Yaesu FT-8x7D Receiver Sensitivity And Power Output Problems – Solved!

  • aa5fr
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2011
      I recently had a receiver sensitivity problem with my Yaesu 857D. Virtually no S meter reading and low audio except with the loudest signals on HF and VHF even with volume turned to loudest and very low SSB output.

      I also have a FT-897D...so far no problems....but according to a comment that was just left at my latest blog post, there appears to be a design flaw in ALL Yaesu 8x7 rigs....including the 897. You might read his comment about the design problem that causes failures every 2-3 years.

      I solved my problem for $100. If interested, check out my blog posting to maybe solve same problem for $3.

      Blog entry at http://www.aa5fr.com/2011/08/yaesu-ft-857d-receiver-sensitivity-and-power-output-problems-solved/

      73,
      Robert
      AA5FR
      http://AA5FR.com
    • KENT TRIMBLE, K9ZTV
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2011
        Many long-time Yaesu owners replace the supplied Murata ceramic filters
        with INRADs immediately upon buying Yaesu rigs.

        I have repeatedly done so since my first Yaesu in 1974 and have never
        suffered a filter failure.

        73,

        Kent K9ZTV

        On 8/2/2011 10:57 AM, aa5fr wrote:

        > I recently had a receiver sensitivity problem with my Yaesu 857D.
        > Virtually no S meter reading and low audio except with the loudest
        > signals on HF and VHF even with volume turned to loudest and very low
        > SSB output.
        >
        > I also have a FT-897D...so far no problems....but according to a
        > comment that was just left at my latest blog post, there appears to be
        > a design flaw in ALL Yaesu 8x7 rigs....including the 897. You might
        > read his comment about the design problem that causes failures every
        > 2-3 years.
        >
        > I solved my problem for $100. If interested, check out my blog posting
        > to maybe solve same problem for $3.
        >
        > Blog entry at
        > http://www.aa5fr.com/2011/08/yaesu-ft-857d-receiver-sensitivity-and-power-output-problems-solved/
        >
        > 73,
        > Robert
        > AA5FR

        -----
        No virus found in this message.

      • aa5fr
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2011
          Thanks Kent...I've had no trouble with my 897D so far in the past four years with the stock filters...nor with another 857d or with two 817Ds I've owned in the past 4-5 years.

          From what I am hearing, I may have been lucky up until now. And just one $100 repair out of all those rigs, especially with both 857Ds and both 817Ds run as mobile rigs, is not too bad.

          Of course, this particular 857D is the only one I have run as permanent mobile the entire time...which makes me wonder if that might have been causative.

          Robert AA5FR
          http://AA5FR.com

          --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "KENT TRIMBLE, K9ZTV" <k9ztv@...> wrote:

          > Many long-time Yaesu owners replace the supplied Murata ceramic filters
          > with INRADs immediately upon buying Yaesu rigs.
          >
          > I have repeatedly done so since my first Yaesu in 1974 and have never
          > suffered a filter failure.
          >
          > 73,
          >
          > Kent K9ZTV
          >

          > On 8/2/2011 10:57 AM, aa5fr wrote:
          > >
          > > I recently had a receiver sensitivity problem with my Yaesu 857D.
          > > Virtually no S meter reading and low audio except with the loudest
          > > signals on HF and VHF even with volume turned to loudest and very low
          > > SSB output.
          > >
          > > I also have a FT-897D...so far no problems....but according to a
          > > comment that was just left at my latest blog post, there appears to be
          > > a design flaw in ALL Yaesu 8x7 rigs....including the 897. You might
          > > read his comment about the design problem that causes failures every
          > > 2-3 years.
          > >
          > > I solved my problem for $100. If interested, check out my blog posting
          > > to maybe solve same problem for $3.
          > >
          > > Blog entry at
          > > http://www.aa5fr.com/2011/08/yaesu-ft-857d-receiver-sensitivity-and-power-output-problems-solved/
          > >
          > > 73,
          > > Robert
          > > AA5FR
          > >

          > -----
          > No virus found in this message.

        • William
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 8, 2011
            Hi Robert

            Just curious. Did you have any optional filters installed?

            Bill N7EU