Re: [FT897] FT897 with Amplifier question

  • ken
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 28, 2012
      To run an amp on the FT 897D you will have to go to menu 020 and turn on LIN ( LINEAR AMP ) this selects what device to operate that is connected to the CAT/LIN/TUNER port on the back of the radio , I had to make up a connector , ues gnd and tx gnd pins , I use a buffer between the amp and the radio .
      There is a guy that makes interface buffers that are completely isolated between the radio and the amp , these are the best ones, there is no physical connection between the radio and amp , the coupling is made by a optical isolator , and his buffers will handle up to 200 volts ac or dc and 3 or more amps .
      His call is W8NCZ .He has info on his web page on QRZ.COM .

      I would suggest if you are gonna run an amp to use a buffer of some type even if your radio has a relay , they are inexpensive and good insurance against rig damage .
      I hope this info was helpful , I own 2 of the 897D rigs .2 kenwood rigs and an IC 90000 I  have his buffers on all my rigs , his buffer will key the older amps as well as the newer solid state amps .
      If you need a mini din plug for the back of your FT 897D , they are 2.99 from the audio guru , he has a web site , he also sells plugs for Icom rigs . www.theaudioguru.com

      I hope this info is helpful .
      Thanks Ken   kg9o

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 2 9:33 AM
        There are several good buffers out there I do not have them handy but they are easy to find. Highly recomended,, easy Plug and Play.
        Tim W4YN

        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, ken <kg9o@...> wrote:

        > To run an amp on the FT 897D you will have to go to menu 020 and turn on LIN ( LINEAR AMP ) this selects what device to operate that is connected to the CAT/LIN/TUNER port on the back of the radio , I had to make up a connector , ues gnd and tx gnd pins , I use a buffer between the amp and the radio .
        > There is a guy that makes interface buffers that are completely isolated between the radio and the amp , these are the best ones, there is no physical connection between the radio and amp , the coupling is made by a optical isolator , and his buffers will handle up to 200 volts ac or dc and 3 or more amps .
        > His call is W8NCZ .He has info on his web page on QRZ.COM .
        >
        > I would suggest if you are gonna run an amp to use a buffer of some type even if your radio has a relay , they are inexpensive and good insurance against rig damage .
        > I hope this info was helpful , I own 2 of the 897D rigs .2 kenwood rigs and an IC 90000 I  have his buffers on all my rigs , his buffer will key the older amps as well as the newer solid state amps .
        > If you need a mini din plug for the back of your FT 897D , they are 2.99 from the audio guru , he has a web site , he also sells plugs for Icom rigs . www.theaudioguru.com
        >
        > I hope this info is helpful .
        > Thanks Ken   kg9o
        >

        > ________________________________

      • ken
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 2 10:11 AM
          check out w8ncz on his web page on qrz he has an ad , they are about 25.00 and the best you cane find .
          Ken  kg9o

          ________________________________
          There are several good buffers out there I do not have them handy but they are easy to find. Highly recomended,, easy Plug and Play.
          Tim W4YN

          --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, ken <kg9o@...> wrote:

          > To run an amp on the FT 897D you will have to go to menu 020 and turn on LIN ( LINEAR AMP ) this selects what device to operate that is connected to the CAT/LIN/TUNER port on the back of the radio , I had to make up a connector , ues gnd and tx gnd pins , I use a buffer between the amp and the radio .
          > There is a guy that makes interface buffers that are completely isolated between the radio and the amp , these are the best ones, there is no physical connection between the radio and amp , the coupling is made by a optical isolator , and his buffers will handle up to 200 volts ac or dc and 3 or more amps .
          > His call is W8NCZ .He has info on his web page on QRZ.COM .
          >
          > I would suggest if you are gonna run an amp to use a buffer of some type even if your radio has a relay , they are inexpensive and good insurance against rig damage .
          > I hope this info was helpful , I own 2 of the 897D rigs .2 kenwood rigs and an IC 90000 I  have his buffers on all my rigs , his buffer will key the older amps as well as the newer solid state amps .
          > If you need a mini din plug for the back of your FT 897D , they are 2.99 from the audio guru , he has a web site , he also sells plugs for Icom rigs . www.theaudioguru.com
          >
          > I hope this info is helpful .
          > Thanks Ken   kg9o
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Joel
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 2 12:14 PM
            I got the Amp today and did the jumper change on J1027 / J27 and it
            works like a
            champ. Thanks for the tip.

            Just in time for contest weekend too LOL...

            73

            On 3/2/2012 11:33 AM, Tim W4YN wrote:

            > There are several good buffers out there I do not have them handy but
            > they are easy to find. Highly recomended,, easy Plug and Play.
            > Tim W4YN
            >
            > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com <mailto:FT897%40yahoogroups.com>, ken
            > <kg9o@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > To run an amp on the FT 897D you will have to go to menu 020 and
            > turn on LIN ( LINEAR AMP ) this selects what device to operate that is
            > connected to the CAT/LIN/TUNER port on the back of the radio , I had
            > to make up a connector , ues gnd and tx gnd pins , I use a buffer
            > between the amp and the radio .
            > > There is a guy that makes interface buffers that are completely
            > isolated between the radio and the amp , these are the best ones,
            > there is no physical connection between the radio and amp , the
            > coupling is made by a optical isolator , and his buffers will handle
            > up to 200 volts ac or dc and 3 or more amps .
            > > His call is W8NCZ .He has info on his web page on QRZ.COM .
            > >
            > > I would suggest if you are gonna run an amp to use a buffer of some
            > type even if your radio has a relay , they are inexpensive and good
            > insurance against rig damage .
            > > I hope this info was helpful , I own 2 of the 897D rigs .2 kenwood
            > rigs and an IC 90000 IÂ have his buffers on all my rigs , his buffer
            > will key the older amps as well as the newer solid state amps .
            > > If you need a mini din plug for the back of your FT 897D , they are
            > 2.99 from the audio guru , he has a web site , he also sells plugs for
            > Icom rigs . www.theaudioguru.com
            > >
            > > I hope this info is helpful .
            > > Thanks Ken  kg9o

          • Mac
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 3 11:41 AM
              Do yourself a favor and purchase the ARB-704 by Ameritron and ask the supplier to also provide the cable for the FT-897,

              Here is a link to view the specs etc.: http://www.ameritron.com/Product.php?productid=ARB-704