Re: Need help with Antenna selection

  • brian_forney
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 2, 2010
      Given that you don't know what kind of operating interests you (VHF or HF, voice or digital, etc.) and you will also have to operate in temporary mode from your home, your timing could not be better.

      ARRL Field Day is 6/26 - 6/27. This would be a great opportunity for you to see some temporary antennas in use and to see / try out for yourself different modes. Granted, some of the antennas will be 'temporary' massive structures that would be much too big for your situation but if your local group is very large you could also get a chance to see some of the smaller portable antennas that have been discussed here set up in the field --- just like you will be operating at home each day in your situation (no ground rods, massive towers, etc.)

      If nothing else, it would be a great hands on opportunity for you to get on the air in different modes without having to figure out / buy all of that equipment yourself. You would also have access to talk to local hams for an entire weekend. Some of them may have a buddipole or two laying around in the attic from thier pre-tower days that they could lend you. You might also be surprised how many of them have past experience with situation similar to what you are facing now.

      Get a hold of your local club(s) and see what they are doing for Field Day. Go hang out with them, observe antennas and get on the air. After Field Day you would be better positioned to make the decisions you are facing.

      73,
      Brian K7TKT
    • Wayne Chilcote
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 2, 2010
        I've heard good things about the CCD antennas http://www.ccdantennas.com/CCD/
        I don't have one yet, but they're supposed to be able to run along eaves, fences, etc.  They're for 80M-40M-20M, single or 2-band models.

        Wayne K7WAY

        "Love All Beings, That is Enough."
                                     That doesn't mean you necessarily trust them.

      • ve7xpk
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 2, 2010
          Hi Bryan:

          Congrats on getting licensed.

          I have much the same situation as you and have found several solutions.

          -BuddiPole -> see http://buddipole.com
          -Par End-Fedz antennas -> see http://www.parelectronics.com/index.php
          -I'm in the process of checking out my nice aluminum rain gutters. I'll be joining them all together with invisible strapping to avoid discontinuities between gutter segments.
          -Use either an RF ground (see ARRL yearbook) or an MFJ Artificial Ground to avoid RF in the shack.

          All of this stuff can go up and down in a jiffy.

          Best of luck.

          Paul
          VE7XPK

          --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "ice_berg_" <iceberg@...> wrote:

          > My main issue with where I currently am is that it was hard enough getting them to agree to the grounding rod. I have considered trying to get them to allow a flag pole and try a flag pole antenna.
          >
          > .....at the end of the session that would be great. If I can also get something to do a few bands to experiment with that would also be great.
          >

          > Bryan
          > KB9YEN

        • Steve
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 2, 2010
            Bryan,
            Have a look at a site like s9antennas.com, I tend to rool my own but this site can make it rather easy if you have the bucks for the 32 foot or the 45 foot version.
            I pounded in a galv pipe next to some small palms went to the local Lowes and found a small decorative fiberglass "fake" rock that sits over the pipe found some low cost green electrical wire and slit it into the grass used some pipe hanger strap to the pipe.
            Electrical conduit clamps with wing nuts attach the vertical ro the pipe and I use a 4:1 going to a LDG tuner.
            Everything is up and running in less the five min and when I take it down and cove with the rock no one has seen it in over a year.
            if you have lawn maint drive some tent nail into the rock when they come around.
            Regards.
            AB2ET/4

            --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "ice_berg_" <iceberg@...> wrote:

            > My main issue with where I currently am is that it was hard enough getting them to agree to the grounding rod. I have considered trying to get them to allow a flag pole and try a flag pole antenna.
            >
            > Like I mentioned I just passed the test so I I have my CSCE but the FCC db hasn't even been updated yet. So my experiences with HF are minimal. We have a ham group here but most of them have not had to deal with the restrictions I do, so their advice was minimal.
            >
            > At this point I do not know what bands I will want to work. Right now I just have to look for a system that can be taken down at the end of the day with no trace that it was ever there. If there is a good way to set up a vertical without having to pour concrete or pounding a post into the ground where I can take the antenna down and inside at the end of the session that would be great. If I can also get something to do a few bands to experiment with that would also be great.
            >

            > Bryan
            > KB9YEN

          • traburgess1945
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 10, 2010
              --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "ice_berg_" <ice_berg_@...> wrote:

              > I just passed the general test, and will be buying an 897D setup in the next week or two (waiting on a contract check). Where I live I can not have a tower so I was looking at something like a buddipole but I thought I would ask around and see what types of input I could get. Whatever it is it has to be able to be taken down when not in use or when the owner of the property requests (ie maintenance on the property etc, they just don't want a semi/permeant feature)
              >
              > The setup I will be purchasing is the 897D, the LDG 200 memory auto tuner, FP-30 for base station use.
              >
              > Comments are very welcome but mostly Im looking for what I can do about the antenna situation, there isn't room here to erect a 1/2 wave dipole for most of the HF bands.

              I will be taking my Technician test and have been researching equipment quite a bit. One little antenna system I plan on investing in is the MFJ Mini-dipole (http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Search.php?searchit=HF+Sticks ). The price is right.
              Depending on how you set it up, dipoles can be used horizontal or vertical. In vertical mode, just make sure the "hot" side is up. In the bad old days some 35 years ago, I was playing with 11 meter antennas and had wire strung all over my shack (back bedroom). Did not please the ex-XYL very much.
            • traburgess1945
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 10, 2010
                --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "ice_berg_" <ice_berg_@...> wrote:

                > I just passed the general test, and will be buying an 897D setup in the next week or two (waiting on a contract check). Where I live I can not have a tower so I was looking at something like a buddipole but I thought I would ask around and see what types of input I could get. Whatever it is it has to be able to be taken down when not in use or when the owner of the property requests (ie maintenance on the property etc, they just don't want a semi/permeant feature)
                >
                > The setup I will be purchasing is the 897D, the LDG 200 memory auto tuner, FP-30 for base station use.
                >
                > Comments are very welcome but mostly Im looking for what I can do about the antenna situation, there isn't room here to erect a 1/2 wave dipole for most of the HF bands.

                I will be taking my Technician test and have been researching equipment quite a bit. One little antenna system I plan on investing in is the MFJ Mini-dipole (http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Search.php?searchit=HF+Sticks ). The price is right.
                Depending on how you set it up, dipoles can be used horizontal or vertical. In vertical mode, just make sure the "hot" side is up. In the bad old days some 35 years ago, I was playing with 11 meter antennas and had wire strung all over my shack (back bedroom). Did not please the ex-XYL very much.
              • ice_berg_
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 13, 2010
                  The bigger problem is the post you have to mount in the ground. Basically if I cant pick it up and take it in at the end of the day, I can't use it. If there were enough space I would just use two tripod/mast and set up a dipole but nowhere near that kind of room here.

                  I looked at some yagi and log antenna but most don't look like they would hold up well on a tripod mast.

                  Bryan
                  KB9YEN

                  --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Alan E. Lutz" <lutz48@...> wrote:

                  > This is a nice antenna at a great price, but IMO the radials may pose a problem with his landlord.
                  >
                  > 73 de Alan
                  > AE1NH

                • Graeme
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 13, 2010
                    Gday Alan.
                    I assume you mean by "pick it up and take it in at the end of the day" you are operating portable. Based on that what I do when portable is use a 30 foot squid pole held up by a steel spike in the ground. I run a SGC SG211 (good for 60 watts) that transmits into a length of 30 foot of wire held up by the squid pole. Does all I want or need and I can pack it up at the end of the day.

                    Graeme vk4rd

                  • Kris
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 13, 2010
                      I have been using an Outbacker OB8 mounted on an Outpost base for portable HF. It is of course a vertical antenna which cuts down on close in contacts, but has worked extremely well for me, especially Field Day.

                      Kris