Re: "Data Jack" for PSK31

  • k9wq
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2003
      I believe you'll find answers in the "Files" section for this group.
      See "897nomic.zip" by K8YSV. The document refers specifically to the
      Rigblaster nomic, but I think the information would be useful for
      connecting any PSK31 interface.

      You asked why one would need the squelch status line. The squelch
      status line is needed by TNC's such as the AEA PK-232. It's there to
      prevent a TNC from transmitting when there is a signal strong enough
      to open the squelch. Unlike, say, FM packet, PSK31 interfaces needn't
      care about the squelch status. With PSK31, there may be many signals
      in the pass band that would keep the squelch open. It's up to the
      PSK31 operator to put a narrow signal into the right place in a wider
      pass band.

      In any case, the FT-897 data port works nicely both for TNC's or for
      sound card interfaces such as the Rigblaster Nomic.

      Good luck,
      David
      K9WQ