Antenna jack question

  • liegong
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 7, 2011
      Good morning,

      I have a question about dealing with the two antenna jacks. I have a multiband HF antenna (10-80m) and a second antenna that covers 6m/2m and 70cm. As you all are aware, the 6m goes through the HF. Is it possible to move the 6M over to the VHF/UHF jack? If not, has anyone on the list figure out a low-loss configuration to bring the 6M signal over? At this point, all I can think of is using a pair of antenna switches - one to split off the 6M from the VHF/UHF and a second one to bring the HF and 6M together on the HF side.

      Thanks,
      Scott
      KR7H
    • Carl Wulfestieg
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 9, 2011
        Scott-
        Wouldn't it be easier to just use antennas with the same bands as your radio? Also, does anyone actually use 6M? And then, since you're an "Extra", you probably realize that operating 6M using your "80M - 10M" antenna would be another idea? LOL
        73 Carl WZ4CW

      • Cortland Richmond
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 9, 2011
          There's no way inside the 897; it uses the same PA for HF and 6.

          There IS a way to get 6 Meter RF over to the VHF antenna(s), but it's
          expensive: External duplexers. A 2 port 2-30 MHz/146/440 duplexer like a
          Diamond MX-610 hooks to the HF antenna connector and split the 6 meters
          off. At this point, if have a separate six meter antenna that's all you
          need. If you use one VHF multiband antenna, you need a second duplexer,
          such as a Comet CF-530 ( Universal Radio calls this a "backwards
          duplexer) to combine the 2m/70cm output with the 6 Meter RF from the
          first duplexer.

          As I said, expensive.

          Cortland
          KA5S

          On Tue Nov 8, 2011 10:14 pm ((PST)) , Scott, KR7H wrote:

          I have a question about dealing with the two antenna jacks. I have a multiband HF antenna (10-80m) and a second antenna that covers 6m/2m and 70cm. As you all are aware, the 6m goes through the HF. Is it possible to move the 6M over to the VHF/UHF jack? If not, has anyone on the list figure out a low-loss configuration to bring the 6M signal over? At this point, all I can think of is using a pair of antenna switches - one to split off the 6M from the VHF/UHF and a second one to bring the HF and 6M together on the HF side.
        • Joel
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 9, 2011
            I use an MFJ993 auto tuner and plug the 6M antenna into Ant2 jack so I
            can push
            a button and switch over. I run a local 6M net each week and am eagerly
            waiting some
            E Skip or sunspot numbers of Biblical proportions to open the band.

            I am not sure of the ' loss ' involved. I do know that the 993 has a
            few spikes of noise
            within the 6M band so if I am working with very weak signals I swap the
            coax to direct to
            the rig If you are using 6M for local, FM or repeater work a db or so
            of loss probably does not matter much.

            On 11/7/2011 11:03 AM, liegong wrote:

            > Good morning,
            >
            > I have a question about dealing with the two antenna jacks. I have a
            > multiband HF antenna (10-80m) and a second antenna that covers 6m/2m
            > and 70cm. As you all are aware, the 6m goes through the HF. Is it
            > possible to move the 6M over to the VHF/UHF jack? If not, has anyone
            > on the list figure out a low-loss configuration to bring the 6M signal
            > over? At this point, all I can think of is using a pair of antenna
            > switches - one to split off the 6M from the VHF/UHF and a second one
            > to bring the HF and 6M together on the HF side.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Scott
            > KR7H
            >

            > No virus found in this message.

          • Radio_Randy
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 9, 2011
              Hi Scott,

              I would consider a diplexer to split your antenna output between HF and 6 meters. You'll probably need another one to bring your 6 meter and 2/440 signals together at the antenna.

              These items are not particularly expensive and have reasonably low loss.

              73, Randy N7CKJ

              --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "liegong" <scott.mist@...> wrote:

              > Good morning,
              >
              > I have a question about dealing with the two antenna jacks. I have a multiband HF antenna (10-80m) and a second antenna that covers 6m/2m and 70cm. As you all are aware, the 6m goes through the HF. Is it possible to move the 6M over to the VHF/UHF jack? If not, has anyone on the list figure out a low-loss configuration to bring the 6M signal over? At this point, all I can think of is using a pair of antenna switches - one to split off the 6M from the VHF/UHF and a second one to bring the HF and 6M together on the HF side.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Scott
              > KR7H

            • Radio_Randy
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 9, 2011
                Hi Carl,

                I use 6 meters, almost exclusively, in at least two ARRL contests. From what I see in the contest results, I'm not entirely alone.

                73, Randy N7CKJ

                --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Wulfestieg" <ag4ls@...> wrote:

                > Scott-
                > Wouldn't it be easier to just use antennas with the same bands as your radio? Also, does anyone actually use 6M? And then, since you're an "Extra", you probably realize that operating 6M using your "80M - 10M" antenna would be another idea? LOL
                > 73 Carl WZ4CW

              • Radio_Randy
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 9, 2011
                  Oh, I don't know...

                  Diplexer/duplexers are probably cheaper (and less complicated) than a couple of "good" antenna switches.

                  73, Randy N7CKJ

                  --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Cortland Richmond <ka5s@...> wrote:

                  > There's no way inside the 897; it uses the same PA for HF and 6.
                  >
                  > There IS a way to get 6 Meter RF over to the VHF antenna(s), but it's
                  > expensive: External duplexers. A 2 port 2-30 MHz/146/440 duplexer like a
                  > Diamond MX-610 hooks to the HF antenna connector and split the 6 meters
                  > off. At this point, if have a separate six meter antenna that's all you
                  > need. If you use one VHF multiband antenna, you need a second duplexer,
                  > such as a Comet CF-530 ( Universal Radio calls this a "backwards
                  > duplexer) to combine the 2m/70cm output with the 6 Meter RF from the
                  > first duplexer.
                  >
                  > As I said, expensive.
                  >
                  > Cortland
                  > KA5S

                • liegong
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 11, 2011
                    Thank you all,

                    I had decided to use the duplexer option due to lower loss, lower cost, and simplicity. I just wanted to hear from the group as to whether there was a better solution.

                    As to the earlier quip about being an AE, it just means that I am good at taking tests. Not that I am a high speed ham. I have an Elmer who is a general and is trying to teach me his 60+ years of experience. I have a long ways to go before I am anyone's Elmer.

                    Thanks again,
                    Scott/ KR7H