Re: [FT897] The LDG AT-897 Plus Tuner

  • Rob Stampfli
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2010
      On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 12:30:45AM -0000, scotchmandr wrote:
      > Regarding The LDG AT-897 Plus Tuner.
      >
      > The site states the following:
      >
      > "The tuner has a front panel button to initiate the tuning sequence while lowering the RF power to 25 watts"
      >
      > Does this mean if I have it turned down to say, 10 watts for operation in my tent with an antenna off of it's back, does it then actually turn the power UP? Or will it tune at whatever power setting I have the TXCVR at already if under 25 watts and only lower it to 25 if it is greater than that.
      >
      > Lets say I have my 897 turned to 5W for some QRP... Will it turn UP to 25W to tune? This would not be good if I am using a QRP antenna rated for 10W max.

      I have no inside knowledge of this but, based on what I've read, the
      AT-897Plus tuner saves the current mode, then puts the rig in AM mode,
      and then keys the transmitter. When done, it restores the previous
      mode. You can verify this by watching the display closely and seeing
      the transition to AM and back. In AM mode, the carrier is theoretically
      always 1/4 the RF power set in menu 75. Thus setting the RF power
      control to the max would result in a carrier of 25W, and it is this
      carrier which is used for tuning. Decreasing the max RF power should
      also decrease the 25W carrier linearly, and empirically it does decrease
      the carrier, although on my wattmeter it is not all that linear. But,
      tuning up with the max power set to 5W will result in something less
      than 5W of available carrier to tune with.

      Note that while the tuner is in the process of tuning, the rig is
      essentially transmitting an AM signal, so anything you say that is
      picked up by the mic goes out over the air.

      Hope this answers your question.

      Rob / KD8WK
    • bw3us
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2010
        If you lower your power, it (the 897) will not go above that setting.
        Try it and see, it's easy enough.
        Bill, k3waw

        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "scotchmandr" <scotchmandr@...> wrote:

        > Regarding The LDG AT-897 Plus Tuner.
        >
        > The site states the following:
        >
        > "The tuner has a front panel button to initiate the tuning sequence while lowering the RF power to 25 watts"
        >

        > Does this mean if I have it turned down to say, 10 watts for operation in my tent with an antenna off of it's back, does it then actually turn the power UP? Or will it tune at whatever power setting I have the TXCVR at already if under 25 watts and only lower it to 25 if it is greater than that.
        >
        > Lets say I have my 897 turned to 5W for some QRP... Will it turn UP to 25W to tune? This would not be good if I am using a QRP antenna rated for 10W max.
        >
        > 73,
        > Phillip (N8AYE)
        > -. ---.. .- -.-- .

      • Stanton Royce
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2010
          Yes, try it and see but I don't recommend using the 10 watt antenna for the
          test. Use an appropriately rated dummy load or antenna rated for at least 25
          watts.

          One consideration however, I do not know if the AT-897 tuner remembers settings
          as does the SCG SG-230. If it does, and you test it with a different antenna on
          that frequency, the SG-230 remembers the previous setting and goes to that but
          will retune if the SWR is above a certain level.

          Stanton Royce AE5UE