Re: [FT897] Re: power supply

  • Patrick
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 31, 2011
      Will this fit in the 897?

      On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 11:30 AM, perryc <canoemaneh@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Try out these on ebay.
      >
      > http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Rechargeable-Lithium-ion-Battery-12VDC-9800mAh-/320610055087?pt=US_Batteries&hash=item4aa5d933af#ht_3979wt_989
      >
      > Ke6anm
      >
      > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Jason Turning <jturning@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm using this K2 Energy Lithium Iron Phosphate 6.8 Ah battery that only
      > weighs
      > > about 1.8 lbs. I have the version with built in Battery Management
      > System that
      > > protects it and allows it to be charged by regular 12v chargers (as long
      > at not
      > > conditioning/pulse type). Works great and is good for 25 amps
      > continuous, 2000
      > > cycles, and no cycle loss for taking it down below 50%. It also has a
      > better
      > > voltage profile, 13.3 volts fully charged. You can run the rig at full
      > power
      > > for a portable outing on this and should be good for a few hours. Longer
      > if you
      > > turn the power down or have a solar panel. The 6.8 Ah (they say 7.0 Ah)
      > version
      > > with BMS is only $139, and they also have a 10 Ah version about 2.2 lbs.
      > I have
      > > the datasheet from the manufacturer for the 10 Ah version if you're
      > interested.
      > >
      > > Jason - N6WBL
      > >

      > > On 10/25/11 13:38, Ralph Apache wrote:
      > > > Right now, I have an AGM battery as back-up. Does any one have anything
      > > > more portable? Friend suggested the small battery sold on the
      > Buddi-Pole
      > > > site.
      > > >
      > > > Sent from my iPhone v/r Ralph

    • themayor_md
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 13, 2013
        Sorry for the dumb question, I do not see anything in the manual. Am I correct in assuming that nce the batteries are installed, you cannot use/switch to external power without removing the batteries?

        Thanks,

        K3CPR

        73
      • Carl Wulfestieg
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 13, 2013
          No Name-
          No, you are not correct- When external power is applied to the FT-897, the batteries are magically disconnected even though they're still installed- (This is where the disclaimer goes that says that if you burn up your radio after following my advice, it's not my fault - LOL!! HA HA!! But I won't put it in. HA HA!! again)
          73 Carl WZ4CW, SKCC 918, FISTS 13491

        • Chris Robinson
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 13, 2013
            When batteries or single battery is installed and external power is
            provided, it automatically draws from the external source. I do this often.
            I have an Astron 35M supply I use in the station, and when the power fails
            it is nice to operate from battery. Th 897D is an excellent rig, only minor
            issues with it, and none are with the rig, but with the user!

            The only other question to ask about the power is why does it shut off
            during a power failure when there is a charged battery in place, instead I
            have to wait a few seconds then turn on again from battery. It doesnt
            matter what way the switch is placed in regards to Battery A or B. My
            battery is in Bank A, and so is the switch.

            On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 9:14 AM, Carl Wulfestieg <ag4ls@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > No Name-
            > No, you are not correct- When external power is applied to the FT-897, the
            > batteries are magically disconnected even though they're still installed-
            > (This is where the disclaimer goes that says that if you burn up your radio
            > after following my advice, it's not my fault - LOL!! HA HA!! But I won't
            > put it in. HA HA!! again)
            > 73 Carl WZ4CW, SKCC 918, FISTS 13491

            Making life hell for others since 1973

            Mr.C.Robinson
            73 DE KF6NFW

          • Jason Turning
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 13, 2013
              [Related answer]

              If you want an easy battery backup in the shack you can purchase the following
              or roll your own:

              http://ki0bk.no-ip.com/~PWRgate/LLPG/Site/Welcome.html

              This is really great if you opt for something other than the internal batteries
              (like the K2 Energy LiFePo I prefer), as this has the added benefit of keeping
              your portable batteries topped off via your power supply as well as instantly
              switching to them in a power outage or if you turn off your power supply. I
              have a 20 Ah and 7 Ah gel hooked up at all times, and occasionally plug in my
              LiFePo if I need it charged up after a portable trip.

              Jason - N6WBL

              On 03/13/2013 03:42 PM, Chris Robinson wrote:
              > When batteries or single battery is installed and external power is
              > provided, it automatically draws from the external source. I do this often.
              > I have an Astron 35M supply I use in the station, and when the power fails
              > it is nice to operate from battery. Th 897D is an excellent rig, only minor
              > issues with it, and none are with the rig, but with the user!
              >
              > The only other question to ask about the power is why does it shut off
              > during a power failure when there is a charged battery in place, instead I
              > have to wait a few seconds then turn on again from battery. It doesnt
              > matter what way the switch is placed in regards to Battery A or B. My
              > battery is in Bank A, and so is the switch.
            • dimis400
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 13, 2013
                Hello from Greece I am newbie and I am waiting to receive my call sign. I have the following setup.YAESU ft 897 with WOUXUN SPS30II and LGD AT-200 PRO II. My question is since wouxun is my only power converter how I am going to power both ft897 and the antenna tuner with the same power generator (WOUXUN SPS30II).

              • PA0DMM
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 17, 2013
                  My setup is almost the same FT897ND / KAPO1230M (power supply) / LDG Z11 pro2 (antenna tuner) and all power leads are connected to the KAPO1230M power supply and is perfectly working. I tried to used internal batteries in the tuner and that also worked very well.

                  73 PA0DMM

                  dimischris@... schreef op 13-12-2013 17:16:
                  ��

                  Hello from Greece I am newbie and I am waiting to receive my call sign. I have the following setup.YAESU ft 897 with WOUXUN SPS30II and LGD AT-200 PRO II. My question is since wouxun is my only power converter how I am going to power both ft897 and the antenna tuner with the same power generator (WOUXUN SPS30II).

                • Matthew King
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 18, 2013
                    Hi - welcome to ham radio!  It appears that the AT-200PROII has a jack on the back for a 'wall wart' type power supply of 13 volts.  You could also take an appropriate cord from an old 'wall wart' and attach it to your Wouxon power supply.

                    Good luck and good DX!

                    Matt
                    KK4CPS

                    On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 11:16 AM, <dimischris@...> wrote:

                    Hello from Greece I am newbie and I am waiting to receive my call sign. I have the following setup.YAESU ft 897 with WOUXUN SPS30II and LGD AT-200 PRO II. My question is since wouxun is my only power converter how I am going to power both ft897 and the antenna tuner with the same power generator (WOUXUN SPS30II).

                  • Joel
                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 18, 2013
                      I power my FT897 and two antenna tuners ( MFJ993 and LDG AT600 )  from the same 25A supply no problem.

                      On 12/13/2013 10:16 AM, dimischris@... wrote:

                      Hello from Greece I am newbie and I am waiting to receive my call sign. I have the following setup.YAESU ft 897 with WOUXUN SPS30II and LGD AT-200 PRO II. My question is since wouxun is my only power converter how I am going to power both ft897 and the antenna tuner with the same power generator (WOUXUN SPS30II).

                      No virus found in this message.

                      KQØJ
                    • Alex Netherton
                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 19, 2013
                        I have a Yaesu FT-950, an Icom IC-7000, a LDG AT-100ProII autotuner, a MFJ-993B autotuner, a Signalink USB digital box, a LP-Pan 2 box for the 950, plus a Yaesu FT-7100M vhf/uhf rig, and all are running off a Samlex SEC 1235M 25 amp supply! Not all at the same time, of course! Well, I can receive on all three. All fed with Anderson Powerpoles®, going to an 8 connector Powerpole® junction. Makes things very easy. See http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-powerpoles/

                        You swear at them when attaching them to wires, but swear by them when popping on or off a connection.

                        Remember that your antenna tuner will only draw a small amount of power when tuning, and will stay tuned from then until you go to a different frequency. Just connect both things to the power supply, and you will have no problem.

                        73 de KC4BO

                        On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Joel <hiqual@...> wrote:

                        I power my FT897 and two antenna tuners ( MFJ993 and LDG AT600 )  from the same 25A supply no problem.

                        On 12/13/2013 10:16 AM, dimischris@... wrote:

                        Hello from Greece I am newbie and I am waiting to receive my call sign. I have the following setup.YAESU ft 897 with WOUXUN SPS30II and LGD AT-200 PRO II. My question is since wouxun is my only power converter how I am going to power both ft897 and the antenna tuner with the same power generator (WOUXUN SPS30II).

                        No virus found in this message.

                        KQØJ

                      • YT9TP Pedja
                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 20, 2013
                          On 20.12.2013 4:02, Alex Netherton wrote:
                          > ... All fed with Anderson Powerpoles®, going to an
                          > 8 connector Powerpole® junction. Makes things very easy. See
                          > http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-powerpoles/
                          >
                          > You swear at them when attaching them to wires, but swear by them when
                          > popping on or off a connection.

                          Exactly! Happened to me :)

                          Pedja YT9TP

                          ---
                        • ae5ru
                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 20, 2013
                            check out my bio page on QRZ I use my power supply to it;s max. but even when using the ALS-500 and any one radio ~ amp combination it isn't overloaded, hooked to my power supply is: a kenwood TS-B2000, FT897D, TS-450S, IC-7000,plastar HF auto tuner, antenna switch, powered speaker, ALS500 and a antenna rotor digital read out. sounds like a lot but I only transmit on one radio/ radio amp combination at a time. I receive with all radios at the same time with no issues.
                            like others have said, hook em up and have fun.
                            73s
                            AE5RU
                            Steve.