Re: 6m no tx

  • kd0gdv
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 3, 2011
      I use the 2m/440 jack on 6m because I'm heard better and I hear better. It does work. My elmer, an old-time 6m guy, told me he always runs 6m from his 2m/440 jack on his 897.

      Richard
      KDØGDV

      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Jason Turning <jturning@...> wrote:

      > You using the right antenna jack? You mentioning 2m/440 makes me wonder. HF/6m
      > is on one connector and 2m/70cm on the other. You get power out on HF?
      >
      > Jason - N6WBL
      >
      > On 07/02/2011 12:27 PM, Kurt wrote:
      > > Hi all- seems the 897d will not transmit on 6m. Red transmit light does come on, but no power indication on meter or mod as with other bands. Tried using dummy load and tuning via LDG - will not tune - as in no signal.
      > > 2m/440 works just fine.
      > >
      > > Any ideas? Unit purch new abt 3 months ago.
      > > Thanks.
      > > Kurt

    • Dave Patrick
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 3, 2011
        so how do you do that then please ?

        I use the 2m/440 jack on 6m because I'm heard better and I hear better. It does work. My elmer, an old-time 6m guy, told me he always runs 6m from his 2m/440 jack on his 897.

        Richard
        KDØGDV

        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Jason Turning <jturning@...> wrote:

        > You using the right antenna jack? You mentioning 2m/440 makes me wonder. HF/6m
        > is on one connector and 2m/70cm on the other. You get power out on HF?
        >
        > Jason - N6WBL
        >
        > On 07/02/2011 12:27 PM, Kurt wrote:
        > > Hi all- seems the 897d will not transmit on 6m. Red transmit light does come on, but no power indication on meter or mod as with other bands. Tried using dummy load and tuning via LDG - will not tune - as in no signal.
        > > 2m/440 works just fine.
        > >
        > > Any ideas? Unit purch new abt 3 months ago.
        > > Thanks.
        > > Kurt

      • Kurt
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 3, 2011
          Found the problem - unit was transmitting, but at minimum power - result was no receive on a friends receiver [which started the whole thing]. Thanks for the input.

          --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Jason Turning <jturning@...> wrote:

          > You using the right antenna jack? You mentioning 2m/440 makes me wonder. HF/6m
          > is on one connector and 2m/70cm on the other. You get power out on HF?
          >
          > Jason - N6WBL
          >
          > On 07/02/2011 12:27 PM, Kurt wrote:
          > > Hi all- seems the 897d will not transmit on 6m. Red transmit light does come on, but no power indication on meter or mod as with other bands. Tried using dummy load and tuning via LDG - will not tune - as in no signal.
          > > 2m/440 works just fine.
          > >
          > > Any ideas? Unit purch new abt 3 months ago.
          > > Thanks.
          > > Kurt

        • Dennis
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 3, 2011
            On 07/03/2011 11:09, Dave Patrick wrote:

            > so how do you do that then please ?

            Apparently it doesn't work since you now have no tx.

            --
            Dennis - N8BMB

          • Radio_Randy
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 3, 2011
              I would seriously consider getting a new Elmer.

              73, Randy N7CKJ

            • af2c@njdxa.org
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 3, 2011
                Perhaps the "Elmer" is as fictional as the call. Check FCC database and QRZ!

                Let's not waste the bandwidth on this one.

                73,
                Jay/AF2C

                At 09:20 PM 7/3/2011 +0000, you wrote:

                >I would seriously consider getting a new Elmer.
                >
                >73, Randy N7CKJ
                >
                >--- In <mailto:FT897%40yahoogroups.com>FT897@yahoogroups.com, "kd0gdv"
                ><kd0gdv@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I use the 2m/440 jack on 6m because I'm heard better and I hear better.
                > It does work. My elmer, an old-time 6m guy, told me he always runs 6m
                > from his 2m/440 jack on his 897.
                > >
                > > Richard
                > > KDØGDV
                > >
                > > --- In <mailto:FT897%40yahoogroups.com>FT897@yahoogroups.com, Jason
                > Turning <jturning@> wrote:
                > > >

                > > > You using the right antenna jack? You mentioning 2m/440 makes me
                > wonder. HF/6m
                > > > is on one connector and 2m/70cm on the other. You get power out on HF?
                > > >
                > > > Jason - N6WBL

                > does come on, but no power indication on meter or mod as with other
                > bands. Tried using dummy load and tuning via LDG - will not tune - as in
                > no signal.

              • Joe
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 3, 2011
                  I am seriously laughing at KD0GDV's name...sorry...Richard Head. Is this
                  name for real?

                  Must be..he is treasurer of his local ham club.

                  I would seriously consider getting a new Elmer.

                  73, Randy N7CKJ

                  --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "kd0gdv" <kd0gdv@...> wrote:

                  > I use the 2m/440 jack on 6m because I'm heard better and I hear better.
                  > It does work. My elmer, an old-time 6m guy, told me he always runs 6m
                  > from his 2m/440 jack on his 897.
                  >
                  > Richard
                  > KDØGDV
                  >
                  > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Jason Turning <jturning@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > You using the right antenna jack? You mentioning 2m/440 makes me wonder.
                  > > HF/6m
                  > > is on one connector and 2m/70cm on the other. You get power out on HF?
                  > >
                  > > Jason - N6WBL
                  > >
                  > > On 07/02/2011 12:27 PM, Kurt wrote:
                  > > > Hi all- seems the 897d will not transmit on 6m. Red transmit light
                  > > > does come on, but no power indication on meter or mod as with other
                  > > > bands. Tried using dummy load and tuning via LDG - will not tune - as
                  > > > in no signal.
                  > > > 2m/440 works just fine.
                  > > >
                  > > > Any ideas? Unit purch new abt 3 months ago.
                  > > > Thanks.
                  > > > Kurt

                • D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 3, 2011
                    Come on, guys. Stop it. He has a real call, and he just didn't know any
                    better. I've been stupid before and ignorant before. I bet all of us have
                    one time or another.

                    But try the six meter antenna on the HF/50 MHz port - it will work better.

                    73
                    DR

                    David J. Ring, Jr., N1EA <http://www.qsl.net/n1ea/>
                    SOWP <http://www.sowp.org/>, VWOA <http://www.vwoa.org/>,
                    OOTC<http://www.ootc.us/>,
                    FISTS <http://www.fists.co.uk/>, CW-Ops <http://www.cwops.org/>,
                    CFO<http://groups.google.com/group/Chicken-Fat-Operators-Club?hl=en>,
                    A1-OP <http://www.arrl.org/a-1-op>, ex-FOC 1271 ARRL-LM<http://www.arrl.org/>
                    Chat Skype: djringjr MSN: djringjr@... AIM: N1EA icq: 27380609
                    Radio-Officers Google
                    Group<http://groups.google.com/group/radio-officers?hl=en>-- Marine
                    Morse Historic Recordings Page <http://www.qsl.net/n1ea/>

                  • Joseph Lankford II
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 3, 2011

                      Hi Jay,

                      Don't know about the Elmer but his call comes up in QRZ.Com. Same name also.

                      Check it again?

                      73, JJ DU1/KS4DK

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 4, 2011
                        Hello Kurt,

                        Before we confuse some of the list readers, can you confirm that you have
                        fixed the problem and that you connected the 6 meter antenna to the HF/6
                        meter port (antenna jack) and not the VHF/UHF port?

                        Some are thinking (not me, well maybe!) that you are connecting the 6 meter
                        antenna to the VHF/UHF port and have NO HF antenna to the HF/50 MHz port.
                        You should not hear anything in this configuration on 6 meters, nor would
                        you be able to transmit - reason? Antenna not connected to antenna port #1.

                        Help me out here!

                        73

                        On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Kurt <kurt@...> wrote:

                        > Found the problem - unit was transmitting, but at minimum power - result
                        > was no receive on a friends receiver [which started the whole thing].
                        > Thanks for the input.
                        >
                        > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Jason Turning <jturning@...> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > You using the right antenna jack? You mentioning 2m/440 makes me wonder.
                        > HF/6m
                        > > is on one connector and 2m/70cm on the other. You get power out on HF?
                        > >
                        > > Jason - N6WBL
                        > >
                        > > On 07/02/2011 12:27 PM, Kurt wrote:
                        > > > Hi all- seems the 897d will not transmit on 6m. Red transmit light does
                        > come on, but no power indication on meter or mod as with other bands. Tried
                        > using dummy load and tuning via LDG - will not tune - as in no signal.
                        > > > 2m/440 works just fine.
                        > > >
                        > > > Any ideas? Unit purch new abt 3 months ago.
                        > > > Thanks.
                        > > > Kurt

                      • Kurt
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 5, 2011
                          Just to confirm, as asked by David, the problem was caused by a low tx setting on the 897. The antenna has been connected to the correct input, as I have a VHF/UHF antenna connected to the ajacent input. So all antennas are correctly connected. The power level issue is fixed and I appreciate all of the groups input.
                          Kurt