Re: [FT897] QUESTION on ft 897D

  • DALE
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2010
      Check here first before doing anything.
      http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/mics/2470.html

      Dale

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "n5iz" <raybrmly@...>
      To: FT897@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, May 31, 2010 3:23:45 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
      Subject: [FT897] QUESTION on ft 897D

      my question is. are anyone useing a sm 6 mic on the ft 897D and if so...how.i want to hook one up to my radio.but my understanding the electet need dc voltage.i only have 4 wires from mic.for mic/ptt and the grounds.should'nt it be 5 wires coming out of mic.any help..
      73 ray n5iz

    • Steve Yates
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2010
        Ray,

        I have a SM-5 wired for my FT-897D. However, I had to modify the microphone to work with it though. I believe the SM-5 is just an older version of the SM-6. They look alike. Two things are a problem:

        1. The SM-5 requires DC voltage on the mic audio line. The FT-897D breaks these out to two different lines.
        2. The SM-5's audio gain is WAY too high for the FT-897D

        I had to decouple the mic audio line with a capacitor. Supply the DC via a resistor to the SM-5's mic line in front of the capacitor. Last but definitely not least, I had to build a resistor PI network attenuator to lower the audio by 20 or 40 dB (can't remember now). When I get home I'll try to find my schematic that I drew up and up load it to the group.

        73,
        Steve - AA5TB

        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "n5iz" <raybrmly@...> wrote:

        > my question is. are anyone useing a sm 6 mic on the ft 897D and if so...how.i want to hook one up to my radio.but my understanding the electet need dc voltage.i only have 4 wires from mic.for mic/ptt and the grounds.should'nt it be 5 wires coming out of mic.any help..
        > 73 ray n5iz

      • Steve Yates
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2010
          Ray,

          Looking at the SM-6 schematic it may be easy to just cut a trace (from R5 to C4) to reroute the DC power and add a small resistive attenuator (3 resistors) in the audio line.

          73,
          Steve - AA5TB