Need help with Antenna selection

  • ice_berg_
    Message 1 of 27 , May 31, 2010
      I just passed the general test, and will be buying an 897D setup in the next week or two (waiting on a contract check). Where I live I can not have a tower so I was looking at something like a buddipole but I thought I would ask around and see what types of input I could get. Whatever it is it has to be able to be taken down when not in use or when the owner of the property requests (ie maintenance on the property etc, they just don't want a semi/permeant feature)

      The setup I will be purchasing is the 897D, the LDG 200 memory auto tuner, FP-30 for base station use.

      Comments are very welcome but mostly Im looking for what I can do about the antenna situation, there isn't room here to erect a 1/2 wave dipole for most of the HF bands.
    • Alan E. Lutz
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 1 6:23 AM
        Before you lay down your money for the tuner, take a look at the LDG AT-100 Pro II.  I have had one since they were released in March.  I am very happy with it.

        Also, I use a G5RV variant and have had quite good luck with it.  If you put it u[ with pulleys, it may satisfy your landlord's requirements.

        73 de Alan

        AE1NH

        I just passed the general test, and will be buying an 897D setup in the next week or two (waiting on a contract check). Where I live I can not have a tower so I was looking at something like a buddipole but I thought I would ask around and see what types of input I could get. Whatever it is it has to be able to be taken down when not in use or when the owner of the property requests (ie maintenance on the property etc, they just don't want a semi/permeant feature)

        The setup I will be purchasing is the 897D, the LDG 200 memory auto tuner, FP-30 for base station use.

        Comments are very welcome but mostly Im looking for what I can do about the antenna situation, there isn't room here to erect a 1/2 wave dipole for most of the HF bands.

      • Patrick
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 1 6:24 AM
          http://www.s9antennas.com/index.html

          On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 7:47 PM, ice_berg_ <ice_berg_@...> wrote:

          > I just passed the general test, and will be buying an 897D setup in the
          > next week or two (waiting on a contract check). Where I live I can not have
          > a tower so I was looking at something like a buddipole but I thought I would
          > ask around and see what types of input I could get. Whatever it is it has to
          > be able to be taken down when not in use or when the owner of the property
          > requests (ie maintenance on the property etc, they just don't want a
          > semi/permeant feature)
          >
          > The setup I will be purchasing is the 897D, the LDG 200 memory auto tuner,
          > FP-30 for base station use.
          >
          > Comments are very welcome but mostly Im looking for what I can do about the
          > antenna situation, there isn't room here to erect a 1/2 wave dipole for most
          > of the HF bands.

        • Alan E. Lutz
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 1 6:35 AM
            This is a nice antenna at a great price, but IMO the radials may pose a problem with his landlord.

            73 de Alan
            AE1NH

            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 1 7:18 AM
              You just might want to consider a Par Electronics Endfedz antenna. They
              make them in several different bands. Some of the shorter antennas, 17, 15,
              10 meters could easily be stretched across a short room or hung over a
              balcony, inverted L style and work just fine. Take a look at the Eham reviews
              under Wire Antennas.

              I also use the AT 200 pro and it works great.

              Good Luck
              Chuck
              K4grp

            • Richard Drevo
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 1 12:11 PM
                Patrick,

                How much yard space do you have; length, width, etc. ?
                Are there any trees, etc. that you can use as supports ?
                Are you resticted to an indoor "attic type" antenna ?
                Can you put something up that is verical

                Personally, I would not recommend a "buddy pole" , but that is my own
                preference.

                73es,
                Dick Drevo, W3GNQ

                > I just passed the general test, and will be buying an 897D setup in
                > the next week or two (waiting on a contract check). Where I live I can
                > not have a tower so I was looking at something like a buddipole but I
                > thought I would ask around and see what types of input I could get.
                > Whatever it is it has to be able to be taken down when not in use or
                > when the owner of the property requests (ie maintenance on the
                > property etc, they just don't want a semi/permeant feature)
                >
                > The setup I will be purchasing is the 897D, the LDG 200 memory auto
                > tuner, FP-30 for base station use.
                >
                > Comments are very welcome but mostly Im looking for what I can do
                > about the antenna situation, there isn't room here to erect a 1/2 wave
                > dipole for most of the HF bands.

              • Joe
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 1 12:23 PM
                  Just out of curiosity, Richard, why do you not recommend a Buddipole?

                  Joe Wolfe
                  WA6RKN
                  Reno, Nevada

                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 1 12:42 PM
                    Well I do not have, much space, but i do have is a carport, covered with
                    corrugated aluminum. I mounted the S9 vertical, in the middle of the roof. I
                    grounded it to the roof. I have about 25-30 feet all around, working as a
                    counter-poise. As for the performance......it's incredible. Best antenna I
                    ever had installed, next to my Cushcraft A3S tribander. Iv'e been able to
                    work alot of DX with it. Just my 2 cents.

                    Patrick KI8UM

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 1 1:17 PM
                      Joe,

                      One of my friends has a buddy pole antenna and we simply have not had a good
                      experience/s with it. It probably meets all of its published specifications.
                      However, for the money invested, he probably could put up a more
                      electrically efficient and less expensive antenna. That is all that was
                      meant by my comment. (Possibly, he is in such a restricted area, the buddy
                      pole antenna might be his only solution.)

                      73es,
                      Dick, W3GNQ

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 1 1:50 PM
                        I think the first thing that has to be established are what bands do you
                        plan on working on. The more bands you want quite often the more
                        compromises you have to make in performance. The more portable it is
                        the more compromises you have to make. Remember that the radiating
                        element is only half the antenna, you need a counterpoise for the RF to
                        "push off" of.

                        Also remember that the closer to the ground the more it will be NVIS and
                        the higher up the more DX it will be. The general rule of thumb that I
                        have heard is typically at 1/4 wavelength is the threshold to go from
                        NVIS to DX, so if you want 20 meters you have to be at least 5 meters
                        off the ground to go from NVIS to DX. There are other factors that come
                        into play, but that is the general starting point.

                        The other thing to consider is the larger the antenna the better it will
                        work (to a point). Antennas that are more compact generally do not work
                        as well as antennas that are "full size".

                        There is the ATAS-120 which is an auto tuning antenna. I have mounted
                        one on a tripod and made radials for it. I spread them out and it makes
                        for a portable setup. It even stores away in a small package when not
                        in use. This is not ideal but it is better than the manual "portable"
                        ATAS antenna.

                        The radials attach to a metal plate via wingnuts. Someone else did
                        something similar and they have photos at
                        http://www.ae7q.net/doc/public/ATAS-120.php

                        The downside is that the ATAS-120 will only do a few bands, there is
                        another brand of auto tuning antenna that does more (which I only found
                        out about after getting the ATAS).

                        You can do a long wire with a tuner, but again performance is not as
                        optimal as a properly tuned antenna. I have used a Z11 pro from LDG and
                        a balun with good results. You could use a dipole with this, even
                        something like a "lazy-h" tuned for some band that will lend itself to
                        reasonable performance on other bands. People have run 200w on a fairly
                        small gauge of wire, although if you really want to do this right you
                        might want to use copperweld or similar (copper jacketed steel wire) to
                        prevent stretching which changes the SWR over time. If the wind can
                        whip the antenna around you may notice some problems making contact with
                        weak stations so having the antenna secured taught might be a good
                        design consideration.

                        Wire antennas like that are often easy to hide, which means almost no
                        one asks you to take it down because they just dont associate a small
                        wire wrapped around the eaves of the house as an antenna, especially if
                        it blends in well in terms of color. YMMV.
                      • Charles Scott
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 1 2:16 PM
                          On 6/1/2010 4:50 PM, Bret McDanel wrote:
                          > Also remember that the closer to the ground the more it will be NVIS and
                          > the higher up the more DX it will be. The general rule of thumb that I
                          > have heard is typically at 1/4 wavelength is the threshold to go from
                          > NVIS to DX, so if you want 20 meters you have to be at least 5 meters
                          > off the ground to go from NVIS to DX. There are other factors that come
                          > into play, but that is the general starting point.

                          Bret:

                          Minor point of clarification for some who may not be aware. The above
                          statement really only applies to horizontal antennas. Vertical antennas
                          typically favor a low angle even if they are ground mounted and will not
                          favor NVIS regardless of how high or low they are.

                          Perhaps the other point is that this is all kind of a continuum. There
                          is no real cut-off point above or below which you do or don't have NVIS.
                          As such, you can at times work DX well on a low antenna even though it
                          may be some 10 or 20 dB down at lower angles and similarly you can at
                          times work NVIS on high antennas.

                          Also, if anyone's not familiar with NVIS, you might want to take a few
                          minutes to search around the Internet for info. Here's one link below.
                          NVIS is not particularly intuitive to people who typically work DX on
                          higher antennas, verticals, or beams, so it's worth reading up on it.

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_Vertical_Incidence_Skywave

                          Chuck - N8DNX
                        • Chip G.
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 1 2:18 PM
                            There is a learning curve to the Buddipole. It's not tough, but some folks have trouble until the 'figure it out.' There is a Buddipole group you can join for advice, or I will be happy to answer questions off this list. The Buddipole is one of the best portable antenna systems around.

                            -- Chip - n1mie

                          • ke4grp@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 1 2:35 PM
                              Hi, group. I forgot to mention the Buddipole. I have one of those as well,
                              and use it when we go to the beach. It is perfect for a balcony situation.
                              However, if you have the room, the Par Electronics just works better.

                              Chuck
                              K4GRP

                            • Brian Forney
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 1 3:44 PM
                                I live in a CCR area so I've had to make some antenna compromises. It's a
                                bit spendy but just so you have another option you might want to check out
                                vertical dipoles (no ground radials needed) from either Force 12 or Trans
                                World. They are only 9' or so tall and work sitting on the ground.

                                I have the Trans World Antenna "Backpacker" and have been quite happy with
                                it. It comes with a stand and is very easy to put up/tear down. My local
                                geography is not great for HF (I live in a hollow-everything nearby is
                                uphill from me) but it lets me make plenty of domestic contacts as well as
                                some international. Taken out in the field and set up in the clear on high
                                ground it really shines.

                                As someone else said, be sure to consider what band(s) you want before
                                purchasing. The multi-band vertical dipoles tend to be 5 band 10-20m units.
                                As a final note, perhaps you could borrow some portable antennas from
                                someone in your local club. This way you could get a feel for what a
                                buddipole set up or some of the other options would do from the spot you
                                have to work with. It's good to get as much of the trial and error as you
                                can completed before you start to spend real money.

                                73,

                                Brian K7TKT

                              • ice_berg_
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jun 1 4:26 PM
                                  My main issue with where I currently am is that it was hard enough getting them to agree to the grounding rod. I have considered trying to get them to allow a flag pole and try a flag pole antenna.

                                  Like I mentioned I just passed the test so I I have my CSCE but the FCC db hasn't even been updated yet. So my experiences with HF are minimal. We have a ham group here but most of them have not had to deal with the restrictions I do, so their advice was minimal.

                                  At this point I do not know what bands I will want to work. Right now I just have to look for a system that can be taken down at the end of the day with no trace that it was ever there. If there is a good way to set up a vertical without having to pour concrete or pounding a post into the ground where I can take the antenna down and inside at the end of the session that would be great. If I can also get something to do a few bands to experiment with that would also be great.

                                  Bryan
                                  KB9YEN
                                • josedouglas@yahoo.com
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jun 1 10:32 PM
                                    We have a Par Endfedz 6 metre antenna; signals are coming in (and out) but weak, with a lot of noise on FM.
                                    Good friend has some for other bands as well and those seem to work fine.
                                    73s

                                    Jose Douglas
                                    KB1TCD

                                    ________________________________

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jun 2 3:36 AM
                                      Hi Bryan,

                                      Take a look here:

                                      http://transworldantennas.com/

                                      I don't have one yet, but many people seem to think very highly of this
                                      antenna. Since it folds up into a small package, does not use ground rods or
                                      radials, and isn't too large it might be a solution to your problem. Take a
                                      look at the e-ham reviews of it too.

                                      73
                                      Ted
                                      W1GRI

                                      _____

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jun 2 4:00 AM
                                        The End-Fedz are good antennas, but are rated by the vendor as single band only. I know one person who used his multi-band, but he could never figure out why he wasn't getting good results on the other bands.

                                        The Buddipole is a great portable antenna -- easy to put up/take down. Remember though that in the dipole configuration, V, and inverted V, it's very much NVIS because it's down low to the ground (which would explain one of the other posters was unhappy with his). As a vertical with counterpoise, L, or vertical dipole, the Buddipole does an excellent job of DXing. Same for the Buddistick and the MP-1 antennas, which are just verticals with a counterpoise.

                                        Many people have very good results with a random length wire and a tuner. There are all sorts of stories around the net of people who have put up very thin random length wires that are practically invisible. As a horizontal, if it's high enough, it'll have good DX results.

                                        Something similar is the inverted L. Here's a link to an article on dxzone. http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=19969

                                        Check out the TAK-tenna (http://www.tak-tenna.com). Crazy thing, but I've had good results with it, especially as a vertical. It's a single band antenna, but can be loaded on other bands. Put a balun near the shack and run ladder line out to the antenna and it'll do well on multiple bands.

                                        I know people who have put things like the Alpha Delta DX-EE antennas in their attics and managed WAS and DXCC.

                                        By the way, someone mentioned not having very much luck with a horizontal wire antenna on FM. Most people use verticals on FM, and the difference between vertical polarization and horizontal polarization is VERY noticeable at VHF and UHF frequencies. I can see a 40+ DB difference between having my antenna vertical and having it horizontal in 2 meter FM operations.

                                        Jon
                                        KB1QBZ

                                        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "ice_berg_" <ice_berg_@...> wrote:

                                        > I just passed the general test, and will be buying an 897D setup in the next week or two (waiting on a contract check). Where I live I can not have a tower so I was looking at something like a buddipole but I thought I would ask around and see what types of input I could get. Whatever it is it has to be able to be taken down when not in use or when the owner of the property requests (ie maintenance on the property etc, they just don't want a semi/permeant feature)
                                        >
                                        > The setup I will be purchasing is the 897D, the LDG 200 memory auto tuner, FP-30 for base station use.
                                        >
                                        > Comments are very welcome but mostly Im looking for what I can do about the antenna situation, there isn't room here to erect a 1/2 wave dipole for most of the HF bands.

                                      • brian_forney
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jun 2 4:42 AM
                                          Given that you don't know what kind of operating interests you (VHF or HF, voice or digital, etc.) and you will also have to operate in temporary mode from your home, your timing could not be better.

                                          ARRL Field Day is 6/26 - 6/27. This would be a great opportunity for you to see some temporary antennas in use and to see / try out for yourself different modes. Granted, some of the antennas will be 'temporary' massive structures that would be much too big for your situation but if your local group is very large you could also get a chance to see some of the smaller portable antennas that have been discussed here set up in the field --- just like you will be operating at home each day in your situation (no ground rods, massive towers, etc.)

                                          If nothing else, it would be a great hands on opportunity for you to get on the air in different modes without having to figure out / buy all of that equipment yourself. You would also have access to talk to local hams for an entire weekend. Some of them may have a buddipole or two laying around in the attic from thier pre-tower days that they could lend you. You might also be surprised how many of them have past experience with situation similar to what you are facing now.

                                          Get a hold of your local club(s) and see what they are doing for Field Day. Go hang out with them, observe antennas and get on the air. After Field Day you would be better positioned to make the decisions you are facing.

                                          73,
                                          Brian K7TKT
                                        • Wayne Chilcote
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jun 2 5:07 AM
                                            I've heard good things about the CCD antennas http://www.ccdantennas.com/CCD/
                                            I don't have one yet, but they're supposed to be able to run along eaves, fences, etc.  They're for 80M-40M-20M, single or 2-band models.

                                            Wayne K7WAY

                                            "Love All Beings, That is Enough."
                                                                         That doesn't mean you necessarily trust them.

                                          • ve7xpk
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jun 2 8:54 AM
                                              Hi Bryan:

                                              Congrats on getting licensed.

                                              I have much the same situation as you and have found several solutions.

                                              -BuddiPole -> see http://buddipole.com
                                              -Par End-Fedz antennas -> see http://www.parelectronics.com/index.php
                                              -I'm in the process of checking out my nice aluminum rain gutters. I'll be joining them all together with invisible strapping to avoid discontinuities between gutter segments.
                                              -Use either an RF ground (see ARRL yearbook) or an MFJ Artificial Ground to avoid RF in the shack.

                                              All of this stuff can go up and down in a jiffy.

                                              Best of luck.

                                              Paul
                                              VE7XPK

                                              --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "ice_berg_" <iceberg@...> wrote:

                                              > My main issue with where I currently am is that it was hard enough getting them to agree to the grounding rod. I have considered trying to get them to allow a flag pole and try a flag pole antenna.
                                              >
                                              > .....at the end of the session that would be great. If I can also get something to do a few bands to experiment with that would also be great.
                                              >

                                              > Bryan
                                              > KB9YEN

                                            • Steve
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jun 2 12:56 PM
                                                Bryan,
                                                Have a look at a site like s9antennas.com, I tend to rool my own but this site can make it rather easy if you have the bucks for the 32 foot or the 45 foot version.
                                                I pounded in a galv pipe next to some small palms went to the local Lowes and found a small decorative fiberglass "fake" rock that sits over the pipe found some low cost green electrical wire and slit it into the grass used some pipe hanger strap to the pipe.
                                                Electrical conduit clamps with wing nuts attach the vertical ro the pipe and I use a 4:1 going to a LDG tuner.
                                                Everything is up and running in less the five min and when I take it down and cove with the rock no one has seen it in over a year.
                                                if you have lawn maint drive some tent nail into the rock when they come around.
                                                Regards.
                                                AB2ET/4

                                                --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "ice_berg_" <iceberg@...> wrote:

                                                > My main issue with where I currently am is that it was hard enough getting them to agree to the grounding rod. I have considered trying to get them to allow a flag pole and try a flag pole antenna.
                                                >
                                                > Like I mentioned I just passed the test so I I have my CSCE but the FCC db hasn't even been updated yet. So my experiences with HF are minimal. We have a ham group here but most of them have not had to deal with the restrictions I do, so their advice was minimal.
                                                >
                                                > At this point I do not know what bands I will want to work. Right now I just have to look for a system that can be taken down at the end of the day with no trace that it was ever there. If there is a good way to set up a vertical without having to pour concrete or pounding a post into the ground where I can take the antenna down and inside at the end of the session that would be great. If I can also get something to do a few bands to experiment with that would also be great.
                                                >

                                                > Bryan
                                                > KB9YEN

                                              • traburgess1945
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jun 10 6:44 PM
                                                  --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "ice_berg_" <ice_berg_@...> wrote:

                                                  > I just passed the general test, and will be buying an 897D setup in the next week or two (waiting on a contract check). Where I live I can not have a tower so I was looking at something like a buddipole but I thought I would ask around and see what types of input I could get. Whatever it is it has to be able to be taken down when not in use or when the owner of the property requests (ie maintenance on the property etc, they just don't want a semi/permeant feature)
                                                  >
                                                  > The setup I will be purchasing is the 897D, the LDG 200 memory auto tuner, FP-30 for base station use.
                                                  >
                                                  > Comments are very welcome but mostly Im looking for what I can do about the antenna situation, there isn't room here to erect a 1/2 wave dipole for most of the HF bands.

                                                  I will be taking my Technician test and have been researching equipment quite a bit. One little antenna system I plan on investing in is the MFJ Mini-dipole (http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Search.php?searchit=HF+Sticks ). The price is right.
                                                  Depending on how you set it up, dipoles can be used horizontal or vertical. In vertical mode, just make sure the "hot" side is up. In the bad old days some 35 years ago, I was playing with 11 meter antennas and had wire strung all over my shack (back bedroom). Did not please the ex-XYL very much.
                                                • traburgess1945
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Jun 10 6:44 PM

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Jun 13 1:49 PM
                                                      The bigger problem is the post you have to mount in the ground. Basically if I cant pick it up and take it in at the end of the day, I can't use it. If there were enough space I would just use two tripod/mast and set up a dipole but nowhere near that kind of room here.

                                                      I looked at some yagi and log antenna but most don't look like they would hold up well on a tripod mast.

                                                      Bryan
                                                      KB9YEN

                                                      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Alan E. Lutz" <lutz48@...> wrote:

                                                      > This is a nice antenna at a great price, but IMO the radials may pose a problem with his landlord.
                                                      >
                                                      > 73 de Alan
                                                      > AE1NH

                                                    • Graeme
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Jun 13 2:00 PM
                                                        Gday Alan.
                                                        I assume you mean by "pick it up and take it in at the end of the day" you are operating portable. Based on that what I do when portable is use a 30 foot squid pole held up by a steel spike in the ground. I run a SGC SG211 (good for 60 watts) that transmits into a length of 30 foot of wire held up by the squid pole. Does all I want or need and I can pack it up at the end of the day.

                                                        Graeme vk4rd

                                                      • Kris
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Jun 13 5:10 PM
                                                          I have been using an Outbacker OB8 mounted on an Outpost base for portable HF. It is of course a vertical antenna which cuts down on close in contacts, but has worked extremely well for me, especially Field Day.

                                                          Kris