Re: What the @#$% just happened?

  • webfootwandere
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 7 4:48 AM
      Peter-

      Sorry for your difficulty and while this is not a solution to your particular problem, I hope you find it helpful for the future!

      See Message # 18653.

      Sooner or later, we all do a "hard reset." So be prepared! And thanks for posting - it reminded me to update my file!

      Rick - N7WE (formerly AI4LG)
    • pascalpete
      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 7 6:29 AM
        Jay,

        Thanks for the heads-up. I gave a quick skim of the reviews (I had read them before buying it) but did not see anything at first glance that looked like what I have happening.

        However...

        One of my first thoughts when the radio reset was that I needed to take a close look at the tuner.

        The tuner has functioned flawlessly thus far. Of course, that isn't proof positive that it didn't flake out all of a sudden.

        I'll keep that in mind.

        For the time being, I am going to try going back to 20 meters and reducing power and see what that does for me. I just don't know what conditions can trigger a reset (short of the manual input sequence).

        My ground outside appears to be intact on my grounding rod, so I am puzzled.

        However, someone mentioned maybe RF in the shack. Well, the antenna passes along the opposite side of the wall where the radio is. However, after 6 months of operations with no problems, I re-oriented the antenna in such a way as to actually put MORE distance between the pole and the house. Now this happens. Really weird.

        Well, I guess I get to investigate this. Too bad I was looking forward to the first time I'd have time actually USING the thing with lots of time.

        Alas, hopefully I'll come out of this a bit smarter about how the equipment and antenna all works.

        Thanks again for your input.

        Peter Lee
        K8ACS

        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, af2c@... wrote:

        > Peter -
        >
        > As a point of interest, there has been some issues with the LDG-897. Most
        > reviews have been positive, but a few may relate to the problems you are
        > having:
        >
        > http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3265
        >
        > We bought a LDG YT-100 for use on Field Day. It performed
        > flawlessly. However there is difference in price...It's worth it.
        >
        > http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/8322
        >
        > 73,
        > Jay/AF2C
        >

        > At 12:03 AM 9/7/2010 +0000, you wrote:
        > >

        > >Well...given the fact that I just spent over an hour=s recovering some of
        > >the settings...then had the same blasted thing happen to me again when I
        > >when I tuned into 20 meters (was fine on 145 Mhz and 440 Mhz FM, I suspect
        > >you may be right.
        > >
        > >Guess I'll have to figure out if I lost my ground or something.
        > >
        > >Any suggestions appreciated.
        > >
        > >Peter Lee
        > >K8ACS
        > >
        > >--- In <mailto:FT897%40yahoogroups.com>FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Matt
        > >Patterson" <mattpatt@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Sounds to me like you may have gotten a little RF feedback.
        > > >

        > > > 73 Matt
        > > >
        > > > W5LL

      • pascalpete
        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 7 6:30 AM
          Is this a common thing (RF feedback resetting the radio)? I've never heard of such a thing before. I mean, RF in the shack causing problems...yeah...but resetting the radio? That seems awfully...well...deliberate.

          Are these radios build/programmed to reset upon large RF fields close by?

          Thanks.

          Peter Lee
          K8ACS

          --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Patrick <milw156@...> wrote:

          > Sounds like RF feedback reset the 897..............Patrick KI8UM
          >
          > On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 6:29 PM, pascalpete <YahooGroups@...>wrote:
          >

          > > Okay, so I FINALLY get some vacation...get a few minutes to play with the
          > > radio. This is an FT-897D with the FT-30 power supply, an LDG-897 tuner
          > > hooked to a G5RV-jr. Have had NO problems with this setup at all for 6
          > > months.
          > >
          > > Earlier today I was on a 2-meter repeater, and this evening jumped on to
          > > try an HF contact (haven't had on in a while). Was unsuccessful a few times,
          > > switched over to 20 meters, tuned up, found a free frequency and tried a CQ
          > > call.
          > >
          > > The radio shut-off (powered down completely), then in a second or two
          > > powered back up with a pink screen and what appears to be all settings lost.
          > > All memories are gone, even the simplest settings seem to be erased.
          > >
          > > On the positive side, I can hear stations on HF so the receiver is working.
          > >
          > > What the heck just happened? something trigger a complete reset?
          > >
          > > I searched the forum but did not find anything on this. Oh boy is this
          > > going to be a pain to try to get all those settings back!
          > >
          > > Peter Lee
          > > K8ACS

        • pascalpete
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 7 6:31 AM
            Thanks...will give that a try at first opportunity. Makes sense.

            Peter Lee
            K8ACS

            --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Bernard" <berny@...> wrote:

            > Maybe try it with low power.
            > Guess the RF shouldn't be there when using 5 watts.
            > Also try without turner.
            > The autoturners for the FT897 are nice,but you are not able to bypass it.
            > I have no autoturner but a MFJ-949D...
            > I never use it,my antenna's are good enought,the worst SWR is around 1:2.0.
            > Maybe you get the RF from the small kabel between radio and Turner.
            > I would try the radio on low power and also without turner,see what happens
            > then.
            >
            > Good Luck.
            >

            > 73's and Good Health and DX
            >
            > Bernard de PD7BZ
            > http://www.pd7bz.nl
            > DMC #1161 - EPC #3647 NL01
            > QSL via LoTW , Buro , Direct , eQSL

          • storygene
            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 7 6:40 AM
              Peter -
              I did not see anyone mention making a simple choke balun out of coax. This is a very effective way to stop RF current from going backward in your antenna cable to the radio. If you are having RF current issues, this can be the solution. And make sure you have a true and proper station ground.

              Rather than re-invent the wheel, see http://www.hamuniverse.com/balun.html
              for various examples of making this type of balun. You might have most of the materials around your place but in any event, making these are cheap and very effective.

              Gene / KI6SXW

              --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "pascalpete" <YahooGroups@...> wrote:

              > Thanks...will give that a try at first opportunity. Makes sense.
              >
              > Peter Lee
              > K8ACS
              >
              > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Bernard" <berny@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Maybe try it with low power.
              > > Guess the RF shouldn't be there when using 5 watts.
              > > Also try without turner.
              > > The autoturners for the FT897 are nice,but you are not able to bypass it.
              > > I have no autoturner but a MFJ-949D...
              > > I never use it,my antenna's are good enought,the worst SWR is around 1:2.0.
              > > Maybe you get the RF from the small kabel between radio and Turner.
              > > I would try the radio on low power and also without turner,see what happens
              > > then.
              > >
              > > Good Luck.
              > >

              > > 73's and Good Health and DX
              > >
              > > Bernard de PD7BZ
              > > http://www.pd7bz.nl
              > > DMC #1161 - EPC #3647 NL01
              > > QSL via LoTW , Buro , Direct , eQSL

            • KB1TCD
              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 7 6:58 AM
                Dave,

                The laptop itself is not causing any problems, if I disconnect the charger,
                everything behaves properly, if I use the charger for our other Dell laptop it
                behaves fine as well. If I use aftermarket charger on either the laptop in the
                shack or the other Dell laptop anywhere else in the house, I get noise on voice
                as well as on the waterfall as steady blue covering the waterfall.
                Aftermarket charger is random, btw, right now it's charging the laptop, most of
                the time it will not.
                Laptops do freeze up at times if I'm transmiting on 80 metres and try to move
                the mouse.
                Perhaps what I need is an exorcist...
                The antennas ARE too close to the house, in fact they are attached to the side
                of the house and I have all my coax up in the attic then going down to the shack
                from there. I realise that having antennas too close to the house can cause
                problems as well.

                Digitally I usually do Olivia 8/500, MT63-500, and MFSK-16.
                Also do a lot with Winmor RMS (Winlink)

                I use a Signalink USB, the FT-897D and the LDG AT-897 Plus tuner.
                The MFJ-931 Artificial Ground is attached to the LDG tuner and a counterpoise
                wire of about 160 ft is spread out over the floor of the shack.
                For voice we also use a Kenwood TS-520 w/tube finals.

                Our Alpha Delta DX-B sloper is not supposed to work w/o a capacitance hat, but
                the counterpoises on the GAP Eagle vertical seem to be serving as a cap hat of
                sorts.

                Cheers!

                ...and 73 de Jose Douglas - KB1TCD

                ________________________________
                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 7 7:10 AM
                  Peter -

                  If the tuner is having a tough time seeking and finding a match, or under
                  higher power, the match changes due to heating in the tuner...You might
                  develop RF in the shack which would cause problems.

                  The feeling that I got was that YT-100 was a better built unit and gave a
                  better performance under conditions of High SWR. Under all conditions a
                  good ground is a must.

                  73,
                  Jay/AF2C

                  At 01:29 PM 9/7/2010 +0000, you wrote:

                  >Jay,
                  >
                  >Thanks for the heads-up. I gave a quick skim of the reviews (I had read
                  >them before buying it) but did not see anything at first glance that
                  >looked like what I have happening.
                  >
                  >However...
                  >
                  >One of my first thoughts when the radio reset was that I needed to take a
                  >close look at the tuner.
                  >
                  >The tuner has functioned flawlessly thus far. Of course, that isn't proof
                  >positive that it didn't flake out all of a sudden.
                  >
                  >I'll keep that in mind.
                  >
                  >For the time being, I am going to try going back to 20 meters and reducing
                  >power and see what that does for me. I just don't know what conditions can
                  >trigger a reset (short of the manual input sequence).
                  >
                  >My ground outside appears to be intact on my grounding rod, so I am puzzled.
                  >
                  >However, someone mentioned maybe RF in the shack. Well, the antenna passes
                  >along the opposite side of the wall where the radio is. However, after 6
                  >months of operations with no problems, I re-oriented the antenna in such a
                  >way as to actually put MORE distance between the pole and the house. Now
                  >this happens. Really weird.
                  >
                  >Well, I guess I get to investigate this. Too bad I was looking forward to
                  >the first time I'd have time actually USING the thing with lots of time.
                  >
                  >Alas, hopefully I'll come out of this a bit smarter about how the
                  >equipment and antenna all works.
                  >
                  >Thanks again for your input.
                  >
                  >Peter Lee
                  >K8ACS
                  >
                  >--- In <mailto:FT897%40yahoogroups.com>FT897@yahoogroups.com, af2c@... wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Peter -
                  > >
                  > > As a point of interest, there has been some issues with the LDG-897. Most
                  > > reviews have been positive, but a few may relate to the problems you are
                  > > having:
                  > >

                  > <http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3265>http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3265
                  > >
                  > > We bought a LDG YT-100 for use on Field Day. It performed
                  > > flawlessly. However there is difference in price...It's worth it.
                  > >

                  > <http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/8322>http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/8322
                  > >
                  > > 73,
                  > > Jay/AF2C
                  > >

                  > > At 12:03 AM 9/7/2010 +0000, you wrote:
                  > > >

                  > > >Well...given the fact that I just spent over an hour=s recovering some of
                  > > >the settings...then had the same blasted thing happen to me again when I
                  > > >when I tuned into 20 meters (was fine on 145 Mhz and 440 Mhz FM, I
                  > suspect
                  > > >you may be right.
                  > > >
                  > > >Guess I'll have to figure out if I lost my ground or something.
                  > > >
                  > > >Any suggestions appreciated.
                  > > >
                  > > >Peter Lee
                  > > >K8ACS
                  > > >
                  > > >--- In
                  > <mailto:FT897%40yahoogroups.com><mailto:FT897%40yahoogroups.com>FT897@yahoogroups.com,

                • William
                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 7 8:21 AM
                    Bad RF or power. Could be the jumper coax, the antenna, the power supply... or a combination. You didn't mention if you were using a diplexer or if that was attached properly.

                    My AT 897 had loose so-239's on the rear panel. Had to removed cover and carefully tighten them.. but no bad experience since then.

                    I would suggest trying HF at very low power and working up .. carefully watching SWR [on 897 panel if no meter available]. Anything over 3:1 will generally cause a shutdown.

                    PS-- I do assume you are using a powerful-enough power supply. Inadequate amps would also cause the same type of problem.

                    Good luck and be careful. I blew out my finals once as new ham by not carefully checking all the cables and watching the SWR.

                    73,

                    Bill W1WAB

                    --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "pascalpete" <YahooGroups@...> wrote:

                    > Well...given the fact that I just spent over an hour=s recovering some of the settings...then had the same blasted thing happen to me again when I when I tuned into 20 meters (was fine on 145 Mhz and 440 Mhz FM, I suspect you may be right.
                    >
                    > Guess I'll have to figure out if I lost my ground or something.
                    >
                    > Any suggestions appreciated.
                    >
                    > Peter Lee
                    > K8ACS
                    >
                    > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Patterson" <mattpatt@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Sounds to me like you may have gotten a little RF feedback.
                    > >

                    > > 73 Matt
                    > >
                    > > W5LL

                  • Stanton Royce
                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 7 12:51 PM
                      Regarding your question about software for FT-897D, there are two types,
                      programming/ set up and operation/ control.

                      For programming, I'm using ADMS-4B with the USB cable. It is important to read
                      the software use instructions because the default mode for the software is to
                      ONLY REMEMBER FREQUENCIES AND NOT SETTINGS which are different from default
                      FT-897D settings. That means if you have a radio reset all this software will
                      help with is restoring freuencies in memory, not other radio settings. You have
                      to click a box in the software if you want it to remember radio settings. The
                      down side of remembering settings is, there does not appear to be a sync option,
                      either what is in the software on the PC over rides the xcvr or visa versa when
                      you do a data transfer. When you read the software set up instructions this will
                      be clear to you.

                      For operating software, I started with the free Ham Radio Deluxe, continue to
                      use it and have not tried any of the other operating software. You can search
                      online for "ham radio software reviews" to learn what are your options, or maybe
                      others here will teach both of us something about this!

                      73

                      Stanton Royce AE5UE

                      ________________________________
                      Well...on the positive side...as I reset the settings (started with a local FM
                      repeater) the radio appears to be working. Haven't tested on HF yet. Looks like
                      the radio went through a factory reset. Not sure why.

                      I'm new as a HAM and this radio is new to me as well.

                      I have the CAT cable but I don't have any software for imaging the settings on
                      the radio. I see a few software packages on Google for this purpose but would
                      appreciate any recommendations.

                      Thanks.

                      Peter Lee
                      K8ACS

                      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "pascalpete" <YahooGroups@...> wrote:

                      > Okay, so I FINALLY get some vacation...get a few minutes to play with the
                      >radio. This is an FT-897D with the FT-30 power supply, an LDG-897 tuner hooked
                      >to a G5RV-jr. Have had NO problems with this setup at all for 6 months.
                      >
                      > Earlier today I was on a 2-meter repeater, and this evening jumped on to try an
                      >HF contact (haven't had on in a while). Was unsuccessful a few times, switched
                      >over to 20 meters, tuned up, found a free frequency and tried a CQ call.
                      >
                      > The radio shut-off (powered down completely), then in a second or two powered
                      >back up with a pink screen and what appears to be all settings lost. All
                      >memories are gone, even the simplest settings seem to be erased.
                      >
                      > On the positive side, I can hear stations on HF so the receiver is working.
                      >
                      > What the heck just happened? something trigger a complete reset?
                      >
                      > I searched the forum but did not find anything on this. Oh boy is this going to
                      >be a pain to try to get all those settings back!
                      >
                      > Peter Lee
                      > K8ACS

                    • Stanton Royce
                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 7 1:29 PM
                        Did this happen right after you moved the antenna a llittle further away from
                        the pole and the house, from the shack? It is possible this change positioned
                        the radio (and or operator) in a stronger RF or magnetic field or caused RF to
                        circulate somehow in the shack where it was not present or not present at the
                        current strength, before the antenna was repositioned.

                        Stanton Royce AE5UE

                        ________________________________
                        Thanks for the heads-up. I gave a quick skim of the reviews (I had read them
                        before buying it) but did not see anything at first glance that looked like what
                        I have happening.

                        However...

                        One of my first thoughts when the radio reset was that I needed to take a close
                        look at the tuner.

                        The tuner has functioned flawlessly thus far. Of course, that isn't proof
                        positive that it didn't flake out all of a sudden.

                        I'll keep that in mind.

                        For the time being, I am going to try going back to 20 meters and reducing power
                        and see what that does for me. I just don't know what conditions can trigger a
                        reset (short of the manual input sequence).

                        My ground outside appears to be intact on my grounding rod, so I am puzzled.

                        However, someone mentioned maybe RF in the shack. Well, the antenna passes along
                        the opposite side of the wall where the radio is. However, after 6 months of
                        operations with no problems, I re-oriented the antenna in such a way as to
                        actually put MORE distance between the pole and the house. Now this happens.
                        Really weird.

                        Well, I guess I get to investigate this. Too bad I was looking forward to the
                        first time I'd have time actually USING the thing with lots of time.

                        Alas, hopefully I'll come out of this a bit smarter about how the equipment and
                        antenna all works.

                        Thanks again for your input.

                        Peter Lee
                        K8ACS

                        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, af2c@... wrote:

                        > Peter -
                        >
                        > As a point of interest, there has been some issues with the LDG-897. Most
                        > reviews have been positive, but a few may relate to the problems you are
                        > having:
                        >
                        > http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3265
                        >
                        > We bought a LDG YT-100 for use on Field Day. It performed
                        > flawlessly. However there is difference in price...It's worth it.
                        >
                        > http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/8322
                        >
                        > 73,
                        > Jay/AF2C
                        >

                        > At 12:03 AM 9/7/2010 +0000, you wrote:
                        > >

                        > >Well...given the fact that I just spent over an hour=s recovering some of
                        > >the settings...then had the same blasted thing happen to me again when I
                        > >when I tuned into 20 meters (was fine on 145 Mhz and 440 Mhz FM, I suspect
                        > >you may be right.
                        > >
                        > >Guess I'll have to figure out if I lost my ground or something.
                        > >
                        > >Any suggestions appreciated.
                        > >
                        > >Peter Lee
                        > >K8ACS
                        > >
                        > >--- In <mailto:FT897%40yahoogroups.com>FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Matt
                        > >Patterson" <mattpatt@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Sounds to me like you may have gotten a little RF feedback.
                        > > >

                        > > > 73 Matt
                        > > >
                        > > > W5LL

                      • Jerry McIntosh
                        Message 11 of 28 , Sep 7 3:02 PM
                          Sounds like RF feedback. You might need a current balum in line between the
                          tuner and the antenna.

                          73, Jerry

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 7 5:50 PM
                            Peter,

                            For software I HIGHLY recommend Bob's Basic MMO.
                            http://www.g4hfq.co.uk

                            You can download it, set-up all the repeaters, and be in good shape if the
                            reset happens again as you can reload everything with a few clicks.

                            Bob is very consumer fiendly.
                            I got a beautiful used 897 but the radio and computer were not able to
                            communicate.
                            I knew the cable was good because it worked with my other 897.
                            Bob immediately replied to my e-mail and was able to diagnose the problem.

                            Diagnosis - No power at the CAT port because of a blown internal fuse
                            A USB cable would work, while the serial would not, because
                            it gets power from the computer.

                            http://www.g4hfq.co.uk/mmohelp/mmohelp.htm

                            --
                            B Anderson
                            K 6 TI

                          • ke7adu
                            Message 13 of 28 , Sep 8 6:28 PM
                              I had the same problem with a third party charger for my MacBook. Charger works great but it spews RF. I purchased a real Apple charger and no more issues. Once again proving you get what you pay for.

                              I was able to quiet the other charger by using several ferite beads.

                              Anthony
                              AE7HS

                              --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, KB1TCD <josedouglas@...> wrote:

                              > Hi all.
                              >
                              > Our shack is on the second floor, which poses a grounding problem of its own.
                              > To address this we bought an MFJ-931 Artificial Ground, which has helped a lot,
                              > especially on our Eagle GAP vertical antenna on 20 and 30m and on 80m on the
                              > Alpha Delta Sloper antenna.
                              > A couple of weeks ago I got a Dell Inspiron 1501 Vista laptop back from my
                              > daughter, it has an aftermarker charger that actually won't charge the laptop
                              > but keeps its running. The Systemax XP pro laptop I was using has a hard time
                              > keeping the wireless connection going in the shack, so I switched it w/the Dell.
                              >
                              > Been doing a lot of digital as of late and noticed that conditions where
                              > deteriorating fast.
                              > With hurricane Earl, which was a non-event here in Maine, I had disconnected
                              > anything Friday before we left the house.
                              > Re-connecting Sat morning I tried voice on 20m, made a DX contact straight away,
                              > when I proceeded to hook up the laptop, everything just about dissapeared into
                              > noise. Unpluged laptop, back to normal.
                              >
                              > Noise the same on both HF rigs, the 897D coupled to an LDG 897 tuner and the
                              > Kenwood TS-520.
                              > We have a similar Dell laptop, used it's charger and everything is back to
                              > normal.
                              > Doesn't matter where in the house we plug in the after market charger,
                              > unbearable noise returns.
                              > I have ordered a Dell charger and unplug the laptop while working stations for
                              > now.
                              >
                              > So, warning, if anyone has a Dell laptop, avoid getting an aftermarket charger,
                              > apparently a lot of them won't charge as Dell laptop won't recognise the
                              > charger, and they make radio life unberable.
                              >
                              > 73 de Jose Douglas - KB1TCD

                            • pascalpete
                              Message 14 of 28 , Sep 8 10:03 PM
                                Thanks, Rick. That software looks like it is just what the doctor ordered.

                                Peter Lee
                                K8ACS

                                --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "webfootwandere" <n7we@...> wrote:

                                > Peter-
                                >
                                > Sorry for your difficulty and while this is not a solution to your particular problem, I hope you find it helpful for the future!
                                >
                                > See Message # 18653.
                                >
                                > Sooner or later, we all do a "hard reset." So be prepared! And thanks for posting - it reminded me to update my file!
                                >
                                > Rick - N7WE (formerly AI4LG)

                              • pascalpete
                                Message 15 of 28 , Sep 8 10:07 PM
                                  Thanks Gene.

                                  I have a Radio Works T-4G Line Isolator, which I thought was in part performing the same job...preventing RF from backtracking up my feed line. I'll have to educate myself a bit more to see if this covers that base or not.

                                  Peter Lee
                                  K8ACS

                                  --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "storygene" <ki6sxw@...> wrote:

                                  > Peter -
                                  > I did not see anyone mention making a simple choke balun out of coax. This is a very effective way to stop RF current from going backward in your antenna cable to the radio. If you are having RF current issues, this can be the solution. And make sure you have a true and proper station ground.
                                  >
                                  > Rather than re-invent the wheel, see http://www.hamuniverse.com/balun.html
                                  > for various examples of making this type of balun. You might have most of the materials around your place but in any event, making these are cheap and very effective.
                                  >
                                  > Gene / KI6SXW
                                  >
                                  > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "pascalpete" <YahooGroups@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Thanks...will give that a try at first opportunity. Makes sense.
                                  > >
                                  > > Peter Lee
                                  > > K8ACS
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Bernard" <berny@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Maybe try it with low power.
                                  > > > Guess the RF shouldn't be there when using 5 watts.
                                  > > > Also try without turner.
                                  > > > The autoturners for the FT897 are nice,but you are not able to bypass it.
                                  > > > I have no autoturner but a MFJ-949D...
                                  > > > I never use it,my antenna's are good enought,the worst SWR is around 1:2.0.
                                  > > > Maybe you get the RF from the small kabel between radio and Turner.
                                  > > > I would try the radio on low power and also without turner,see what happens
                                  > > > then.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Good Luck.
                                  > > >

                                  > > > 73's and Good Health and DX
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Bernard de PD7BZ
                                  > > > http://www.pd7bz.nl
                                  > > > DMC #1161 - EPC #3647 NL01
                                  > > > QSL via LoTW , Buro , Direct , eQSL

                                • pascalpete
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Sep 8 10:14 PM
                                    Stanton,

                                    Yes, this is every much what happened. However, I had one afternoon of use without any problems. I *think* this is because I was most likely not on 20 meters (nearest I can remember. I made no contacts that day, though I did try CQ calls more than once. Might have been on 40 meters.

                                    My current theory is that RF is the problem and most likely caused by the antenna re-alignment. Said realignment brought the antenna out away from the house but now in direct line-of-site to my rather long grounding wire that exits my second story room and goes down to the ground. That has always been a concern of mine and I think I might be getting RF into the shack along this line. I haven't had time to run any tests yet since this problem came up, but I am hoping to run some tomorrow.

                                    I do have an MFJ "artificial ground" box which is not yet hooked up. Perhaps when I hook it up I will be able to de-tune the ground wire for 20 meters...assuming that is the problem (which is my odds-on favorite at the moment).

                                    But first, I am getting that software mentioned by others to allow me to store my radio settings before I test. Actually, the low power testing will be the first thing I try...along with testing on other bands.

                                    I appreciate everyone's feedback. It has been very educational for me...especially since I am a ham of less than 12 months.

                                    Peter Lee
                                    K8ACS

                                    --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Stanton Royce <extremeachievers@...> wrote:

                                    > Did this happen right after you moved the antenna a llittle further away from
                                    > the pole and the house, from the shack? It is possible this change positioned
                                    > the radio (and or operator) in a stronger RF or magnetic field or caused RF to
                                    > circulate somehow in the shack where it was not present or not present at the
                                    > current strength, before the antenna was repositioned.
                                    >

                                    > Stanton Royce AE5UE
                                    >

                                    > ________________________________

                                  • Don Russell
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Sep 9 9:37 AM
                                      I just got a brand new macbook pro 13 inch. the charger is horrible with rf
                                      noise,
                                      all over the entire hf band. It's the OEM one that came with the laptop.
                                      Shame on
                                      apple. they are normally good with that stuff. I can't charge the mac and
                                      use the 897
                                      at the same time. Unplug the charger, no noise. Going to try and add clamp
                                      on toroids.

                                      --
                                      Don Russell, CBRE CBNT
                                      W9DRR - ARRL OES, Technical Specialist