Re: firmware

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 1, 2003
      You are correct in the CPU - it is a Hitachi (but now sold off to
      Renasas in the UK). Indeed this chip is a flash programmable MPU. The
      most common method to in-place flash them is to set one of the mode
      lines to the appropriate value (and the FT-897 has test point there).

      The CPU then loads a mask-programmed boot-loader routine which talks
      via one of the serial interfaces to a host program. That serial
      interface appears to be connected to the CAT interface lines.

      The boot-loader sends some handshaking characters to the programming
      device (usually a PC), then upon receiving the appropriate handshake
      back, ERASES the flash, then loads a program from the host. The host
      program is responsible for loading and writing the new flash image
      using in-built commands in the CPU.

      The moral of the story is that while you can destroy the flash and
      load corrupt code, since the boot loader is microcoded in the MPU,
      you can always reflash it.

      Now, I am in exactly the same position as Darren. I have an FT-897
      which was brought back to VK for me by a friend who was in Japan. The
      Japanese bandplan for 2M stops at 146MHz - in VK we go to 148MHz and
      146 - 148 is where pretty well all of our repeaters and FM work is.
      70cm here is also expanded - 420 - 450 MHz. The solder-ball
      modifications do not work with the Japanese-market firmware at all.
      They do change some of the HF characteristics but VHF/UHF is
      untouched.

      I contacted our local "distributor" (DSE) who is going out of Ham
      Radio - even though they vehemently deny - it about getting new
      firmware loaded into the radio, even at cost (no warranty outside
      Japan).

      The answer: You need to purchase a new main board or MPU and have it
      replaced. Price forthcoming. That was several weeks ago and I have
      not heard back from them. So much for service.

      I find it very hard to believe that the MPU needs to be replaced.
      Yes, reprogramming the flash also means that a complete realignment
      of the radio is required as all the alignment settings would be lost
      when the flash is erased by the boot-loader.

      However hard copying these down FIRST would solve that problem.

      So the big question is: Why won't Yaesu supply the flash loader and
      the firmware ? Other manufacturers do and it saves them a lot of
      return-under-warranty trouble.

      I am currently exploring some of the CAT commands the '897 shares
      with the '817 - watch this space.

      Oh, and yes, I can confirm that it is not a mask-programmed version
      of the MPU. It can most certainly be flashed.

      The other problem here is the Yaesu has no service center is
      Australia. DSE say they will do it, but they know nothing about the
      897. It appeared for sale on their website for a few days, but with
      no-stock anywhere, and then was withdrawn. Looks like they are now
      only offering run-out stocks of the '817. I am really sure Yaesu are
      happy that their only VK dealer is only carrying one of their radios.

      So where do we in VK land get the MPU chip from in the first place?

      Exasperating. I love this radio, but the service & support in VK is
      absolutely disgusting.

      73 de Peter, VK2JCG.

      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, r tg <rtg222@y...> wrote:
      > The CPU is IC 1049 and is Hitachi p/n - HD64F2134FA20 as shown on
      the schematic.

      > This part has 128k of flash memory as indicated by the Hitachi data
      sheet. That is denoted by the first "F" in the part number. I have
      not looked at the cpu in the unit but, it is unlikely that Yaesu
      would have created a masked ROM version of this part as the volumes
      are surely to low for this application.

      > Looks like they use a J-Tag interface for programming.
      >
      > Rob - W3RG

    • w4wb
      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 1, 2003
        See http://www.renesas.com/eng/products/mpumcu/16bit/h8s/2100/2134/
        for more information on the CPU than you might care to read. ;-)

        If anyone that has had the CPU upgrade performed would kindly look at
        the markings on the CPU, then check the last two digits. The
        original CPU speed is 20 MHz (or 20), but there is a 30 MHz version
        (or 30). I am curious if they CPU has been increased which has other
        implications as well.

        73,
        Barry - W4WB
      • r tg
        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 2, 2003
          Any if you that have the W4RT charger may want to be make sure you are around when you have that thing plugged in and charging. The thermal design is so poor that it may not be a good idea to leave it plugged in without someone to monitor it while in fast charge mode.

          It gets so hot that the heat inside has melted the gray plastic AC power cord in the plastic housing. The heat sink , made made from U-channel bar stock similar to that found at Home Depot is clearly not a designed component to provide maximum thermal convection for the switching power transistor. The gray power cord was in contact with the heat sink.

          It is clear the overall design is just "blue wired" from the FT-817 charger has there are approximately 10 cuts and jumps with numerous additional components added. The jumpers had no insulation on them so the only thing keeping them from shorting was being bent up in the air over copper traces. At least use insulated wire and strip the ends!

          This item is not ready for the consumer. What I received was nothing more than a prototype at a full production readiness cost.

          The unit has not failed yet, although the melting plastic on the power wire prompted me to open it. My review commendation is to find an alternate power charger solution until this unit has been redesigned to be thermally reliable. This means significantly improved thermal management. Update the PCB to eliminate the poor workmanship and rework.

          There is nothing special about this design, it is clear the W4RT wanted to have a FT-897 charging solution with minimal effort. The price for that is poor quality and customer dissatisfaction. Thought these guys knew better than that!?!

          Rob - W3RG

          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 2, 2003
            I use my FT-897 for portable work. I bit the bullet and bought the entire
            charging system: the PA-26B/C/U charger and the CD-24 Adapter (you must have
            both) and can report they work well, as advertised, although expensive. W9WHX

          • Sandor
            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 2, 2003
              --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, darren <darrendude1000@y...> wrote:
              > has any one got a copy of the latest firm ware for the ft-897
              > so i can upgrade my radio.???
              > or know wher i can download it from?
              >

              > ..DARREN...
              >
              > AUSTRAILIA
              >
              > VICTORIA
              >
              > web page>
              >
              > http://www.geocities.com/darrendude1000/darrens.html

              Hey Guys,
              I was wondering if there was a set of alignment menu's like the "F"
              menus of the FT 100. The FT 100 also has a destination code in the
              set of hidden "F" menus. You could change this with a simple spin
              of the Main Dial. Do the 8xx series rigs have such a hidden
              alignment menu that anybody has discovered? This could be the cure
              for some o you with Japaneese BP rigs in the UK and Australia.
              Sandor KG4FET
            • Caronie Gold
              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 2, 2003
                --- Gschlicke@... wrote:
                > I use my FT-897 for portable work. I bit the bullet
                > and bought the entire
                > charging system: the PA-26B/C/U charger and the
                > CD-24 Adapter (you must have
                > both) and can report they work well, as advertised,
                > although expensive. W9WHX

                > removed]

                NOT TRUE!!!!

                You ONLY have to have the CD-24, Any 12 volt power
                will run it. The 13.6 volt power cord (for the FT-897)
                plugs into the CD-24 adapter which connects to the
                batteries. You ONLY have to have the CD-24

                http://search.yahoo.com
              • wa9fvp
                Message 7 of 28 , Aug 29, 2013
                  Hi guys!

                  I just came across your posts about the 897 MPU. Here's the deal.

                  There are two versions of the 897. The old version 897 had the Hitachi MPU, PLCC part with a larger footprint (14mm X 14mm), part number G1093341. The new 897 version has smaller MPU footprint (12mm X 12mm). and does not have a part number. Yaesu won't sell the CPU. the only recourse is to send your 897 to Yaesu service. They can change the MPU. They claim the reason why they don't sell it is because the part is blank and the have to install the firmware. I assume they do that using a microchip programmer and they have the "Hex" file.

                  Jack WA9FVP
                  Willco Electronics.

                  --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, darren <darrendude1000@...> wrote:

                  > ok good idea thank you!
                  >
                  > bama35640 <bama35640@...> wrote:Hi Darren, you just need to get ahold of the parts department at Yaesu
                  > and purchase a new CPU which will have the firmware in it. It should
                  > cost about 20.00 US or so.
                  >
                  > 73,
                  > Bob - N4BK
                  >

                  > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, darren <darrendude1000@y...> wrote:
                  > > we dont as far as i know
                  > > no warrnty in austrailia
                  > >
                  > > w4wb <w4wb@a...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > The firmware is contained in the WORM memory of the CPU. It is
                  > > designed so that it can't be externally read once written. To
                  > > upgrade the SW regards one to change the CPU. So were do folks in
                  > VK-
                  > > land now get their Yaesu warranty work performed Darren?
                  > > 73,
                  > > Barry - W4WB
                  > >
                  > > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, kc8ddq@a... wrote:

                  > > it my self
                  > > > >

                  > > > As far as I know there aren't any copies of the firmware out there
                  > > for the
                  > > > general public. I'm sure Yaesu won't release it. If there was a
                  > way
                  > > to get the
                  > > > firmware, I'm sure we would hear about it on this list first.
                  > > >
                  > > > Paul
                  > >

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  > > ..DARREN...
                  > >
                  > > AUSTRAILIA
                  > >
                  > > VICTORIA
                  > >
                  > > web page>
                  > >
                  > > http://www.geocities.com/darrendude1000/darrens.html

                  > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  > ..DARREN...
                  >
                  > AUSTRAILIA
                  >
                  > VICTORIA
                  >
                  > web page>
                  >
                  > http://www.geocities.com/darrendude1000/darrens.html

                • itstechpro
                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 22 11:26 AM
                    Just found that out re a replacement CPU order for a 2002 897.  Turns out that the CPU was OK afterall; I just didn't properly test its function initially, so I now have a spare Renesas CPU (which has been discontued by Renesas).  The parts department at Vertex said that, as you found out, the newer replacement CPUs are not sold as spare parts as they have to be programmed at the time of installation.  My 2L serial # used the original CPU.
                    Jules