RE: [FT897] Re: QRM

  • DOUG
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 30, 2011
      -----Original Message-----
      From: John Salmon <john@...>
      Sent: Friday, September 30, 2011 9:30 PM
      To: FT897@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [FT897] Re: QRM

      <The calling of new amateurs as qrm is actually pretty funny <smile>. I'll
      have to remember that.

      Generally qrn is classified as noise static and the like while qrm is
      generally used to denote actual interference from another operator - this is
      of course not the academic definitions but more so general usage.
      As was pointed out qrn is non man made interference such as storms , solar
      conditions and the like while qrm is mad made or man induced interference

      My suggestions on antenna height, condition of coax and connectors may
      improve both modes of interference. The simple use of the RF gain knob will
      not fix interference but will make it more enjoyable to listen to the radio.

      The basic answer to the question is - determine if the noise you are hearing
      is man made - power lines, plasma tv's etc etc or non man made, solar
      storms, local storms etc etc - the first you can fix or at best improve by a
      noise canceller or with the help of the ACMA, the second is simply the joy
      of HF in a bad solar cycle period and in this case you should make sure your
      signal has the best chance of being received by fine tuning the antenna
      system

      Down here the problem with the foundation license and the pressure on the F
      operators to upgrade is that total importance is put on what is in the box
      rather then what is connected to the box. The FT897 is an excellent radio
      for foundation members but you have to match it to an antenna system that is
      just as good. The squid pol

    • Trevor Scroop
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 1, 2011
        cheers
      • Radio_Randy
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 3, 2011
          Trevor,

          Did you ever figure your noise problem out?

          73, Randy N7CKJ

          --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Trevor Scroop <tjscroop@...> wrote:

          > I am having a problem with QRM.
          > I am getting a solid 4.9 QRM and it is driving me crazy.
          > I using a squid pole as the antenna for 40m, so I will recheck my cables.
          > Is there something in the menu?
          >
          > Cheers & 73's
          >
          > Trevor - vk5ftjs
          > Australia
          >
          > Sent from my iPhone

        • John Salmon
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 4, 2011
            >Trevor,
            >Did you ever figure your noise problem out?
            >73, Randy N7CKJ

            I don't know about Trevor but I just put a Mag loop up, covers 10 to 30M ,
            no noise on 20M! works so good I am going to buy one for 40M. Bit pricey but
            if in a town situation where you don't have the room - it works perfectly -
            height is always good but if mounted vertical then will work at low heights
            John