Re: What accessories should I buy or build to get started using my FT-89

  • Tom Glaab
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2012
      > The radio is stock, but I also bought a LDG Z11 pro tuner and the LDG
      > meter. What other accessories are "must haves"?

      I think you need to ask yourself what you want to do with the radio.

      I do digimodes, so my SignaLink USB is essential. There are many other
      interfaces, but I like that the SL has its own soundcard so I don't
      accidentally transmit Windows sounds over the air.

      A proper antenna is a must. Are you in a fixed location or do you expect
      to go portable? Do you have restrictions on what the neighbors might
      see? If you want to explore VHF/UHF weak signal modes you should expect
      to build a separate antenna infrastructure for that.

      If you want to work portable, a good carry case is essential. I have a
      wheelie bag that holds the radio, interfaces, and netbook computer in
      the top, and all my coax, power cords, radials (essential for short
      vertical antennas), and most of an ATAS antenna in the bottom part.

      Good luck with the new radio.

      tg
      AJ4UQ.
    • Joe Mason
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2012
        Think about A MD 100 microphone Also  The Audio Is 100 times Better on that mic or the DTMF  mic  If you are going to use it As A Base rig ..

        But that is up to you what you want to do with it  I myself prefer I manual Tuner but that's me  What works for me Might not work for you ..

        Joe AK4OR