Re: [FT897] Re: Problem Freebanding my FT-897D

  • dave Ortiz
    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 2 7:30 PM
      you must have a military lic to transmit on those freqs, if you transmit with out it its prison time for you. a FCC lic is not good enough to use on MARS freq.

      Message 2 of 30 , Apr 3 5:47 AM

        > ________________________________

        Dale,

        Like many on this list I am not an American. I am British. So please explain what MARS/Cap is and how it applies to me -- and all the other members of the list that are not American. Then explain why I need to become a member?

        Thanks

        --
        Regards
        Andy, G8TQH

      • Fred VE3FAL
        Message 3 of 30 , Apr 3 5:52 AM
          Andy:

          I think he was basically asking why one would want to mod the rig if not
          using it for MARS/CAP.....
          What are the reasons for modding it?
          That is what I got out of the email. Some folks mod it for the CB and
          freeband area here in America. Others of us use it for MARS/CAP/CFARS
          etc....

          I hope this helps.

          Fred
          CIW649/VE3FAL
          CFARS Member
          SATERN Member,SATERN Amateur Radio Liaison Officer
          DEC Amethyst District ARES
          RU QRP Club # 285

          Message 4 of 30 , Apr 3 7:05 AM
            American military have what they call the military auxiliary  radio system  (MARS), they are the emergency backup for communications for the US military and are strictly under the control of the military, they are used during national emergencies and disasters. they report to a military communications command that controls them, they are also loaned out to other federal agencies when needed. they assist States when they are stretched in communications during an emergency. to be fumbling about in those freqs with out proper military authorization could lead you into some big trouble with the military and with the federal law agencies since it is a federal crime to disrupt or interfere with military communications. you must go through a training course and be tested and get your military lic from one of the military branches of the military such as Navy, Airforce ,Army, Marines, and also Dept of Homeland  Security. this is a six month course which you
            will be tested and also checked out by the state MARS commander. the freq's you want to so called do "free banding will or could lead into jail time."

            Message 5 of 30 , Apr 3 7:14 AM
              The person refer ed to MARS/CAP. mod.
              Most have 60 M. Seem to be newer hams with new radios.
              dale

              Message 6 of 30 , Apr 3 7:22 AM
                On 3 April 2011 13:47, Andy McMullin <Andy.McMullin@...> wrote:

                > > ________________________________

                Andy,

                I think Dale is a "Isolationist" and is not aware that there is a world
                outside the lower 48.

                Geoff G8GNZ

              • Dean Nash
                Message 7 of 30 , Apr 3 8:47 AM
                  Andy,

                      MARS stands for Military Auxilliary Radio Service.  Go to
                  http://www.netcom.army.mil/mars/%c2%a0for info on the Army service

                  CAP stands for Civil Air Patrol which is the US Air Force Auxilliary.  Go to
                  http://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/%c2%a0for info.

                  These services are assigned frequencies outside normal
                  amateur allocations.  Members of these services use modified amateur
                  equipment to communicate on the assigned frequencies.

                  There is no "need" for you to become a member of either service.  There is no
                  requirement (in the US) for you to be a member of either service to posess or
                  use modified equipment you just can't legally transmit on MARS/CAP frequencies
                  unless you have the requisite licenses.  Don't know what your regulatory
                  guidance is in the UK.

                  Hope this helps.

                  73 de N4SHD

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 30 , Apr 3 9:00 AM
                    I'm still at a loss to understand your thought process.

                    There are other reasons for modification of a radio for MARS/CAP as I previously
                    stated.  There is NO requirement to be a members of MARS or CAP to posess and
                    use a modified radio.  We are just prohibited from transmitting on those
                    frequencies we are not licensed for unless a bonafide emergency situation
                    exists.

                    That alone is reason enough (for me) to modify a radio.  MARS operators are
                    trained in emergency communications and most are well qualified to assist should
                    you need someone.  You may or may not find the same level of expertise on your
                    local 2m repeater or amateur HF bands.

                    In my opinion, the 897 is among the best units for both amateur and MARS ops.
                     I have several modded units but find the 897 to be the most suitable
                    for dual service operations.

                    Since you seem to know a little about the topic, may I ask, are you a licensed
                    MARS or CAP operator?

                    73 de N4SHD

                    ________________________________
                    Most have 60 M. Seem to be newer hams with new radios.
                    dale

                    Actually, anyone with a soldering iron (and good eyes) can safely do this mod.
                    Hams used to do ALL this stuff, just a few years ago. Of course, most of them
                    now have to use magnifying glasses to see what they're working on, HI!

                    The freebanding mod is simple enough, but if you want to retain 60 meter usage,
                    you will need to dial the frequency in, manually. Just be sure to dial in the
                    "right" frequency as it is easy to confuse VFO frequency and "center" frequency.

                    As for a license, I'm not sure why anyone would even want to transmit on a MARS
                    or CAP channel without one.

                    73, Randy N7CKJ

                    --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com , dave Ortiz <kj4acs@...> wrote:

                    > what is your call sign with MARS? are you lic to operate on the MARS freq? if
                    >not you could be in some big heap trouble bubba ! if you are lic, only a
                    >electronic tech should be doing the mod.

                  • kd7ggq
                    Message 9 of 30 , Apr 3 10:36 AM
                      As a fully-qualified (senior rating) CAP comm officer, I'd like to offer clarification. As the comm officer, I WAS the source of that help to the non-electronically inclined members of my unit. What training was I given? (beyond the regular radio operations, that is) "Here's the website to buy radios that are work on CAP frequencies." Of course, they were expensive commercial radios and we are a group of volunteers, so the unit buys an HF base station and some VHF/UHF HTs, then for our own mobiles or portables we are on our own finding out how to mod consumer radios like this.

                      I assume MARS is the same way, if not having less resources at their disposal.

                      We all have to learn from somewhere and this being THE group for technical discussion of the 897 on the Internet, it's the best place to start discussions on it.

                      Roland
                      KD7GGQ

                      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, DALE <wa7ixk@...> wrote:

                      > If one is a member of Mars/Cap there is help available. Become a member first.
                      > No reason to wide band until a member and have some training and get the info on frequencies authorized.
                      > There is reason I refer to it as a CB mod.
                      > dale
                    • DALE
                      Message 10 of 30 , Apr 3 1:14 PM
                        Freeband was originally a CB term until so many CB'rs got licenses.
                        dale

                        > If one is a member of Mars/Cap there is help available. Become a member
                        first.
                        > No reason to wide band until a member and have some training and get the
                        info on
                        > frequencies authorized.
                        >
                        > There is reason I refer to it as a CB mod.
                        > dale

                        Dale,

                        Like many on this list I am not an American. I am British. So please explain
                        what MARS/Cap is and how it applies to me -- and all the other members of
                        the list that are not American. Then explain why I need to become a member?

                        Thanks

                        --
                        Regards
                        Andy, G8TQH
                        http://www.rickham.net/

                      • Gordon McCleery
                        Message 11 of 30 , Apr 3 3:30 PM
                          Dale, you are correct, I would rather drive a Gasoline truck thru hades than
                          face the

                          wrath of the F.C.C. operating illegally on USG/MILITARY frequencies.....Mac

                          H.F. Control operator
                          WGY-904, WGY-914
                          FRC, Thomasville, Ga.

                          ________________________________
                          Freeband was originally a CB term until so many CB'rs got licenses.
                          dale

                          > If one is a member of Mars/Cap there is help available. Become a member
                          first.
                          > No reason to wide band until a member and have some training and get the
                          info on
                          > frequencies authorized.
                          >
                          > There is reason I refer to it as a CB mod.
                          > dale

                          Dale,

                          Like many on this list I am not an American. I am British. So please explain
                          what MARS/Cap is and how it applies to me -- and all the other members of
                          the list that are not American. Then explain why I need to become a member?

                          Thanks

                          --
                          Regards
                          Andy, G8TQH
                          http://www.rickham.net/

                        • Don Taylor
                          Message 12 of 30 , Apr 4 8:07 AM
                            Andy, some time back our friends (read Big Brother) at the Common Market
                            headquarters decided that they didn’t want radios imported into the Common
                            Market that could be modified to operate on the 27MHz. CB band. When YAESU
                            received this info they reprogrammed the CPU so that it could not be opened
                            on the HF Bands. It is still possible to open the VHF and UHF parts via
                            jumper changes.

                            Politian’s (read Big Brother) are all firmly convinced that if you forbid
                            something it will go away. The CB guys proudly display the stinky finger
                            and buy a U.S. version of the radio via the internet.

                            Just a bit of general information radios with the following lot numbers will
                            operate to 7.2MHz. with out modification.

                            FT-817 Lot 17 and above

                            FT-857 Lot 68 and above

                            FT-897 Lot 78 and above.

                            Best regards,

                            Don Taylor

                            DJØKM / K9SFN

                            GARANT-FUNK

                            GERMANY

                          • Bret McDanel
                            Message 13 of 30 , Apr 8 2:46 AM
                              This subject often comes up, however there is the "emergency
                              communication" rule in the US (note this list and hams in general are
                              not always US based so different rules may apply).

                              The FCC only governs the transmissions not the use of a modded radio
                              (with the exception of CB radios which may not be used at all if
                              modified unless the emergency exception below is met). Modding a radio
                              but staying in the licensed bands is perfectly legal.

                              Basically the radio is not type approved for anything but ham (with
                              mars/cap exceptions for those suitably permitted). Just because it can
                              do business band, gprs/frs, CB, etc does not mean it is legal even if
                              you otherwise have a license for that frequency.

                              With that said I always mod my radios within the first few days of
                              receiving it (once I know that I am going to be happy with it). I do
                              this specifically for the emergency communications provision in the
                              radio.

                              You are allowed to transmit on any frequency, any mode, any power
                              provided that:
                              1. there is an *immediate* threat to life or property; *and*
                              2. normal communications are unavailable (fairly recent addition); *and*
                              3. you believe that your transmission is your best hope for assistance

                              As long as you follow those rules you will not be violating the FCC
                              rules on radio transmissions. If you wait until there is an emergency
                              to mod the radio you may not be able to do it (time, tools required,
                              etc). It is for this reason that I always mod my radios when I know I
                              am safe so that they are available in case I am not. I also live in a
                              rural area and mobile phones are not always available for use, in some
                              areas there is not a residence for many miles (half the county is a
                              national forest, the rest is rural with a total population of 44,000).
                              Should I encounter a wild fire or other situation that falls into the
                              rules above I would like to be able to call it in.

                              Another set of scenarios that may come to mind is anything CERT, RACES,
                              ARES trains for. Katrina like events, earthquake/tsunami (see Japan),
                              terrorist attacks, and other things often occur with little warning.
                              While people expected a storm in Katrina, I do not think they expected
                              the destruction that actually occurred.

                              I would rather be prepared and never use my "preparations" than not be
                              prepared and be hosed as a result.
                              --
                              Trixter aka Bret McDanel
                              website: http://www.0xdecafbad.com
                              Message 14 of 30 , Apr 8 9:10 AM
                                Hi All,

                                I'm NOT a member of the "Hidden Menu Police" or "Mod Police," but before you perform your mod for anything other than Ham or Mars operations, check out the ARRL "Amateur Radio Emergency Communications Course, Level I."

                                Per my copy of the 3rd Edition of the manual, page 111, "Alternative Communications Methods," "Legal Considerations," the author talks about hams using their local police frequency to report a car crash. According to the author, "Hams" (more than one - Hal) have been convicted of interfering with a police agency. The FCC won't bust you, but the "owner" of the frequency is not bound by the FCC's rules. The author goes on to state that one judge convicted a Ham of "premeditated interference" because the Ham had modified his rig in advance.

                                Hopefully, the information in the EMCOM course is accurate and not made up and placed there by a member of the "Mod Police."

                                Enjoy

                                73

                                de Hal / KM6JM

                                --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Bret McDanel <trixter@...> wrote:

                                > This subject often comes up, however there is the "emergency
                                > communication" rule in the US (note this list and hams in general are
                                > not always US based so different rules may apply).
                                >
                                > The FCC only governs the transmissions not the use of a modded radio
                                > (with the exception of CB radios which may not be used at all if
                                > modified unless the emergency exception below is met). Modding a radio
                                > but staying in the licensed bands is perfectly legal.
                                >
                                > Basically the radio is not type approved for anything but ham (with
                                > mars/cap exceptions for those suitably permitted). Just because it can
                                > do business band, gprs/frs, CB, etc does not mean it is legal even if
                                > you otherwise have a license for that frequency.
                                >
                                > With that said I always mod my radios within the first few days of
                                > receiving it (once I know that I am going to be happy with it). I do
                                > this specifically for the emergency communications provision in the
                                > radio.
                                >
                                > You are allowed to transmit on any frequency, any mode, any power
                                > provided that:
                                > 1. there is an *immediate* threat to life or property; *and*
                                > 2. normal communications are unavailable (fairly recent addition); *and*
                                > 3. you believe that your transmission is your best hope for assistance
                                >
                                > As long as you follow those rules you will not be violating the FCC
                                > rules on radio transmissions. If you wait until there is an emergency
                                > to mod the radio you may not be able to do it (time, tools required,
                                > etc). It is for this reason that I always mod my radios when I know I
                                > am safe so that they are available in case I am not. I also live in a
                                > rural area and mobile phones are not always available for use, in some
                                > areas there is not a residence for many miles (half the county is a
                                > national forest, the rest is rural with a total population of 44,000).
                                > Should I encounter a wild fire or other situation that falls into the
                                > rules above I would like to be able to call it in.
                                >
                                > Another set of scenarios that may come to mind is anything CERT, RACES,
                                > ARES trains for. Katrina like events, earthquake/tsunami (see Japan),
                                > terrorist attacks, and other things often occur with little warning.
                                > While people expected a storm in Katrina, I do not think they expected
                                > the destruction that actually occurred.
                                >
                                > I would rather be prepared and never use my "preparations" than not be
                                > prepared and be hosed as a result.
                                > --
                                > Trixter aka Bret McDanel
                                > website: http://www.0xdecafbad.com
                                > pgp key: http://bit.ly/9XYK4b

                              • Andy McMullin
                                Message 15 of 30 , Apr 8 9:16 AM
                                  And, of course, remember that this does not apply outside the USA.

                                  --
                                  sent whilst mobile;
                                  Andy, G8TQH

                                  On 8 Apr 2011, at 17:10, km6jm <km6jm@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                  >> etc). It is for this reason that I always mod my radios when I know I
                                  >> am safe so that they are available in case I am not. I also live in a
                                  >> rural area and mobile phones are not always available for use, in some
                                  >> areas there is not a residence for many miles (half the county is a
                                  >> national forest, the rest is rural with a total population of 44,000).
                                  >> Should I encounter a wild fire or other situation that falls into the
                                  >> rules above I would like to be able to call it in.
                                  >>
                                  >> Another set of scenarios that may come to mind is anything CERT, RACES,
                                  >> ARES trains for. Katrina like events, earthquake/tsunami (see Japan),
                                  >> terrorist attacks, and other things often occur with little warning.
                                  >> While people expected a storm in Katrina, I do not think they expected
                                  >> the destruction that actually occurred.
                                  >>
                                  >> I would rather be prepared and never use my "preparations" than not be

                                • Dean Gibson AE7Q
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Apr 8 10:58 AM
                                    On 2011-04-08 09:10, km6jm wrote:
                                    > Hi All,
                                    >
                                    > ... the "owner" of the frequency is not bound by the FCC's rules. The author goes on to state that one judge convicted a Ham of "premeditated interference" because the Ham had modified his rig in advance.
                                    >

                                    > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Bret McDanel <trixter@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    >> ... Should I encounter a wild fire or other situation that falls into the rules above I would like to be able to call it in.

                                    There is also the issue of *accidentally* transmitting out of band. I'd
                                    like to know how many amateurs here have accidentally transmitted out of
                                    the band they were authorized to use, whether out of the amateur bands
                                    or within the amateur bands but out of the legal segment for the
                                    emission mode or license grade. If that happens within the amateur
                                    bands you normally (unless it is egregious) have only other amateurs to
                                    answer to; when it happens outside of amateur bands, you may have
                                    others to answer to. Yes, home builders of amateur equipment have this
                                    issue, as well, but I'm thankful to have a radio that provide some
                                    protection from mistakes. Perhaps some of you are perfect in this
                                    regard ...

                                    I don't know of any commercially-available amateur radio that allows you
                                    to set transmission blocking by mode and ranges within bands, but I
                                    think it'd be a useful feature, especially if accompanied by useful
                                    software. Oh, wait, the software we have now is barely adequate for the
                                    basic stuff, and it's not even from the manufacturer; who am I fooling ...

                                    As for the common /"I will use my amateur radio to save the world"/
                                    fantasy, in my opinion it is just that. Sure justifies (to oneself or a
                                    spouse) the purchase of a lot of radios, however. I'm no longer
                                    involved in the local RACES organization because the paid leadership of
                                    the organization believes that violating RACES regulations in training
                                    (not to mention an emergency) is just fine. I contacted the FCC on
                                    this, and (surprise) the regulations were written with emergencies in
                                    mind. The FCC further advised me against participating in any group
                                    with such policies.

                                    -- Dean

                                  • Keith
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Apr 8 12:07 PM
                                      Hi, Could the people that wish to discuss this issue please take it to
                                      private email or another email list?

                                      [posted to <FT897.yahoogroups.com> & emailed]
                                      On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 10:58:27 -0700, Dean Gibson AE7Q <yahoo@...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > There is also the issue of *accidentally* transmitting out of band. I'd
                                      > like to know how many amateurs here have accidentally transmitted out of
                                      > the band they were authorized to use, whether out of the amateur bands
                                      > or within the amateur bands but out of the legal segment for the
                                      > emission mode or license grade.

                                      --

                                      Best Regards, Keith
                                      http://home.comcast.net/~kilowattradio/
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Apr 8 3:33 PM
                                        # 1 If You Free Band Your Radio Your Warranty Will Probably Be Voided # 2 I wouldn't Try To Get A Good Radio Like The 897 To Transmit On 11 mtrs. If You Get Caught There Might Be Hell To Pay I Don't Know About You But I worked Way To Hard To Get My Ticket To Do Something That Dumb. And I Heard The Fines Are Not Cheap And A 897 isn't Cheap Either If You Mess Up On The Free Band Mod You Could Mess Something Up And If Yaesu See's You Tried A Free Band Mod I Doubt If They Will Honor The Warranty I Heard Yaesu's Rates To Fix It Isn't Cheap.....

                                        Joe KI4PEM

                                        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, dave Ortiz <kj4acs@...> wrote:

                                        > American military have what they call the military auxiliary  radio system  (MARS), they are the emergency backup for communications for the US military and are strictly under the control of the military, they are used during national emergencies and disasters. they report to a military communications command that controls them, they are also loaned out to other federal agencies when needed. they assist States when they are stretched in communications during an emergency. to be fumbling about in those freqs with out proper military authorization could lead you into some big trouble with the military and with the federal law agencies since it is a federal crime to disrupt or interfere with military communications. you must go through a training course and be tested and get your military lic from one of the military branches of the military such as Navy, Airforce ,Army, Marines, and also Dept of Homeland  Security. this is a six month course which you
                                        > will be tested and also checked out by the state MARS commander. the freq's you want to so called do "free banding will or could lead into jail time."

                                      • Bret McDanel
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Apr 8 5:35 PM
                                          On Fri, 2011-04-08 at 16:10 +0000, km6jm wrote:
                                          > about hams using their local police frequency to report a car crash.
                                          > According to the author, "Hams" (more than one - Hal) have been
                                          > convicted of interfering with a police agency. The FCC won't bust you,
                                          > but the "owner" of the frequency is not bound by the FCC's rules.

                                          In my opinion this generally violates the rules that I outlined (which
                                          are the FCCs), namely "normal communications are unavailable". If you
                                          can use a mobile phone, landline, etc you must do so. While the FCC may
                                          not enforce this rule (they do not enforce a lot of rules) it still
                                          violates it.

                                          In *my* opinion if you can get someone on a ham frequency first (local
                                          repeater especially) you should do that and have them phone it in. I am
                                          unsure if this is considered part of normal communication methods or
                                          not, but I consider it such.

                                          In those cases mentioned I am willing to bet that the people were
                                          "trolling for accidents" just to trigger the "emergency communication"
                                          provision (which only recently added the normal communication methods
                                          being down). I recall reading about a group who did exactly that. They
                                          referred to themselves as Otaku (japanese word for geek).

                                          At any rate, I think if you make every effort to use everything else
                                          first then there will be fewer complaints and generally none if it is a
                                          real emergency and nothing else was available. Of course there is the
                                          chance that you have a vindictive police officer and DA to go along with
                                          it to prosecute and a judge & jury who also do not like what happened.

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Apr 8 5:51 PM
                                            To many hams are hung up on this supposedly emergency stuff that does not happen.
                                            Ham radio is a hobby.
                                            Every one should obey the intent of the rules.
                                            Communications are different now than when the Titanic went down.
                                            Let the world know about it but did not save any lives.
                                            Very few if any documented evidence that a ham transmitting on a unauthorized frequency saved any thing.
                                            Dale

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Apr 8 10:16 PM
                                              On Fri, 2011-04-08 at 20:51 -0400, DALE wrote:

                                              > To many hams are hung up on this supposedly emergency stuff that does
                                              > not happen.
                                              > Ham radio is a hobby.
                                              > Every one should obey the intent of the rules.
                                              > Communications are different now than when the Titanic went down.
                                              > Let the world know about it but did not save any lives.
                                              > Very few if any documented evidence that a ham transmitting on a
                                              > unauthorized frequency saved any thing.
                                              > Dale

                                              Yes, ham radio is a hobby, however the intent of that hobby is not to
                                              talk about useless stuff all the time. Specifically I point you to FCC
                                              rule 97.1(a)
                                              "Recognition and enhancement of the value of the amateur service to the
                                              public as a voluntary noncommercial communication service, particularly
                                              with respect to providing emergency communications."

                                              The emergency communications part makes it a bit more serious. You
                                              would not call a volunteer fire department or a volunteer paramedic or a
                                              volunteer search and rescue department a hobby would you?

                                              The intent of the rule to transmit only where authorized is to prevent
                                              harmful interference. By not transmitting you are following the intent.
                                              If the intent in any way wanted to ban modifications of radios then they
                                              would make a rule that way (abusing Filburn the same way they have for
                                              everything else). The mere fact that they have refused to ban modified
                                              radios and they have a very narrow exception for emergency
                                              communications indicates that the intent is to allow that under the
                                              rules they have set.

                                              There are forest fires here every year. In many cases there is no
                                              mobile phone communication here. Additionally people (possibly myself)
                                              get stuck in the mountains each year.

                                              While I do my part, I have volunteered for the fire department,
                                              paramedic squad and search and rescue (all 3 are volunteer), I carry my
                                              EMS bag when I go camping, that does not mean that I am unaware of
                                              "emergency stuff that does not happen". In fact I think I am more aware
                                              of the emergency stuff that does occur in this area.

                                              I also know that due to the terrain there are many areas that you cannot
                                              get communications reliably. There are many places that you just cant
                                              hit a ham repeater in the mountains, despite some really impressive
                                              repeater systems in place.

                                              If I am stuck in such an emergency locally I want every tool at my
                                              disposal to try to get aide. That does not mean that outside-ham band
                                              transmissions will be my first choice, but I do have that as an option
                                              if nothing else is available. It is similar to having bottled water and
                                              blankets and some food kept in your car in case you get stuck (a strong
                                              state and federal government urging at least in this area).

                                              When the world trade center buildings fell there was no mobile phone or
                                              landline service in that area for some time after. This is because
                                              physical infrastructure was damaged and the remaining infrastructure was
                                              overwhelmed. As I do not have one of the special phones with priority I
                                              would not be able to make a call, but if I were trapped somewhere I
                                              would want people to be able to know that I am there and locate me.
                                              Through any means necessary.

                                              If I were in New Orleans when Katrina happened and I was in a situation
                                              where I needed assistance I would want to be able to call for help.
                                              Phone lines were also knocked out then too because of the storm.

                                              If I were in Japan, New Zealand, Indonesia or a couple other places that
                                              suffered major earthquakes in the last few months I would want to be
                                              able to communicate to get help if required.

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Apr 9 12:53 AM
                                                First I want to say that there is not a real freeband on Yaesu radios
                                                anymore. About 1994 they stopped doing that because of FCC threats to
                                                pull approval for the devices (the Ft-50 was the radio in question at
                                                the time). There is an opening of the Tx portion, what many call
                                                freebanding is actually the MARS/CAP mod.

                                                If people want to ask for help they would probably get a more positive
                                                response if they called it the MARS/CAP mod instead as it tends to
                                                ruffle fewer feathers.

                                                The rest I have commented inline.

                                                On Fri, 2011-04-08 at 22:33 +0000, J.R. Mason wrote:

                                                > # 1 If You Free Band Your Radio Your Warranty Will Probably Be Voided
                                                > # 2 I wouldn't Try To Get A Good Radio Like The 897 To Transmit On 11
                                                > mtrs. If You Get Caught There Might Be Hell To Pay I Don't Know About
                                                > You But I worked Way To Hard To Get My Ticket To Do Something That
                                                > Dumb. And I Heard The Fines Are Not Cheap And A 897 isn't Cheap Either
                                                > If You Mess Up On The Free Band Mod You Could Mess Something Up And If
                                                > Yaesu See's You Tried A Free Band Mod I Doubt If They Will Honor The
                                                > Warranty I Heard Yaesu's Rates To Fix It Isn't Cheap.....

                                                well I dont know about the warranty. I do know that the mod is the same
                                                as mars/cap and there has to be some way to allow for them to mod the
                                                radio to do those things. I am also unsure how long the warranty is for
                                                (I have never had to use it so I have not checked). My radio is old
                                                enough that it probably has none left on it, and the mod is just
                                                removing some solder, it is not even SMC work. Older radios could be
                                                software modded - what this thread was originally talking about - but
                                                that no longer works and has not worked on any radio manufactured in the
                                                last few years. The software mod could be completely undone by a reset
                                                of the radio, as such no warranty issues should have arisen. The
                                                hardware mod does not require great soldering skill (most of the
                                                handhelds offer a smaller space to work and thus are slightly more
                                                difficult, but often constructed in a way to make it really easy
                                                regardless of handheld vs mobile/desk).

                                                As for getting caught, on 11m (CB in the US but not everywhere), it is
                                                illegal to use *any* modified radio *or* any non-type approved radio on
                                                CB in the US (the 897 is not type approved and would have to be modded
                                                to tx there). There is also the power issue, CB in the US is limited to
                                                4w AM or 12w SSB. The lowest that the 897 does is 5w so you would
                                                exceed the legal limit on AM (what most people seem to use given the
                                                prolific sales of 40 channel radios - CB is 40 channels, 120 if you
                                                include those same 40 in both USB and LSB - 40 channel means AM only).
                                                There are other rules for CB such as no contact or attempt to contact
                                                anyone 250 miles or more away (or was it 250 km?) but they are outside
                                                the scope of modding the radio.

                                                In short any transmission on CB from a 897 that is not "emergency
                                                communication" as defined by the FCC is a violation. If detected and
                                                you are caught the penalty can include fines, seizure of equipment, and
                                                possibly additional sanctions (remember the FCC makes the rules,
                                                enforces the rules and has its own court to convict you in a classic
                                                example of separation of powers, oh wait ... Only the supreme court has
                                                the power to overturn a ruling which they will most likely defer to the
                                                FCC technical expertise)

                                                > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, dave Ortiz <kj4acs@...> wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > American military have what they call the military auxiliary radio
                                                > system (MARS), they are the emergency backup for communications for
                                                > the US military and are strictly under the control of the military,

                                                There are also events done to bridge soldiers with families, under
                                                strict rules so it is not a free for all on the bands. This of course
                                                ensures that the gear works and the operators know how to use the
                                                gear.

                                                I was in CAP (Civil Air Patrol or Air Force Auxiliary) and we did nets
                                                with that as well as other radio things. CAP primarily does search and
                                                rescue (or did 20+ years ago when I was in) and its radio needs are
                                                slightly different than MARS. Back then most of what we did locally was
                                                around 137MHz, which is why the MARS/CAP mod opens up 2m as well.

                                                > > will be tested and also checked out by the state MARS commander. the
                                                > freq's you want to so called do "free banding will or could lead into
                                                > jail time."

                                                There are additional frequencies that get opened up. For example marine
                                                HF and VHF are opened up as part of the MARS/CAP mod. There are
                                                regulations on when and where you can use those, in general you have to
                                                be on a boat. I know plenty of people that do similar mods to avoid
                                                buying two radios for their boat.

                                                There are also country based issues, I have a US version of the 897, but
                                                I have not always lived in the US. I can operate under CEPT in Europe
                                                but there are some unlicensed bands (like 11m) that would be legal for
                                                me to operate on with my radio when in certain countries. Not every
                                                country allows this usage, so its best to check first if you plan to do
                                                this while traveling. In one country I have friends in, there are a lot
                                                of data links being built on 11m as a result of the hands off approach
                                                to that band that the government there has taken.