RE: [FT897] Re: how accurate is the SWR meter?

  • Simon
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 1, 2010
      Hi All,

      Re the antenna analyser, (I know this is a little off topic) there's a club
      in VK who are doing a kit version of an analyser for a cheaper price than
      the MFJ, and in my opinion it's every bit (if not better) as good as the
      MFJ.

      Visit http://www.scarc.org.au, and click on the projects link. The design
      is that of Jim, VK5TR (some of may know him as VK5JST)

      Price is (AU) $150 for international, or $135 for VK.

      Cheers

      Simon

      VK5LNX

      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 1, 2010
        do a google and you can also download the calibration info for these.
         very very useful to ensure all ok when measuring

        Thanks

        Chris Baker B.A.  Sunny Morecambe, the gateway to the LakesARS: G4LDSWAB:SD 46LOC: IO84 NBG-QRP: 6884IOTA: EU005The SANDS Contest group : G1T
        G4LDS@...

      • j. eric townsend
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 1, 2010
          Because I'm cheap, I started with the LDG FTL. It's really nice, a big
          display and all, but either I am the bestest antenna builder in the
          world or it's inaccurate. I find it hard to believe that my APRS tuned
          ground plane is 1:1 on the first rev and that all my AT-897 tuned freqs
          on my 40m dipole are also 1:1. The SWR meter goes nuts while I tune,
          but after that it drops down to "it's all good" when I xmit...

          On 9/30/10 10:38, ke5dfr@... wrote:
          > Another vote for the MFj 259B and a FTL, LDG meter.
          >
          > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Leon Singh<control@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> If you are really into building antennas, and got more to build, invest in
          >> the MFJ 259 B swr analyzer ...............I have never had any problems with
          >> them.
          >>
          >> --
          >>

          >> Leon Singh - 9Z4BM
          >> http://9z4bm.tripod.com/
          >> http://9z4bm-hamradio.tripod.com/
          >>
          >> I am able to do all things through Christ who strengthens me .

          J. Eric Townsend
          design: www.allartburns.org; hacking: www.flatline.net; HF: KG6ZVQ
          PGP: 0xD0D8C2E8 AC9B 0A23 C61A 1B4A 27C5 F799 A681 3C11 D0D8 C2E8
        • DALE
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 1, 2010
            All I am concerned about is if the SWR is high or low. If it is high I find out why and fix it.
            If it is low I transmit.
            Many hams do not know what the numbers mean anyway.
            Dale

            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 2, 2010
              The SWR meter on the rig is telling you just that, what the SWR is at the
              rig, AFTER the tuner has matched the antenna to your rig. That's the reason
              the SWR meter "goes nuts" while you tune, you are seeing the tuner in the
              process of selecting the right match for the antenna. In order to really
              see how well your antenna resonates, you need either an outboard SWR monitor
              (Autek makes one), or an actual antenna analyzer like the MFJ units.

              73,
              Ken
              KJ9B

              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 2, 2010
                Right, I figured that was the case. But it also drops to 1:1 on VHF,
                where there is no outboard tuner. Maybe I just built a good antenna? :-)

                On 10/2/10 09:05, Ken Bandy wrote:
                > The SWR meter on the rig is telling you just that, what the SWR is at the
                > rig, AFTER the tuner has matched the antenna to your rig. That's the reason
                > the SWR meter "goes nuts" while you tune, you are seeing the tuner in the
                > process of selecting the right match for the antenna. In order to really
                > see how well your antenna resonates, you need either an outboard SWR monitor
                > (Autek makes one), or an actual antenna analyzer like the MFJ units.
                >
                > 73,
                > Ken
                > KJ9B

              • tailfeathers
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 2, 2010
                  2m antenna?...those are hard to get wrong...:>)

                  n8gsj

                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 2, 2010
                    It's my first one! I'm used to doing metalwork at +/- .005, surface
                    mount soldering chips and making exact scale models and wasn't sure how
                    fine the tolerances need to be on a ground plane antenna. I think I'm
                    +/- 1mm or so and that makes me nervous. :-)