Re: [FT897] potential wearing of PROM with CWID

  • Charles Scott
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 4, 2010
      Dean:

      It might not be coded that way. This could be why nobody is finding the
      callsign.

      Chuck

      On 10/4/2010 5:33 AM, Dean Gibson AE7Q wrote:

      > Why don't you set the CWID to KC2DWQ (that is your callsign, isn't it?)
      > and see where 14 0C 02 0D 20 1A shows up ???
      >
      > I would have thought with the Morse encoding table information I
      > provided, that you would have tried that before responding.

    • Dean Gibson AE7Q
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 4, 2010
        On 2010-10-04 05:03, Charles Scott wrote:
        > Dean:
        >
        > It might not be coded that way. This could be why nobody is finding the callsign.
        >
        > Chuck

        Well, that's how it's coded on the FT-897D, which was KC2DWQ's
        question. It certainly could be different on the FT-817, which is why I
        made my offer to look, if someone will send me a dump of the entire 8K
        EPROM (or, if you are local to Seattle, bring your FT-817 over to my
        house for ten minutes). I will publicly disclose the results for the
        FT-817.

        The memory maps of both KA7OEI (for the FT-817) and KC2DWQ (for the
        FT-897) stop at the end of the channel memories. There's several menu
        items stored beyond that on the FT-897D (I can only guess for the FT-817).

        It's not like I haven't tried to find out for the FT-817. Today I
        considered uploading a crippled copy of software I wrote five years ago
        to dump the contents of Yaesu radios. Then I remembered what happened
        five years ago when I requested (*on this forum*) beta testers to run it
        on their FT-817 radios, and report back the results. I had two
        volunteers (I still have their names) who claimed they had FT-817
        radios, and I communicated with them off-line to make sure they would
        actually run the simple program and report back the results, Both
        agreed that they would, and I sent them the software.

        Despite repeated reminder eMails, not only did they never report back
        the results, but they never even responded to my reminders. The sad
        part is, I had planned to release memory control for the FT-897 and
        FT-817 software (including source) under the GPL.

        So, if some of you out there think I'm a bit of an *!@#$%* [insert your
        own favorite word], you may be right. I just want you to know where I'm
        coming from.

        Sincerely, Dean / AE7Q