply:

      Is there an easy way to power an external TNC from the same power supply without
      cutting wires and voiding warranties?

      73, John, W6JTB

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • Walter O'Brien / KC2LBO
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 3, 2003
        yes there is!! you can get the molex 6 pin male on a cable from
        powerwerx.com or qsradio.com, and molex 6 pin female from powerwerx -
        you then install a set of powerpoles on both sides

        get a set of male and female molex 6 pin connectors on cables, these
        are the ones that yaesu 897 uses for the dc power. they come on cables,
        either with anderson powerpoles, or put those on yourself. you then can
        also use this as a way to keep your power supply away from the radio if
        you have the rf noise problem!

        OR now get a powerpole Y-adapter that allows two sets of powerpole'd
        radios or tnc's to be powered from one power source,

        OR use the power supply to run a rigrunner power distribution panel,
        then plug the tnc and radio and anything else (within reasonable power
        drain of course) into the rigrunner. thats what i'm doing. this way i
        never had to cut any of the original power wires but still could move
        the power supply across the room or power other things with it -
        including an 857 when i take that on the road....

        get the molex and powerpoles at www.qsradio.com or www.powerwerx.com!

        73 walter

        On Sunday, August 3, 2003, at 12:19 PM, John T. Barr wrote:

        > For those of you that have the 897 with the Yaesu internal power
        > supply:
        >
        > Is there an easy way to power an external TNC from the same power
        > supply without
        > cutting wires and voiding warranties?
        >
        > 73, John, W6JTB

      • tino2275
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 8, 2003
          Hi!

          You could take the voltage from the 8-pin Mini-DIN ACC on the
          backside of the FT-897.
          This output is fused with a SMD fuse of 3.2 Amp. But beware of
          shortening this pin, the fuse is very small and not easy to replace.

          73
          Martin
          DL3MP
        • ke4iza001
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 19, 2004
            I just aquired the FT-897 and want to buy a dedicated power
            supply for the radio only. I have a small power supply for other
            toys. Can someone tell me how many amps @ 100w the FT-897 pulls? I
            need an answer from someone who has actually looked at the current
            meter when transmitting and CW or FM carrier.

            Thanks and 73
          • Norm Fusaro

              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 19, 2004
                I use the Astron 35 myself. Really nice and no worry about
                not having enough juice.
                Bill W5LV

                Norm Fusaro wrote:

                >Get an Astron 35 amp supply and you won't have a worry in the world.
                >Norm, W3IZ
                >
                >ke4iza001 <hamradioman@...> wrote:
                >

                >I just aquired the FT-897 and want to buy a dedicated power
                >supply for the radio only. I have a small power supply for other
                >toys. Can someone tell me how many amps @ 100w the FT-897 pulls? I
                >need an answer from someone who has actually looked at the current
                >meter when transmitting and CW or FM carrier.
                >
                >Thanks and 73
                >

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Howard Small
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 19, 2004
                  Key down in FM on 40m draws 14A on my supply meter.

                  Howard, VK3DLH

                  > I just aquired the FT-897 and want to buy a dedicated power
                  > supply for the radio only. I have a small power supply for other
                  > toys. Can someone tell me how many amps @ 100w the FT-897 pulls? I
                  > need an answer from someone who has actually looked at the current
                  > meter when transmitting and CW or FM carrier.
                  >
                  > Thanks and 73
                • George Burns
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 19, 2004
                    unsubscribe

                    At 04:00 PM 11/19/2004, you wrote:
                    >Get an Astron 35 amp supply and you won't have a worry in the world.
                    >Norm, W3IZ
                    >
                    >ke4iza001 <hamradioman@...> wrote:
                    >

                    >I just aquired the FT-897 and want to buy a dedicated power
                    >supply for the radio only. I have a small power supply for other
                    >toys. Can someone tell me how many amps @ 100w the FT-897 pulls? I
                    >need an answer from someone who has actually looked at the current
                    >meter when transmitting and CW or FM carrier.
                    >
                    >Thanks and 73
                    >

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                    ><http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129mo724h/M=281955.5600462.6665252.3001176/D=groups/S=1705063108:HM/EXP=1100984426/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12i3rbdo7/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1100898026822236>
                    >[]
                    >
                    ><http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129mo724h/M=281955.5600462.6665252.3001176/D=groups/S=1705063108:HM/EXP=1100984426/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12i3rbdo7/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1100898026822236>
                    >
                    >Get unlimited calls to
                    >
                    >U.S./Canada
                    >[]
                    >
                    >[]

                    > *
                  • Darrell Koranda
                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 21, 2004
                      You can use a smaller power supply if you turn the power output down. The
                      897 is supposed to have a power supply good for 23 amps. I use a 25 amp
                      supply with my 897. Now if you use a 20 amp power supply it may work OK,
                      but you are running the power supply at its maximun and this can present a
                      problem in that the radio needs more power. To prevent low voltage induced
                      signal distortion. You could use your existing power supply and watch the
                      voltage and when the voltage drops decrease the output power. So with a 20
                      amp power supply you will be getting a clean signal at about 70 watts
                      output. Darrell KB4XJ

                      >From: "ke4iza001" <hamradioman@...>
                      >To: FT897@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subject: [FT897] Power Supply
                      >Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:06:52 -0000
                      >

                      > I just aquired the FT-897 and want to buy a dedicated power
                      >supply for the radio only. I have a small power supply for other
                      >toys. Can someone tell me how many amps @ 100w the FT-897 pulls? I
                      >need an answer from someone who has actually looked at the current
                      >meter when transmitting and CW or FM carrier.
                      >
                      >Thanks and 73

                    • JJ
                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 27, 2011
                        Hello,

                        This is slightly off topic. But related.

                        I am considering what power supply to get to use with an FT-897D.

                        I have decided to get a switching supply to cut down on weight. But when considering which supply to get there are many manufacturers. Most of the designs look similar.

                        My question is that there are supplies that include voltage and current meters. They also have versions of the same supply without the meters.

                        Which is better to get? With meters or without meters? And why?

                        My thoughts are that it dosen't really matter.

                        Thanks for your thoughts!

                        73, JJ DU1/KS4DK
                      • Mark Pilant
                        Message 11 of 26 , Dec 27, 2011
                          I used an Alinco DM-330MVT when I put together my Go-Box:

                          http://www.n1vqw.net/go-box/

                          I opted to get it because I wanted the most flexibility. With the
                          variable output of the supply, the meter does come in handy.

                          BTW, I used this Go-Box when I was marshaling for an SCCA hill climb
                          this past August, and it worked great.

                          Not shown (yet) in the pictures are the marine battery box I use to
                          carry around a reasonably large automotive 12V battery (Optima Red
                          Top from another project).

                          73

                          - Mark N1VQW
                        • Joel
                          Message 12 of 26 , Dec 27, 2011
                            I went with the MFJ 4225MV with the two meters. I find I really do not
                            use the meters
                            at all when I am using the FT897, but I wanted the meters in case I use
                            the Power supply
                            with other devices where I may want to change the voltage or to monitor
                            total current
                            use on the supply if I am using multiple devices on it.

                            Cheers

                            On 12/27/2011 8:51 AM, JJ wrote:

                            > Hello,
                            >
                            > This is slightly off topic. But related.
                            >
                            > I am considering what power supply to get to use with an FT-897D.
                            >
                            > I have decided to get a switching supply to cut down on weight. But
                            > when considering which supply to get there are many manufacturers.
                            > Most of the designs look similar.
                            >
                            > My question is that there are supplies that include voltage and
                            > current meters. They also have versions of the same supply without the
                            > meters.
                            >
                            > Which is better to get? With meters or without meters? And why?
                            >
                            > My thoughts are that it dosen't really matter.
                            >
                            > Thanks for your thoughts!
                            >
                            > 73, JJ DU1/KS4DK
                            >

                            > No virus found in this message.

                          • john zenick
                            Message 13 of 26 , Dec 27, 2011
                              JJ,
                              This is a good supply...good reviews now noise on 80m-70cm, some have said there is some on 160m but if this is for portable that is probably not an issue...I bout one recently and like it a lot! 2 power poles in from and a binding post in back...quiet fan....mine when purchased was set on 240 instead of 120 so I though mine was bad but discovered it right away as I had wanted to make sure output voltage was correct....I live close buy to the warehouse, so I will call my order usually...I like their service..
                              This thing is light and just slightly bigger than the average fist...great switching power supply for portable and saving space...I'm going to get another for sure!
                              I am not affiliated with Powerwerx in any way...just a happy customer...
                              http://www.powerwerx.com/power-supplies/powerwerx-30-amp-desktop-switching-power-supply-powerpoles.html
                              John - KE4HGR

                              To: FT897@yahoogroups.com
                              From: hiqual@...
                              Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 09:13:59 -0600
                              Subject: Re: [FT897] Power Supply

                              On 12/27/2011 8:51 AM, JJ wrote:

                              > Hello,

                              > This is slightly off topic. But related.

                              > I am considering what power supply to get to use with an FT-897D.

                              > I have decided to get a switching supply to cut down on weight. But

                              > when considering which supply to get there are many manufacturers.

                              > Most of the designs look similar.

                              > My question is that there are supplies that include voltage and

                              > current meters. They also have versions of the same supply without the

                              > meters.

                              > Which is better to get? With meters or without meters? And why?

                              > My thoughts are that it dosen't really matter.

                              > Thanks for your thoughts!

                              > 73, JJ DU1/KS4DK

                              > No virus found in this message.

                            • Joe
                              Message 14 of 26 , Dec 27, 2011
                                My power supply as well. (Alinco DM330MV) Affordable, dependable..a
                                workhorse. The power poles built in the Powerworx P.S. are nice...I had to
                                make several pigtails with Power poles for hooking up my equipment.

                                The Jetstream series of power supplies are nice as
                                well...and...affordable..the 45 amp switching supply, (Should be used with
                                the Kenwood TS-480 HX)

                                There are those that are not excited about switching power supplies...but
                                me..??....My 30 amp Astron weighs a million pounds!!! (25 pounds...littler
                                heavy to be throwing on a wall shell with standard brackets!!) Not to
                                mention expensive...the 30 is no longer available..it has been replaced with
                                the RS-35A...HRO sells it for $179.95, I think I saw.

                                Joe Wolfe
                                WA6RKN
                                Reno, Nevada

                                Message 15 of 26 , Dec 27, 2011
                                  I choose the internal power supply. Main reason, built in, easy to carry
                                  along, no cables, no extra stuff.
                                  It's price is a bit steep.

                                  73 Phil ON4VP

                                • M. J. Synowiec
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Dec 27, 2011
                                    Hi to JJ & all,

                                    Happy Holidays!  I have had good success with the Jetstream supplies as well.  I use a JTPS14 and a JTPS45 in the shack to power various rigs and have been very happy with them.  I see that theJTPS45 and the JTPS35BCMA both sell for about $140 US.  Either one should power the 897d.  The JTPS35BCMA has the power-pole connex as well as binding posts and a cigarette lighter plug.  I have used all of those ports in servicing gear in the shack.  The '35 also has built in charging for a deep-cycle marine battery so you gain battery back-up for emergencies.  I'm sure others manufacturers offer some of these same features.  It looks like you have some pretty good  options right now for DC power.

                                    Good Luck & I hope you find the right fit for your situation,
                                    Mike K8SYN

                                  • Bill VanRemmen
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Dec 27, 2011
                                      >I am considering what power supply to get to use with an FT-897D.

                                      I have the internal FP-30 supply. When I want to use the '897 portable, I
                                      just disconnect the Molex power connector from the rig and connect the 12V
                                      battery cable. I'm happy with this arrangement, especially since I don't
                                      have to deal with a separate power supply box.

                                      73
                                      Bill, KA2WFJ
                                    • Ronald Schiszler
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Dec 27, 2011
                                        This is KD6QCT Ron. I have 2 FT897s and have batteries in one which I use for mobile and an internal power supply in the other which I use as a backup radio in my shack. My main radios are and FT-950 and an FT-8900. One advantage with the 897 is it does HF, VHF and UHF. I have the internal supply disconnected in the 897 and am running it on external 12 volt system with batteries in my shack. I run the mobile on external 12 volts also. The problem you would face is with an external supply you can run a whole bunch of stuff and with the internal supply you are limited to the 897. I would opt for the external supply as it is more versatile.
                                        Ron KD6QCT Lucerne Valley, CA

                                      • AE7HS
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Dec 27, 2011
                                          The best switching power supply I have used is the Samlex 1235. I have also used several Jetstream models. The JTPS 28 is quite on most of HF but the fan noise is distracting if your in a quite room. I have never heard any fan noise or HF hash from the Samlex.

                                          AE7HS
                                          ae7hs@...

                                        • B Young
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Dec 27, 2011
                                            I have the Jetstream JTPS 28 and I really like it. It powers my FT 897D
                                            radio and auto tuner. Very reasonable on the price.

                                            73 Barry K9BAY
                                            On Dec 27, 2011 11:42 AM, "Joe" <WA6RKN@...> wrote:

                                            > **
                                            >

                                            > My power supply as well. (Alinco DM330MV) Affordable, dependable..a
                                            > workhorse. The power poles built in the Powerworx P.S. are nice...I had to
                                            > make several pigtails with Power poles for hooking up my equipment.
                                            >
                                            > The Jetstream series of power supplies are nice as
                                            > well...and...affordable..the 45 amp switching supply, (Should be used with
                                            > the Kenwood TS-480 HX)
                                            >
                                            > There are those that are not excited about switching power supplies...but
                                            > me..??....My 30 amp Astron weighs a million pounds!!! (25 pounds...littler
                                            > heavy to be throwing on a wall shell with standard brackets!!) Not to
                                            > mention expensive...the 30 is no longer available..it has been replaced
                                            > with
                                            > the RS-35A...HRO sells it for $179.95, I think I saw.
                                            >
                                            > Joe Wolfe
                                            > WA6RKN
                                            > Reno, Nevada

                                          • JP Douglas
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Dec 27, 2011
                                              I have an Alinco DM-330MVT, which is a great power supply, but given that I also like to set up outside or in the basement, I've been using the Alinco for said purposes and needed something compact for the shack where I switch from a solar powered set up to a/c power when the weather doesn't cooperate. I found an inexpensive (USD$57) and very compact Megawatt S-35012 33 amp power supply.
                                              No meters, but the FT-897 itself shows you voltage anyhow and my power strip shows amps.

                                              Been running this power supply at the shack for over a year now without issues and use it for both voice and digital, power a Kenwood 271 2 meter radio and a Kantronics TNC as well.
                                              http://www.ebay.com/itm/33-Amp-12-Volt-13-8V-Regulated-Radio-Power-Supply-12V-/160487775138?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255dd11ba2

                                              73 de Jose Douglas - KB1TCD

                                              ________________________________

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Dec 28, 2011
                                                Mark,

                                                Nicely put together go box. Well constructed and well laid out. Great job!!

                                                73 de KCØJPO/AFA8JP
                                                cid:image001.jpg@01CCA82F.F6F655D0cid:image002.jpg@01CCA82F.F6F655D0cid:imag
                                                e003.gif@01CCA82F.F6F655D0
                                                John Murphy
                                                "When all else fails...Amateur Radio"

                                                Am. Leg. Post 253, White Shield, ND

                                                AFMARS Nothwest Area, Region 8

                                                Mountrail County (ND) ARES/RACES

                                                Owner, Oil Country Radio’s

                                                701-421-1134

                                                New Town, ND 58763

                                                Business Email: <mailto:ocr58763@...> ocr58763@...

                                                Personal Email: <mailto:jmurphy7411@...> jmurphy7411@...

                                                I used an Alinco DM-330MVT when I put together my Go-Box:

                                                http://www.n1vqw.net/go-box/

                                                I opted to get it because I wanted the most flexibility. With the
                                                variable output of the supply, the meter does come in handy.

                                                BTW, I used this Go-Box when I was marshaling for an SCCA hill climb
                                                this past August, and it worked great.

                                                Not shown (yet) in the pictures are the marine battery box I use to
                                                carry around a reasonably large automotive 12V battery (Optima Red
                                                Top from another project).

                                                73

                                                - Mark N1VQW

                                                _____

                                                No virus found in this message.

                                              • robert donchez
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Dec 29, 2011
                                                  my version
                                                  i have the 2 batteries installed in the 897 and have the very small
                                                  internal supply hanging on the back of my operating desk by 2 screws
                                                  i made a y power adapter cable that plugs into the 897 and lets it
                                                  operate on ac from the desk as well as the other half of the y
                                                  pigtail i use to plug in the optional charger for the batteries or
                                                  use it as an external supply for 13.8v for other things in the shack
                                                  that way the 897 is ready to go portable (ready to op in case of
                                                  power failure) and runs nicely from the internal supply mounted
                                                  behind the desk
                                                  if i ever needed the internal power supply to be mounted on the
                                                  bottom of the 897, its only a couple of screws - maybe 10 minutes
                                                  worth of time to remove batteries and install ps
                                                  bob donchez
                                                  wb3hyb
                                                  On Dec 27, 2011, at 2:12 PM, Ronald Schiszler wrote:

                                                  > This is KD6QCT Ron. I have 2 FT897s and have batteries in one which
                                                  > I use for mobile and an internal power supply in the other which I
                                                  > use as a backup radio in my shack. My main radios are and FT-950
                                                  > and an FT-8900. One advantage with the 897 is it does HF, VHF and
                                                  > UHF. I have the internal supply disconnected in the 897 and am
                                                  > running it on external 12 volt system with batteries in my shack. I
                                                  > run the mobile on external 12 volts also. The problem you would
                                                  > face is with an external supply you can run a whole bunch of stuff
                                                  > and with the internal supply you are limited to the 897. I would
                                                  > opt for the external supply as it is more versatile.
                                                  > Ron KD6QCT Lucerne Valley, CA

                                                • jdeitch2
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Dec 29, 2011
                                                    Mark,
                                                    I agree with John, very nice kit there.

                                                    I have a question on your power connections. Which model of the RigRunner do you use? Is there a problem with powering the system off of a battery while the power supply leads are still connected? In other words how does the power supply like having 12 volts on it's DC side without being turned on?

                                                    Thnaks,
                                                    Jim
                                                    JG1KGS

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Dec 30, 2011
                                                      Mark,
                                                      I agree with John, very nice setup there. I am curious though, when you power the unit off battery how are you disconnecting the 12 volt side of the power supply? If you are not disconnecting it how does the power supply like having it's 12 volt side hot while being off?

                                                      Thanks,

                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Dec 31, 2011
                                                        Hi Jim.

                                                        Thank you for your comments on the Go-Box.

                                                        > Which model of the RigRunner do you use?

                                                        I'm using the 4005 RigRunner.

                                                        > Is there a problem with powering the system off of a battery while the
                                                        > power supply leads are still connected? In other words how does the
                                                        > power supply like having 12 volts on it's DC side without being turned
                                                        > on?

                                                        The Alinco switching supply has blocking diodes in the output, so having
                                                        it connected to the battery at the same time isn't a problem. However,
                                                        in the firm tradition of overkill :-) I want to add a Schottky diode in
                                                        of of the power supply leads; just to make sure :-P (I just haven't
                                                        managed to get time to do it yet.)

                                                        73

                                                        - Mark N1VQW