Re:[FT897] Rig Keys Down on 15 Meters

  • n3nz@rcn.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2, 2011
      Thank you Chuck, Steve and Scot. All three of you mentioned RF or stray RF in the shack.
      The CW interface cable is home brew and the CAT 62 cable improvised it per Fil, IZ0INX and attached it to
      the Mic jack.
      I'll stop over the weekend at the R/S store and get some more Toroids and attach them to both cables and test the results next CW contest. I also have Toroids on both ends of the key board.
      My Antennas are R-5 vertical and a Butternut two element beam.
      I simulated a test for about ten minutes with the dummy load and it was ok. Could not duplicate the key down.

      I'll keep you informed when I solve the RF problem.

      73, Noel (OK) N3NZ
    • Charles Scott
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2, 2011
        Noel:

        Of course the best thing would be to see if there's a way to keep the RF
        out of your shack. You may not be able to do that if the antennas are
        real close to your shack, or if there's other conductors near your
        antenna that are picking up RF and bringing it into the house. You
        should, however, try to keep the RF at your antenna (less stray means
        more radiated and less noise back into your antenna). If you describe
        how your antennas are setup, how the transmission lines come in, and
        what you have in the way of other (lightning) grounding, we may be able
        to give you more suggestions. In any case, a 10 turn coil a foot in
        diameter where the transmission lines come off the antennas and for all
        your lines coming into the house would be a good start.

        Chuck - N8DNX