RE: [FT897] Re: CAT problem AAAAHHHHH! Update

  • Robert Tuck
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 31, 2010
      I purchased the ADMS-4BU Yaesu control software with the USB interface. It
      works perfectly with my Toshiba laptop. The software lets me load/save the
      radio information. The USB cable works great with Ham Radio Deluxe CAT
      control. The program and cable was $50 at HRO.

      I have used this through the rear CAT jack and through an homemade adapter
      for the CAT function on the mic jack.

      I use a SignalLink USB for the signal interface and a FoxDelta USB Rotator
      controller.

      I run these USB items through a powered USB hub to reduce the load on my
      computer.

      Robert

      AB4RT

      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 31, 2010
        I'm coming into this discussion late (and have not read the entire
        thread), but note that there is a significant discussion on the "Ham
        Radio Deluxe" web site forums, about certain USB-to-serial converter
        (ie, those with "Prolific" brand chips) not working well with Windows
        64-bit systems. I had the same problem (with both HRD and Icom
        software), and when I used a true serial port, the problems when away.

        Note that the "Prolific" converter chip is very popular, and is in many
        manufacturer's products. Note also Icom apparently uses the "FTDI"
        brand of converter chip, which has a better reputation for reliability.

        -- Dean / AE7Q

        On 2010-07-31 19:41, harry latterman wrote:
        > This problem is common with all the software that I listed last time and in ALL case I never hit the xmit button. The USB to serial to CT-62 cable is plugged directly into the FT-897 CAT port. Two different manuf. USB to serial converters and 3 USB drivers have been tested. An no apparent serial handshaking for Cloning so the FTBasicMM memory manger can not sync up.
        >
        > So this time no leaky RF just random drop if com port. Thanks anyway
        >
        > 73
        > Harry K7ZOV

      • taxman651
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 1, 2010
          I just bought a serial CT-62 cable on Ebay and run it through a serial to USB converter I had lying around. I set menu item 29 to "CAT" (I may have the menu item # wrong), and had to tweak the assigned Com port in device manager to match up to the one I had set in my logging program. At first the radio wasn't recognized. So I stepped down the serial port baud rate from 9600 to 4800 and wah lah, its works fine. I'm wondering if your problem my be related to the baud rate?

          Bob
          K1tax
          --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, harry latterman <harrylatterman@...> wrote:

          > Thank you for the feedback. My problem is a bit subtle. All of my computer (2-acer-one netbooks, Toshiba laptop and HP desktop) all have USB but no DB-9 port. So all serial com has to be run through converters. I have the one that came with my VX-3R software and the Gigaware that RS now stocks. It was recommended that I down load a driver called PL2303 for the XP and I did. I removed the RS driver and low and behold the driver recognized the product and listed as such.
          >
          > But no luck. I can not get the FTbasicMM to force the radio into clone mod, thus the software I paid for, for memory management, has been a waste of money. I can get HRD and Virtual Radio to load and run but both randomly drop out. Basically the FT-897 CAT port looses it. Same for FTBCAT. That one sometime syncs and runs ... then also stops.
          >
          > The only thing I have not tried is to dig up a old PC that still has serial ports and give it a try.  I never, ever had this problem with any radios I have owned and traded i.e. FT-817, IC-703, 706, 817, FT-450, IC-756 to name a few. All I can say is the FT-897/D with filters, DSP, internal PS and LDG tuner is a great fun package. But using the CAT port totally sucks. I am glad that it is my knock around radio, and not my serious one. I'll stick with my IC-7200 and it's no brainer interface. One cheap USB A/B cable. Free download software and fully operations HRD, FLDigi, Digipan, etc in 30 minutes or less. NOT ONE CAT PROBLEM... EVER... So far my feeling is the FT-987 CAT design stinks.... BTW I did build two other different CAT ciruits with good RS-232 levels and they did not work either.
          >
          > So maybe I have to pick up a 10 yr old laptop with BD-9.... but then again I probably will stick with ICOM unless someone can come up with a fix. Anyone have any other suggestions?????
          >
          > Thank you again
          >
          > 73
          > Harry K7ZOV

        • Alan E. Lutz
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 1, 2010
            Bob,

            Another question. How did you set the flow control? DTR or RTS?

            Thnx,
            73 de Alan
            AE1NH

            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 1, 2010
              I set them every combination possible. I did discover that my RS Gigaware converter is a Prolfic design and my RTS-03 is a FTDI design...so much with both being the same. They both work the same. HRD and Virtual Radio work then drop out no matter what setting I use, and FTBasicMM will not push the radio into clone mod so I can not do any memory management. I love the radio is all way...but this CAT thing is really pissing me off....

              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 1, 2010
                Set to CAT, used all three baud rates. Now set for 4800. I have both converter designs. That is One is Proflic and the other is FTDI. I also went on line and found the latest drivers for both. NO luck. I am running XP home with SP3 and all 3 computers. (Desktop, Netbook, Dual-Core Toshiba Laptop). No luck...HRD runs for 2 to 10 minute (no xmit ever) then drops out. FTBaicMM memory manager will NOT go into clone so no memory management. Radio had full rest also and all fucntions are 100%. AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!

              • davekh@cix.co.uk
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 2, 2010
                  Harry
                  If everything in the radio is ok, if the settings for the serial/usb converter is ok and if the driver software is ok -
                  all of which looks like they are from what you have said - it sounds like some other program might be using that virtual
                  com port and still running while you think its not - or just still running?

                  Is there anything else running - like a weather station or something you have on all your systems that you think might
                  have need to talk to the USB port or the USB/Serial port?

                  Perhaps look in the tast manager to see if anything you think isn't running - may still be?

                  73s Dave H
                  G0CER / KJ4QAO

                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 2, 2010
                    Using FTBCat v 2.0.7 and HRD (latest ver) I have both RTS and DTR checked, although both programs work fine with just RTS.

                    --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, harry latterman <harrylatterman@...> wrote:

                    > I set them every combination possible. I did discover that my RS Gigaware converter is a Prolfic design and my RTS-03 is a FTDI design...so much with both being the same. They both work the same. HRD and Virtual Radio work then drop out no matter what setting I use, and FTBasicMM will not push the radio into clone mod so I can not do any memory management. I love the radio is all way...but this CAT thing is really pissing me off....

                  • William
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 2, 2010
                      Sounds like you have HRD working .. and then after 5-10 minutes you lose the COM port connection. I assume you are not running any other programs -- or trying to run FTBaic at same time as HRD -- and have the PC firewalls etc turned off.

                      Since this happens on all 3 PC's it appears your issue is with the CT62 cable and not with any radio or PC menu settings: most probably the cable is defective or not seated properly in the radio port.

                      I have an older CT62 cable (square rubber connector) and had to shave it with a razor into the proper round condition to get a good fit.

                      Sorry; I have no knowledge about FTBaic program. It's not clear what you mean by 'no transmit ever' -- hopefully you are not trying to get the CT62 to act as a TX/data-port cable.

                      Hope you get it working. My 897 has been flawless with 897/AT897 combo for years.

                      Bill W1WAB

                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 2, 2010
                        I have to agree....sounds like a cable issue.

                        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "William" <wabarron@...> wrote:

                        > Sounds like you have HRD working .. and then after 5-10 minutes you lose the COM port connection. I assume you are not running any other programs -- or trying to run FTBaic at same time as HRD -- and have the PC firewalls etc turned off.
                        >
                        > Since this happens on all 3 PC's it appears your issue is with the CT62 cable and not with any radio or PC menu settings: most probably the cable is defective or not seated properly in the radio port.
                        >
                        > I have an older CT62 cable (square rubber connector) and had to shave it with a razor into the proper round condition to get a good fit.
                        >
                        > Sorry; I have no knowledge about FTBaic program. It's not clear what you mean by 'no transmit ever' -- hopefully you are not trying to get the CT62 to act as a TX/data-port cable.
                        >
                        > Hope you get it working. My 897 has been flawless with 897/AT897 combo for years.
                        >
                        > Bill W1WAB
                        >

                        > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, harry latterman <harrylatterman@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Set to CAT, used all three baud rates. Now set for 4800. I have both converter designs. That is One is Proflic and the other is FTDI. I also went on line and found the latest drivers for both. NO luck. I am running XP home with SP3 and all 3 computers. (Desktop, Netbook, Dual-Core Toshiba Laptop). No luck...HRD runs for 2 to 10 minute (no xmit ever) then drops out. FTBaicMM memory manager will NOT go into clone so no memory management. Radio had full rest also and all fucntions are 100%. AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!

                      • David Richardson
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 2, 2010
                          For what it's worth, I have problems with XP SP3 when attempting to add USB
                          devices to my Lenovo which have not passed the 'Windows Logo Testing"(eg. my old
                          Headset or old WebCam).  Microsoft advise that the system may become unstable if
                          I proceed with the installation.

                          So I installed the USB's anyway a couple of times to see what would happen.
                          Although my HRD runs from a DB9 seial port at 4800 baud, it still crashes after
                          a while and sometimes the computer crashes as well!

                          These devices work fine with XP SP2 on two other machines.

                          Fortunately, doing a System Restore returned everything to normal........

                          73,  David, VH3BDK