RE: [FT897] Need Indoor Antennae for Apartment

  • Hank Lambert
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 31 3:22 AM
      No need to move, there are plenty of designs and the bands are doing better.
      Do you have an attic? I have an FT-897D with the LDG AT-897D tuner and have
      put a 19.5' dipole antenna in my attic. It is not optimal by any definition,
      but it does allow me to get on HF and make contacts in a deed restricted
      neighborhood.

      73,

      Hank Lambert

      KB4MTO/TA5ZC

      hank@...

      kb4mto@...

      www.hanklambert.com

      PGP Key: 0x9DFFC21E

      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 31 10:50 AM
        I agree that more information would help.  But lacking that,I'll give it a try.  don't try to over think this.  Yes, nothing can beat a full size antenna on any band.  But like you, I cannot put up a full size 160m antennae more or less a full size 80m.  wouldn't it be nice though.  Have you tried to Google "ham radio apartment antennas?"  There are a lot of sites out there with these.  Ham Radio Universe has a wealth of ideas.  AC6V's web site has some good ones, too.
        This is one that I have tried for just for fun because it looked interesting.  It worked quited well on most of the band.  It is out of "Simple and Fun Antennas for Hams" by the ARRL.

        You will need:  1 empty 2 liter soda bottle (I used Sunkist Orange, Yum), 32 ft of #14 - #18 copper wire (20 ft for the loading coil, 12 for the radiator), 32 ft of insulated wire for the counter poise, 2 dog bone insulators (I used 2 pieces of plastic clothes hanger), 2 - 3 alligator clips, and of course coax to the rig with a connector on one side.

        1. Cut 13' of the bare wire for the radiator.  1 foot of it will be used to secure the insulators (6" each end)
        2. Make the holes in the soda bottle for the coil wires to start and finish.  The wind the coil with the rest of the bare wire.  Make sure you leave enough spacing for the alligator clip to attach.
        3. You can secure the coil with drops of RTV silicon or duct tape.
        4. You can connect the coil end to the radiator by soldering it or using an alligator clip.  (I used the clip, the antenna packs up easily in a suit case for travel.)
        5. Solder Alligator clip to the center conductor of the coax.
        6. Solder the counter poise to the shield of the coax.

        That is basically it.  You tap the coil for the lowest SWR on each band.  The length of the counter poise should get you on 40M and above.  Just fold it back of roll it up to length for the higher bands.  By the way, MFJ make a more rifined version of this antenna but I like to build my own.  It is  fun and you learn a lot.

        Hope this helps.

        Steve Reyes
        KB6HZQ
        73

        Fighting Cancer because "I don't believe in the no win scenario!"

      • Chandranet
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 31 1:34 PM
          Oops! I missed that... I just saw Indoor antenna on title (small browser originally).

          Still, the rest of what I said is relevant in any case, at least from my own lessons learned.
          David
          KF5IIL

          --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Dennis <n8bmb1@...> wrote:

          > The title says "APARTMENT"

        • DragonHawk
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 3, 2011
            Now that type of antennae sounds really great. At least I will get the chance to try my hand at soldering for the first time,
            v/r Ralph WH7PD

            On Wed Aug 31st, 2011 7:50 AM HST STEVE REYES wrote:

            >I agree that more information would help.  But lacking that,I'll give it a try.  don't try to over think this.  Yes, nothing can beat a full size antenna on any band.  But like you, I cannot put up a full size 160m antennae more or less a full size 80m.  wouldn't it be nice though.  Have you tried to Google "ham radio apartment antennas?"  There are a lot of sites out there with these.  Ham Radio Universe has a wealth of ideas.  AC6V's web site has some good ones, too.
            >This is one that I have tried for just for fun because it looked interesting.  It worked quited well on most of the band.  It is out of "Simple and Fun Antennas for Hams" by the ARRL.
            >
            >You will need:  1 empty 2 liter soda bottle (I used Sunkist Orange, Yum), 32 ft of #14 - #18 copper wire (20 ft for the loading coil, 12 for the radiator), 32 ft of insulated wire for the counter poise, 2 dog bone insulators (I used 2 pieces of plastic clothes hanger), 2 - 3 alligator clips, and of course coax to the rig with a connector on one side.
            >
            >1. Cut 13' of the bare wire for the radiator.  1 foot of it will be used to secure the insulators (6" each end)
            >2. Make the holes in the soda bottle for the coil wires to start and finish.  The wind the coil with the rest of the bare wire.  Make sure you leave enough spacing for the alligator clip to attach.
            >3. You can secure the coil with drops of RTV silicon or duct tape.
            >4. You can connect the coil end to the radiator by soldering it or using an alligator clip.  (I used the clip, the antenna packs up easily in a suit case for travel.)
            >5. Solder Alligator clip to the center conductor of the coax.
            >6. Solder the counter poise to the shield of the coax.
            >
            >That is basically it.  You tap the coil for the lowest SWR on each band.  The length of the counter poise should get you on 40M and above.  Just fold it back of roll it up to length for the higher bands.  By the way, MFJ make a more rifined version of this antenna but I like to build my own.  It is  fun and you learn a lot.
            >
            >Hope this helps.

            >Steve Reyes
            >KB6HZQ
            >73
            >

            >Fighting Cancer because "I don't believe in the no win scenario!"

          • cvarner52
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 6, 2011
              For 2m/70cm, I use a slim jim from n9tax.com -- or, of course, you could build one of those after you build your HF antenna.
            • william
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 9, 2011
                You can use the metal slinkies. 2 in a dipole configuration with the coil set apart will get you onto 40m without a AMU. If you add another and wire wrap the two ends on one leg and solder it can become resonant on 20M With a AMU it will tune from 6M to 40M (with a LDG 897plus tuner)

                Will
                2E0WHN

                --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Hank Lambert" <hank@...> wrote:

                > No need to move, there are plenty of designs and the bands are doing better.
                > Do you have an attic? I have an FT-897D with the LDG AT-897D tuner and have
                > put a 19.5' dipole antenna in my attic. It is not optimal by any definition,
                > but it does allow me to get on HF and make contacts in a deed restricted
                > neighborhood.
                >

                > 73,
                >

                > Hank Lambert
                >
                > KB4MTO/TA5ZC
                >
                > hank@...
                >
                > kb4mto@...
                >
                > www.hanklambert.com
                >
                > PGP Key: 0x9DFFC21E

              • DragonHawk
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 9, 2011
                  To all,
                  Thank you for great ideas. I do not have an attic, porch or paned windows. Our windows are louvers with aluminum sidings. The whole apartment complex is wood and made in the late 60's. Will probably work on several designs mentioned.
                  v/r
                  Ralph WH7PD

                • af2c@njdxa.org
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 9, 2011
                    An interesting antenna is the "Pole Lamp" antenna:

                    Bill Orr's, W6SAI Pole Lamp Antenna.

                    Bill Orr published the information about this antenna in a book called
                    "Simple Low Cost Wire Antennas" and in the August 1974 issue of "CQ
                    Magazine." If you can find the book, it will be a worthy addition to your
                    collection.

                    You might try to "Google" the antenna.

                    73,
                    Jay/AF2C