Re: 2 meter ssb problem

  • Gary
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 20, 2011
      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Gary" <freeborn56@...> wrote:

      > Good Afternoon
      > I have used my 897d for 3 years on HF ssb all bands and FM and
      > have always received good signal reports. My local ARC just started
      > a 2 meter ssb net and I have been checking in to that. The problem is
      > that I am getting reports of a high pitched tone along with my audio.
      > I have tried turning off all the digital stuff and did a reset and am getting close to running out of things to try. Are there settings that
      > need to be made to operate ssb on 2 meters. How did you set things up. I have a 2 meter loop installed on the tower so polarity is not a issue.
      > Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > TNX Gary KE7KPI

      Hi Again Everyone
      I think I have the answer. What I realized is that there was enough difference in frequencies between me and the other xmiter that I was picking up the carrier from the other trans. Getting exactly on freq is much harder at these freqs. It is not anything like 2m fm. I need to learn how to match freqs by ear and not rely on the indicated frequency.
      Thanks for all the inputs
      Gary KE7KPI
    • Rob Stampfli
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 1, 2011
        On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 02:32:47AM -0000, Gary wrote:
        > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Gary" <freeborn56@...> wrote:
        > > I have used my 897d for 3 years on HF ssb all bands and FM and
        > > have always received good signal reports. My local ARC just started
        > > a 2 meter ssb net and I have been checking in to that. The problem is
        > > that I am getting reports of a high pitched tone along with my audio.
        > > I have tried turning off all the digital stuff and did a reset and am getting close to running out of things to try. Are there settings that
        > > need to be made to operate ssb on 2 meters. How did you set things up. I have a 2 meter loop installed on the tower so polarity is not a issue.
        > > Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
        > >
        > Hi Again Everyone
        > I think I have the answer. What I realized is that there was enough difference in frequencies between me and the other xmiter that I was picking up the carrier from the other trans. Getting exactly on freq is much harder at these freqs. It is not anything like 2m fm. I need to learn how to match freqs by ear and not rely on the indicated frequency.

        On SSB there should not be any noticeable carrier. Is the problem
        that others are reporting this on your signal (as seems to be indicated
        by your first post), or that you are hearing it on others (second post)?

        As far as frequency stability, yes 2m SSB can be a challenge in that
        multiple rigs will often differ several tens (or even hundreds) of Hz
        at those frequencies. I have both an 857 and and 897. The 857 does
        not have a TCXO (high stability frequency standard), and wanders a bit
        on 2m SSB. But, your (and my) 897 should come with a TCXO, which should
        help in this regard, although when I chat on 2m SSB with two other
        friends who have 897s, we notice maybe a 30 Hz variation among our rigs.

        Rob / KD8WK
      • Jim
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 2, 2011
          Hi,
          Sounds like maybe a hot ctcss tone. Not sure if ctcss can be turned on and off for 2m ssb or not but if it can, try turning it off. Also, I have found that the 897 and 857 's have really loud transmit audio. They will amplify background noise like a hum from a fluorescent light. I set my ssb mic gain at about 35 and my fm mic gain at 23 from 100 on my 857d in the mobile.

          73 de Jim
          NJ3T