Re: CW Selectivity.

  • g8ubj
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 3, 2010
      Agree,
      A filter is essential for CW/RTTY operating.

      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, af2c@... wrote:

      > Rich -
      >
      > In my humble opinion there is no substitute for a CW filter.
      >
      > Although my prime rigs are a Drake TR7 with CW filter(s) and a FT1000D
      > loaded with filters, my FT857D's both have Inrad CW filters. I've operated
      > the 857Ds without the filters (relying filtering available in the rig) and
      > there is no comparison.
      >
      > If you like to operate CW as a main mode...Invest in the filter. The
      > filters are "plug and play" and very easy to install...No soldering.
      >
      > I would suggest an Inrad 500Hz filter...The 300Hz is bit too narrow.
      >
      > 73,
      > Jay/AF2C
      >

      > At 05:51 PM 7/30/2010 -0400, you wrote:
      > >

      > >Strongly considering purchase of 897D for primary use on CW and
      > >secondarily data; but do not want to shell out more big bucks for narrow
      > >filters. Question: is the dsp filtering adjustable and narrow enough for
      > >contest level cw?
      > >
      > >Tks, de Rich/n2JR
      > >
      > >Sent from my iPad...R. Harrison

    • Steve Yates
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 3, 2010
        Rich,

        I agree with the other posters. However, using the FT-897D's DSP filters is no different then using audio filters that were popular with rigs from the 70's. Keep the RF Gain throttled back so that the AGC doesn't get pumped by signals outside of the filter's bandpass and you can often get by pretty well.

        73,
        Steve - AA5TB
      • Richard Harrison
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 4, 2010
          Thanks Jay for taking the time to respond. I have 300Hz filters in my 920 and 817. If I pounce on an 857, will opt for the 500Hz filters.
          de Rich/N2JR

          Sent from my iPad...R. Harrison
        • Richard Harrison
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 4, 2010
            "Agree,
            A filter is essential for CW/RTTY operating."

            Sir, thank you for your input.

            Sent from my iPad...R. Harrison

          • Richard Harrison
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 4, 2010
              "I agree with the other posters. However, using the FT-897D's DSP filters is no different then using audio filters that were popular with rigs from the 70's. Keep the RF Gain throttled back so that the AGC doesn't get pumped by signals outside of the filter's bandpass and you can often get by pretty well."

              Just like my FT-970. Thanks for your cogent remarks.
              de Rich/N2JR

              Sent from my iPad...R. Harrison

            • Clark
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 5, 2010
                One more opinion - I know you ask if you can live without the extra IF filter, my answer is no. However, if you have the mechanical filter in place and kick the DSP CW filter in-line the selectivity is superb! Really fine. Only very strong signals nearby will bother you with both in place (like a good antenna on a 160 meter contest evening, then all bets are off!)

                I recommend you try to get the IF filter and enjoy the fine results.

                Clark
                WA3JPG