Re: Nylon case for FT-897?

  • twin_otter_99
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 31, 2011
      Thanks to those that have made *constructive* comments and ideas, so far! :-)

      I was thinking of adding MOLLE webbing around the case to allow folks to add whatever type modular pouches they need, depending on their setup. For instance, maybe you need a long, slender pouch for a whip antenna (ATX, etc.)...and maybe a regular pouch for your counterpoise wire, etc. Or maybe you have a buddistick or buddipole in a dedicated case and just need a pouch for your extension cord...that sort of thing.

      I am also trying to think how to allow use of either the integral power supply or the standard bottom cover...might have to have two separate cases, depending on which you have. I can make it work with a shock-cord fitted part, but it wouldn't look as clean.

      For carrying options, there will be a cut-out for the built-in carry handle on the 897. I am also considering adding provision to add a set of Kifaru suspenders to the case to carry as a backpack. The benefit of this is that I wouldn't have to go and design backpack straps too...some folks may already even have the straps.

      Definitely need to consider an additional add-on cover for the bolt-on tuners (Yaesu and LDG).

      Thanks again for the ideas...as far as when pictures will be ready, I will work on the prototype as I have time. I work 40-60 hours a week like I'm sure most of y'all do, but will try to work on it on the weekends and evenings. Believe me, I want a case for my 897 myself, so I am motivated to get to work on it. :-)

      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "F1RVC_Yahoo" <f1rvc@...> wrote:

      > Ok, one idea :
      > 2 kinds of cover (upper part of the case) , one simple , and the other could accept inside the yaesu FC40 wire autotuner....
      > 73's
    • Danny Loyd
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2011
        twin_otter_99,

        One of the rules of the mail group is you are suppose to sign with your first
        name and call sign. If you did that, people would
        be so leary of you selling something.

        From a Vietnam Era Navy Vet.

        Danny
        KE5WDI

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 1, 2011
          That not so leary.

          Danny
          KE5WDI

          ________________________________
          One of the rules of the mail group is you are suppose to sign with your first
          name and call sign. If you did that, people would
          be so leary of you selling something.

          From a Vietnam Era Navy Vet.

          Danny
          KE5WDI

          ________________________________
          Guess I won't need to make one for you then, huh? :-) That ought to save me a
          few hours right there.

          Look, I have made plenty of cool nylon items before...I was looking for a case
          like the tacops one for my 897 and found a glaring lack of cases made
          specifically for it. I'm filling a gap for folks that would like a nice case to
          protect their 897.

          I use this email address in order to be able to filter out spam and junk mail.
          If you don't like it, well...tough. I'm mature enough and been on the Internet
          long enough to not care about what kind of email address someone uses.

          I will discuss the case with anyone earnestly interested in buying one and I
          will also listen to people that would like input on the design.

          I am an OIF veteran and don't particularly care to post all sorts of identifying

          information about myself on a public forum, thanks.

          So, to summarize...if anyone (besides you) would like to provide ideas that
          should be implemented in your ideal FT-897 case, please send me a message. If
          you have a problem with me, as "keith" seems to, then don't. Pretty simple,
          really. :-)

          --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Keith <kilowattradio@...> wrote:

          > Something strange about using an anonymous email account with no
          > identification in the original email message talking about soliciting $150+
          > for a non-existent HF radio backpack.
          >
          > YMMV. IMHO.

        • fred
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 2, 2011
            --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Danny Loyd <ke5wdi@...> wrote:

            > twin_otter_99,
            >
            > One of the rules of the mail group is you are suppose to sign with your first
            > name and call sign. If you did that, people would
            > be so leary of you selling something.
            >
            > From a Vietnam Era Navy Vet.
            >
            > Danny
            > KE5WDI
            >

            > ________________________________

            Actually, they would *not* be so leary.
            Fred
            k6kub
          • kd7ggq
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 3, 2011
              As active duty is my regular day-job, I try to keep ham radio as a hobby, so I have been trying to avoid the military influenced aspects like camo packs. Also, to protect my investment I'd rather have a plain color like black than bright "steal me" orange. :)

              Anyway, that aside, what brought me to respond was actually that I wanted to get into discussion of what kinds of antennas are good for man-portable operation. Currently, I just have a 20m half-wave dipole that I wind up and throw in a backpack with my radio and a headset. (which is fine until something gets broken from all that rattling around in there) I go into a field, find a tree and sling my dipole up onto a branch and I'm sure y'all know the rest. I'd like to figure out a setup with a whip secured to the carrying pack, but all I can find for this are antennas specially made to work with the portable radios they are sold with.

              Any ideas?

              73,
              Roland
              KD7GGQ