60m and FT-897D

  • rschaffrath
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 10, 2012
      Now that the rules for the 60m band changes have been formalized, has there been any word from Yaesu on firmware updates to the FT-897D? I really have no desire to wideband my radio and hope they will be able to update it support the changes to 60m.

      Robert, N2JTX
    • Radio_Randy
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 10, 2012
        Robert,

        The 897D has no port for downloading firmware updates, like on the 950. The only way to change that channel is either through the "wideband" mod, or sending the radio in for a fix. So far as I'm aware, there is no factory modification available at this time.

        At least, from what I read in the Federal Register, this frequency change does not invalidate the FCC type acceptance of any 60 meter capable radios of current manufacture.

        73, Randy N7CKJ

        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "rschaffrath" <robert@...> wrote:

        > Now that the rules for the 60m band changes have been formalized, has there been any word from Yaesu on firmware updates to the FT-897D? I really have no desire to wideband my radio and hope they will be able to update it support the changes to 60m.
        >
        > Robert, N2JTX

      • Trixter aka Bret McDanel
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 10, 2012
          There is a port internally to update the firmware. The chip supports 100
          writes (not a typo and its not the external i2c eeprom). In order to do
          this you first send a loader program which erases what is there (so you
          can't use it to dump what is there, a different attack vector is required).

          The cpu costs about $20 so an experimenter could afford to play a bit and
          if they wear it out they can replace it (I would install a socket with the
          first replacement).

          You don't have to reverse the entire firmware either, same method used for
          software apps or other embedded products. The bandplan is a vector array
          on most every (all?) Yaesu radios. The jumpers just tell it which vector
          element to use for those settings.

          A clever person could use idapro (supports that chip) and locate that table
          then mod the tx/rx limits, 60m inclusion, kanji inclusion (us its there but
          masked) etc.