Re: apartment antenna

  • chiefreddog3e000
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 30, 2012
      Currently Tech class, about to take general test. Call is KM5MFP.

      Antenna needs are 2m/70cm but want to get prepared for other bands.

      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "John Murphy" <jmurphy7411@...> wrote:

      > I think if you let us know more about the bands you want to cover/work, it
      > would be helpful. And then we could recommend antennas for you. What class
      > license do you hold? What is you call?
      >

      > 73 de KCØJPO/AFA8JP
      > PopComm Monitoring Station KPC0JPO
      >
      > John Murphy
      > "When all else fails...Amateur Radio"
      >
      > Am. Leg. Post 253, White Shield, ND
      >
      > AFMARS Nothwest Area, Region 8
      >
      > Mountrail County (ND) ARES/RACES
      >
      > Owner, Oil Country Radio's
      >
      > 701-421-1134
      >
      > New Town, ND 58763
      >
      > Business Email: <mailto:ocr58763@...> ocr58763@...
      >
      > Personal Email: <mailto:jmurphy7411@...> jmurphy7411@...

    • Guido
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 30, 2012
        Chameleon Antenna has some excellent offerings at a reasonable price, I have the 897 & AT897 as you do and am having excellent experience with the Chameleon HYBRID and MIL combo.

        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "chiefreddog3e000" <chiefreddog3e000@...> wrote:

        > Have a FT-897, with AT-897 and live in an apartment. I am on the ground floor and have a garage. Trying to establish my shack in the garage and looking for an inexpensive antenna(s). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

      • Casey
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 31, 2012
          You can try a magnetic loop antenna. I just bought one (ML 40 HP) and am
          using it on 20m from inside the house. Spoke to Estonia, poland, italy
          etc... from the netherlands using 5 watt, SSB on 20m

          This is the one I have:G4TPH - ML 40 HP
          <http://www.g4tph.com/g4tph_products_portable_antenna_magloop_magnetic_l\
          oop_g4tph.html>

          73, CaseyPD1CA

          --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, william northcote <william.northcote@...>
          wrote:

          > You could try a EH Antenna. Small and less obtrusive than a large
          array of
          > antennas
          >
          > Will
          > 2E0WHN

        • B Young
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1, 2012
            I think MFJ makes an antenna for apartments. It uses a counterpoise.
            Check eham.net for reviews.

            73 Barry K9BAY
            On Jan 30, 2012 6:37 PM, "william northcote" <william.northcote@...>
            wrote:

            > **
            >

            > You could try a EH Antenna. Small and less obtrusive than a large array of
            > antennas
            >
            > Will
            > 2E0WHN

          • Dondi
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 2, 2012
              HI,

              The Eh antenna, hummm?
              See the site PY1AHD...and yahoo video, test about this antenna...
              He have Loop magnetic, this antenna is small but is very good.
              I used in field operation, is really good. with 5w I covered about 2000km.
              I was in beach, long island... Iwas two qso´s in 18 e 14mhz.
              See the yahoo and the site and draw your own conclusions ...

              2012/2/1 B Young <youngbar0978@...>

              > I think MFJ makes an antenna for apartments. It uses a counterpoise.
              > Check eham.net for reviews.
              >
              > 73 Barry K9BAY
              > On Jan 30, 2012 6:37 PM, "william northcote" <william.northcote@...>
              > wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > You could try a EH Antenna. Small and less obtrusive than a large array
              > of
              > > antennas
              > >
              > > Will
              > > 2E0WHN

              -- .- -..
              73&CUL
              PY2TR
              DONDI.
              GG67RA

            • Charles Scott
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 2, 2012
                All:

                I agree the magnetic loop may be a good way to go. Anything that keeps
                the entire antenna system outside or as much away from apartment wiring
                and devices is going to help get more signal out, minimize noise into
                the antenna from the apartment, and limit interference with devices in
                the apartment.

                As to the EH antenna... Please do some reading on this antenna before
                you think about trying one. Here's a Yahoo group with some good
                information on the claims made.

                Despite the developer's claims, the only way the EH antenna works is by
                using feed-line radiation. This is not what you want for an apartment
                antenna. If you try to choke off those common-mode currents on the
                transmission line the antenna will not work so it's not a good candidate
                (for any use IMHO).

                Chuck - N8DNX