Re: [FT897] Noisy FP-30(B) Internal Supply

  • Carl Wulfestieg
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 6, 2011
      Randy-
      True, I don't use most of the bands- Just 40M and 20M primarily with CW- So, to be thorough, I just tuned around and did test transmissions (SSB and/or CW) on all (160, 80, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12,10M) the bands (except 2M and 70 CM) There was not a peep of any noise as I tuned around- I still maintain that the "internal power supply" noise problem was fixed when the FP-30B came out- But keep reading-
      Let me tell you about my antenna- It is mounted, in the attic, 20' above my operating position, and 25' away horizontally- It is a 80M Carolina Windom- A 4:1 Balun connects the coax to the antenna- However, the first 10' of the coax acts as a part of the antenna- At that point, the coax is looped 3 times through 8 toroids- NO RF, NOTHING gets past that point- Nothing comes down the coax to the operating position-
      The last time we talked, I don't recall that you mentioned 6M- I forget things, maybe you mentioned it- Let me talk about 6M noise- Although I have never been bothered with it, MANY others have, maybe hundreds- It was very high noise, filled up the whole band- And it always manifested itself on 6M, no other bands- However, the 6M noise was due to some problem within the FT-897 itself- NOT the FP-30B power supply- I didn't pay much attention to it because I wasn't bothered by it- I do recall that most people had to send their FT-897 to Yaesu for repairs- It was some kind of a design problem- I haven't read of others having this problem for maybe 2 or 3 years- One suggestion would be to contact Yaesu about this problem- Also, I'm not sure how you do it, but maybe you could search the FT-897 Yahoo Group Archives for 6M Noise problems and what the fix was-
      OK- That's the best I can do - I don't know what to say about your noise dropping when a battery was used - Good Luck-
      73 Carl WZ4CW

    • rschaffrath
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 6, 2011
        I haven't noticed any issues with my FP-30B. Never heard of the FP-30C.

        Robert, N2JTX

        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Radio_Randy" <rjones@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > I would like help clarifying something that could have a direct affect on many current or future 897D owners. That is of the noise problems with the FP-30 series internal switching supply. Since the original FP-30 was widely known to suffer from RFI issues, I am mainly interested in the FP-30B and FP-30C model supplies.
        >
        > Even after my FP-30B unit was returned from the factory (to fix my claimed RFI issues) AND they included a ferrite bead for my mike cord (this was an omen, I'm sure), I had noise problems with this supply. I'm talking about a solid S8 to S9 noise level. This was discovered during a Field Day setup that same year.
        >
        > I was the 6 meter station at our Field Day operation. I was in a tent and had a 3 element 6 meter yagi about 20 feet up on a mast, 5 feet away from me. The S8 to S9 receive noise level was heard on 50.125 MHz SSB, regardless of where the yagi was pointed. Also, unplugging the mike changed the level, but it was still substantial enough to preclude serious "weak signal" reception. Finally, when the internal supply was shut off and the radio was put on a battery and charger, the noise level dropped to S1.
        >
        > If any of you can or have tested your FP-30 (B or C) supplies on ALL the bands the 897D might be operated on, your experiences, positive or negative, would be helpful to others contemplating the purchase of one for their radio. After all, $200+ dollars is a chunk of money to drop on one of these if it doesn't work as desired.
        >
        > Remember, you need to have tested this unit on ALL bands for your input to be of value.
        >
        > 73, Randy N7CKJ

      • Pronto. (Military)
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 6, 2011
          I had a very noisy FP30 and got the repair notes from A yaesu technician. It involved soldering in 4 or 5 small caps to the Circuit card assembly.
          Everything worked fine thereafter and I've used it on all bands.
          One of the files here has the info. I didn't have to use the Ferrite ring assembly either
          Jim VE3DDY
          Jim VE3DDY

          --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Radio_Randy" <rjones@...> wrote:

          > Hi All,
          >
          > I would like help clarifying something that could have a direct affect on many current or future 897D owners. That is of the noise problems with the FP-30 series internal switching supply. Since the original FP-30 was widely known to suffer from RFI issues, I am mainly interested in the FP-30B and FP-30C model supplies.
          >
          > Even after my FP-30B unit was returned from the factory (to fix my claimed RFI issues) AND they included a ferrite bead for my mike cord (this was an omen, I'm sure), I had noise problems with this supply. I'm talking about a solid S8 to S9 noise level. This was discovered during a Field Day setup that same year.
          >
          > I was the 6 meter station at our Field Day operation. I was in a tent and had a 3 element 6 meter yagi about 20 feet up on a mast, 5 feet away from me. The S8 to S9 receive noise level was heard on 50.125 MHz SSB, regardless of where the yagi was pointed. Also, unplugging the mike changed the level, but it was still substantial enough to preclude serious "weak signal" reception. Finally, when the internal supply was shut off and the radio was put on a battery and charger, the noise level dropped to S1.
          >
          > If any of you can or have tested your FP-30 (B or C) supplies on ALL the bands the 897D might be operated on, your experiences, positive or negative, would be helpful to others contemplating the purchase of one for their radio. After all, $200+ dollars is a chunk of money to drop on one of these if it doesn't work as desired.
          >
          > Remember, you need to have tested this unit on ALL bands for your input to be of value.
          >
          > 73, Randy N7CKJ

        • Hank Lambert
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 7, 2011
            I regularly use 70 cm, 2m, 17m, 20m, & 40m, and have experienced no noise at
            all. Just for this email, I also tested 6m, 10m and 12m; again, no noise. I
            regularly use SSB, RTTY, and Packet on HF and FM on VHF/UHF. My power supply
            is the FP-30B, and I've had it running over two years.

            73,

            Hank Lambert

            KB4MTO/TA5ZC

            hank@...

            kb4mto@...

            www.hanklambert.com

            PGP Key: 0x96D33D71

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 10, 2011
              Thanks everyone,

              It just seems that I was one of the unlucky ones to get a turkey. Since most of my operation with the 897D is weak signal VHF/UHF, I have absolutely NO use for a noisy supply.

              I will attempt to refrain from bashing the FP-30B from now on (although, other switchers are still "fair game").

              73, Randy N7CKJ