Tapping PTT makes receiver recover sensitivity.

  • agodney
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1 3:40 AM
      When receiving on 2 meters FM on my FT897D the "S" meter will, once in a while, drop about 4 "S" points, if the signal was say signal strength 5 then the noise also increases. If I transmit for a brief period the receiver will recover and indicate signal strength 5 again and the noise decreases. This is similar to the older type of radio when the antenna relay contacts were dirty. The FT897D has a diode switching line that controls the antenna. I have not noticed this fault on other bands but I really only use 2 meters constantly at present.
      I wonder if anyone else has experienced this problem and how they fixed it.
      Thanks Allan M0CBG
    • john_kb0ne
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2 6:43 AM
        Hi Allen,
        Yes, My 897D does the *exact* same thing.... I had posted about this earlier. It isn't bad enough yet to make me crack the case and fix it.

        John KB0NE

        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "agodney" <agodney@...> wrote:

        > When receiving on 2 meters FM on my FT897D the "S" meter will, once in a while, drop about 4 "S" points, i
        > I wonder if anyone else has experienced this problem and how they fixed it.
        > Thanks Allan M0CBG

      • rrlanders2
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2 9:42 AM
          I have seen this on 30 meters pretty consistently with my
          FT-897D. I have not noticed it on 2 meters.

          Like John, it's not bad enough to motivate me to investigate it any
          further.

          73, Rod WI0T

          --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "john_kb0ne" <wa0lhb@...> wrote:

          > Hi Allen,
          > Yes, My 897D does the *exact* same thing.... I had posted about this earlier. It isn't bad enough yet to make me crack the case and fix it.
          >
          > John KB0NE
          >
          > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "agodney" <agodney@> wrote:
          > >
          > > When receiving on 2 meters FM on my FT897D the "S" meter will, once in a while, drop about 4 "S" points, i
          > > I wonder if anyone else has experienced this problem and how they fixed it.
          > > Thanks Allan M0CBG

        • Ken
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2 10:36 AM
            --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "agodney" <agodney@...> wrote:

            > When receiving on 2 meters FM on my FT897D the "S" meter will, once in a while, drop about 4 "S" points, if the signal was say signal strength 5 then the noise also increases. If I transmit for a brief period the receiver will recover and indicate signal strength 5 again and the noise decreases. This is similar to the older type of radio when the antenna relay contacts were dirty. The FT897D has a diode switching line that controls the antenna. I have not noticed this fault on other bands but I really only use 2 meters constantly at present.
            > I wonder if anyone else has experienced this problem and how they fixed it.
            > Thanks Allan M0CBG

            Found this don't know if this will help

            It's possible to make a relay cleaning, of the Yaesu FT-897 transceiver, by pressing the "DWN" and "UP" keys simultaneously and turn ON the transceiver.
          • Dooley
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 3 3:14 AM
              I have tried this, but it did not fix the problem. I run two FT-897D made in different years and they both do this very consistently on all the bands EXCEPT VHF and UHF. They did this at the home QTH for a couple of years and when I was QRV in Iraq as YI9VDW for the last year. Just got home a couple of weeks ago and resetting up the HF towers and antennas yesterday and today. I have tried mutiple power supplies, batteries, rf grounding and ferrite chokes etc. thinking that were the problems too - they were not. I'll let you know if this continues...

              73

              Buck
              W4VDW/YI9VDW/AAR4NGC/AAR4NGP