Re: Garbled SSB - Need Ideas

  • n7mch
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 3, 2011
      Chuck,

      Since I have not been able to make contact with anyone, I have no
      confirmation that I have a problem. I say I do because of what I
      monitor in my shack and away from it using my all band/mode handheld
      receiver.

      I have tried all sorts of positions - mike to mouth - to see if that
      could be it but that did not seem to make a difference. I think the one
      persons recommedation to check the DC output of the PS for AC has nailed
      the problem as I see a lot of AC on the DC lines. The only way to prove
      that is to put the radio on a car battery and see what it sounds like.

      73 de Walt N7MCH

      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Charles Scott <cscott@...> wrote:

      > Walt:
      >
      > If you're using the factory mic and getting what people report as
      > distortion try both of these things. One is to talk across the front
      of
      > the mic rather than directly into it. For some reason the factory mic
      > that came with my 897 has a problem if I don't do that and it gets
      > garbled. The second DTMF mic I got for the radio does not have that
      > problem. The second thing is to clip an RF choke on the mic cable at
      the
      > radio. I've also seen situations where RF getting in there has caused
      > problem, particulary in portable situations where there's closer
      > proximity to the antenna.
      >
      > Chuck - N8DNX
      >

      > On 1/3/2011 2:21 PM, n7mch wrote:
      > > I am using the factory mike that came with the 897. I have tried
      reducing the mike gain as well as increasing it but that makes no
      difference except when the gain is very low and then it still garbled
      but very low volume as would be expected.

      > > Thanks
      > >
      > > 73 de Walt N7MCH

    • Danny Loyd
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 3, 2011
        Walt,

        Is the signal garbled in both USB and LSB?

        Danny
        KE5WDI

        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 3, 2011
          Danny,

          Its garbled in both modes. I think the problem may be isolated to a pwr supply with AC on the DC output. I will not know for sure until I can get it on a car battery. The weather here is reported to improve by tomorrow so I will give it a try and see what happens. I am just about convinced that the problem will go away once its on clean pwr.

          Thanks for your reply. All ideas and questions help.

          73 de Walt N7MCH