Re: Help Understanding the 60m Band Rule Changes

  • g8hul
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 5, 2012
      Hi

      The only way to get access to the new USA channels, or any other 5MHz allocation that does not match up with the original USA channels, is to wide-band the radio. There is no software way of doing this, other than on very early FT897 models, links must be changed on the board on later 8907 & 897D models.

      Jeff

      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "John Murphy" <jmurphy7411@...> wrote:

      > Chris,
      >
      > 1st, Welcome to the group. What a wonderful radio the 897D is. Congrats on
      > the purchase.
      >

      > You are correct is every aspect of your 1st statement.
      >

      > With regards to the changes, yes, the radio originally came with the 60
      > meter band (pre-5Mar2012) in channels 601-605 and it only allowed transmit
      > in USB mode. I am afraid that Yeasu didn't think this through, though,
      > because they should have been aware that at some point, the FCC or any other
      > regulatory agency could, on a whim, change the band, and lo, it happened.
      >

      > I am not sure about the ADMS4BU software, but the FTBasicMMO by G4HFQ, Bob,
      > has recently released an update to his software (details here:)
      >

      > > FTBasicMMO V1.3.4 is now available here:
      > >
      > > <http://www.g4hfq.co.uk/download.html>
      > http://www.g4hfq.co.uk/download.html
      > >
      > > Changes in this release:
      > >
      > > * Add an option to update the frequency of M603 in 'out of the box'
      > (unmodified) US models of FT-817ND, FT-857D and FT-897D radios in accordance
      > with FCC regulations effective 5 March 2012.
      > >
      > > * Bugfix: correct incorect line spacing for 1/2" and above top margin when
      > printing overflows to a new page
      >

      > I can only imagine that RT Systems will not be far behind in releasing a
      > software update for theirs.
      >

      > Enjoy your new toy!!!
      >

      > 73 de KCØJPO/AFA8JP
      > GMRS Licensee WQOW801
      >
      > PopComm Monitoring Station KPC0JPO
      >
      > John Murphy
      > "When all else fails...Amateur Radio"
      >
      > Am. Leg. Post 253, White Shield, ND
      >
      > AFMARS Nothwest Area, Region 8
      >
      > Mountrail County (ND) ARES/RACES
      >
      > Owner, Oil Country Radio's
      >
      > 701-421-1134
      >
      > New Town, ND 58763
      >
      > Business Email: <mailto:ocr58763@...> ocr58763@...
      >
      > Personal Email: <mailto:jmurphy7411@...> jmurphy7411@...

    • Joel
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 5, 2012
        Note that the SW is not ' freeware ' ...

        Also, make sure you understand the regulations and specific frequencies
        / modes that
        you are limited to.

        http://www.arrl.org/news/new-60-meter-privileges-now-in-effect

        John Murphy wrote:

        > Chris,
        >
        > 1st, Welcome to the group. What a wonderful radio the 897D is. Congrats on
        > the purchase.
        >
        > You are correct is every aspect of your 1st statement.
        >
        > With regards to the changes, yes, the radio originally came with the 60
        > meter band (pre-5Mar2012) in channels 601-605 and it only allowed transmit
        > in USB mode. I am afraid that Yeasu didn't think this through, though,
        > because they should have been aware that at some point, the FCC or any
        > other
        > regulatory agency could, on a whim, change the band, and lo, it happened.
        >
        > I am not sure about the ADMS4BU software, but the FTBasicMMO by G4HFQ,
        > Bob,
        > has recently released an update to his software (details here:)
        >

        > > FTBasicMMO V1.3.4 is now available here:
        > >
        > > <http://www.g4hfq.co.uk/download.html>
        > http://www.g4hfq.co.uk/download.html
        > >
        > > Changes in this release:
        > >
        > > * Add an option to update the frequency of M603 in 'out of the
        > box'se: 2114/4852 - Release Date: 03/05/12

      • rschaffrath
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 5, 2012
          Actually there is a freeware application called CHIRP located at http://chirp.danplanet.com/ that will fix the 60m channel problem on the FT-897D (USB only still after the fix). In fact, Dan was one of the people who figured out the software fix for the FT-897D that allows channel M603 to be reprogrammed. I have not used the software myself but found out about it when researching this new software fix and its history.

          Robert, N2JTX

          --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Joel <hiqual@...> wrote:

          > Note that the SW is not ' freeware ' ...
          >
          > Also, make sure you understand the regulations and specific frequencies
          > / modes that
          > you are limited to.
          >
          > http://www.arrl.org/news/new-60-meter-privileges-now-in-effect
          >

          > John Murphy wrote:
          > >
          > > Chris,
          > >
          > > 1st, Welcome to the group. What a wonderful radio the 897D is. Congrats on
          > > the purchase.
          > >
          > > You are correct is every aspect of your 1st statement.
          > >
          > > With regards to the changes, yes, the radio originally came with the 60
          > > meter band (pre-5Mar2012) in channels 601-605 and it only allowed transmit
          > > in USB mode. I am afraid that Yeasu didn't think this through, though,
          > > because they should have been aware that at some point, the FCC or any
          > > other
          > > regulatory agency could, on a whim, change the band, and lo, it happened.
          > >
          > > I am not sure about the ADMS4BU software, but the FTBasicMMO by G4HFQ,
          > > Bob,
          > > has recently released an update to his software (details here:)
          > >

          > > > FTBasicMMO V1.3.4 is now available here:
          > > >
          > > > <http://www.g4hfq.co.uk/download.html>
          > > http://www.g4hfq.co.uk/download.html
          > > >
          > > > Changes in this release:
          > > >
          > > > * Add an option to update the frequency of M603 in 'out of the
          > > box'se: 2114/4852 - Release Date: 03/05/12

        • Rob Stampfli
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 5, 2012
            Thanks for the cite. A couple questions -- maybe someone in the know
            can comment:

            + I notice the "Chirp" website lists the FT-817/857/897 software as
            "coming soon". Is it indeed already available?

            + Can we presume that this software (and the non-free counterparts) work
            by rewriting the memory locations associated with the xcvr memories
            M-601 - M605 which hold the 60m channel info?

            + Whatever the procedure used, could it be used to open up these channels
            for CW operations, and actual DATA ops, too?

            + If additional channelized frequencies are assigned, can these be
            added using this technique?

            + Finally, after having made these changes, does anyone know what happens
            if you do a memory reset (V/M + Power-On)? Does it revert to the
            original memory channel model?

            Thanks,
            Rob / KD8WK

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 5, 2012
              --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Rob Stampfli <rob@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the cite. A couple questions -- maybe someone in the know
              > can comment:
              >
              > + I notice the "Chirp" website lists the FT-817/857/897 software as
              > "coming soon". Is it indeed already available?

              I can't answer the other questions but yes the FT-8x7 is available. Apparently the web page was not updated to reflect the addition of FT-8x7 support. I did find this link http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/repository/revisions/13a4e9a32a52 to the addition of 60m support to the FT-817 and FT-857 drivers.

              Robert, N2JTX
            • cjnabholz
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 6, 2012
                Thanks to everybody who replied and thanks for the warm welcome. I'll contact RT Systems first and go from there. I guess a trip back to Yaesu wouldn't be out of the question.

                --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "rschaffrath" <robert@...> wrote:

                > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Rob Stampfli <rob@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Thanks for the cite. A couple questions -- maybe someone in the know
                > > can comment:
                > >
                > > + I notice the "Chirp" website lists the FT-817/857/897 software as
                > > "coming soon". Is it indeed already available?
                >
                > I can't answer the other questions but yes the FT-8x7 is available. Apparently the web page was not updated to reflect the addition of FT-8x7 support. I did find this link http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/repository/revisions/13a4e9a32a52 to the addition of 60m support to the FT-817 and FT-857 drivers.
                >
                > Robert, N2JTX

              • cjnabholz
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 6, 2012
                  I contacted both Yaesu and RT System and I have received responses from both of them.

                  Yaesu:
                  "We have come out with updates for our high end radios but so far we have not
                  heard anything from Japan about how they are going to solve this in the non
                  field programmable radios yet. They say they will be able to do it but we
                  are waiting for further information."

                  RT Systems:
                  "We are in touch with Yaesu to see if there is anything we can do to help in this endeavor; however, the change made affect hardcoded details in the radio that cannot be reached by the programmer. We await Yaesu's actions for changes to the radio."

                  So there you have it, waiting on Yaesu.

                  --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "cjnabholz" <cjnabholz@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks to everybody who replied and thanks for the warm welcome. I'll contact RT Systems first and go from there. I guess a trip back to Yaesu wouldn't be out of the question.
                  >
                  > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "rschaffrath" <robert@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Rob Stampfli <rob@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks for the cite. A couple questions -- maybe someone in the know
                  > > > can comment:
                  > > >
                  > > > + I notice the "Chirp" website lists the FT-817/857/897 software as
                  > > > "coming soon". Is it indeed already available?
                  > >
                  > > I can't answer the other questions but yes the FT-8x7 is available. Apparently the web page was not updated to reflect the addition of FT-8x7 support. I did find this link http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/repository/revisions/13a4e9a32a52 to the addition of 60m support to the FT-817 and FT-857 drivers.
                  > >
                  > > Robert, N2JTX

                • Radio_Randy
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 10, 2012
                    This is definitely the "easiest" way.