Re: [FT897] [Fwd: FT-817/-857/-897]

  • harry latterman
    Message 1 of 11 , May 3 8:43 AM
      I have had all three. Actually over the years I have had the 817 four times and keep trading up. At this time I don't have one. Maybe someday again, but for now I just got a used 897D and find it to be my best choice. The 857D has problems. because everything is so packed it tends to blow finals. The controls are too tight and the display too small. I traded mine (once yeasu fixed it a second time at $112 each time), for a IC-706 and was much happier. The 817 is one great do most anything radio, but really is a field qrp rig and many times when conditions were bad I really wanted more power. I have always had my eye on theh 897 and finally got one with the LDG tuner attached and the intenal power supply. I think this is by far my best universal radio. 5 watts to 100 watts. No external PS needed. Pull the plug on the back and connect to the car for mobile or to a battery pack for portable operation. HF/UHF/VHF will high and low power. Resonable size for
      much easier display viewing much easier button useage the the 857 or the 817. For me the radio is truly ideal for camping, home, car and emergencies. The 817 beats it for back packing and some outdoor activities, but not by much. Before I would ever recommed the 857 for anything I would suggest a used fully loaded 706MKII or MKIIG. You will be much happier. So that is my 2 cents work....FT-897+ LDG wide range tuner = fun and versatility that is hard to beat.

      73
      Harry K7ZOV

    • Hank
      Message 2 of 11 , May 5 5:09 AM
        After a lot of research and comparison, I chose the FT-897D. The 817 was never an option for me as I don't do backpacking or QRP. Based on that, it had really nothing special to offer. If I did those things, the 817 would be my radio of choice.

        I chose the 897 over the 857 because of size and the option of built-in batteries. I like the size and layout of the 897 over the 857. It is easier for me to see and the controls are spaced out, making it easier to operate. In my case, the rig is a base rig, so I also liked the optional built-in power supply. Plus, living in Hurricane Alley, I like the idea of the optional built-in batteries. With the built-in DSP and TXCO, it has everything I would ever need and more.

        I have had my 897D now for about a year and a half, and I am very happy with it. I bought it with the LDG-897 tuner and the built-in power supply. Since then, I have added the LDG FT-Meter and the Yaesu MD-100A8X desk mic. With a compromise dipole antenna in the attic I am making contacts all over America, Central America, South America, and Europe, all on 50 - 60 watts.

        Hank / KB4MTO

        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Jack <303kk@...> wrote:

        > Group members,
        >
        > All three of these radios look great, but I'd like to know why you chose
        > the one you did, rather than one of the others. Or, whether you would
        > make a different choice in the future, or perhaps you did revise your
        > choice after an initial purchase?
        >
        > Maybe it will make my choice more successful. Just lay it out like you
        > would for someone who cares, 'cause I am getting close to ordering.
        >

        > Jack

      • john_kb0ne
        Message 3 of 11 , May 5 7:10 AM
          For me: the 817 and running QRP on all modes just didn't have any appeal. (Around here that turns out to be a good deciding factor, especially on V/UHF FM repeaters.)

          The 857 looked way too SI-FI with the cluster of push buttons around the tuning knob and general faceplate layout.

          The 897 appealed to me because, for me, it looked like a ham radio oughtta look.... still, it has lots of buttons but I figured they would be a bit less distracting operating mobile.

          So one could say that between the 857D and the 897D, it was a fashion statement.... plus the 897D had a couple factory installed options that the 857D didn't have.

          John KB0NE
        • Michael Hughey
          Message 4 of 11 , May 5 12:53 PM
            I chose the FT-897, but only after carefully looking at each radio's capability. I'm a hiker, so I initially wanted the FT-817 for it portability and light weight, however it's max pwr out is only 5 watts on all bands on it's internal batteries. The FT- 857 is smaller than the FT- 897, puts 100 watts on HF, 20 watts on UHF and 50 watts on VHF, however it's not portable unless I want to put some heavy gell cells in my backpack. I ultimately chose the FT 897D for it portability and power. It has the same power as the 857 when connected to 12 volts dc and has 20 watts on all bands when on either of it's two optional internal batteries. I did use a 12 ah AGM battery in Golden Gate State Park in Colorado last summer for about 10 hours on 15 watts on VHF with an Arrow dual-band J-Pole during a marathon and it only used 33% of the battery by the end of the day. I would choose it again.

            Mike - KF4DUS

            > All three of these radios look great, but I'd like to know why you chose
            > the one you did, rather than one of the others. Or, whether you would
            > make a different choice in the future, or perhaps you did revise your
            > choice after an initial purchase?
            >
            > Maybe it will make my choice more successful. Just lay it out like you
            > would for someone who cares, 'cause I am getting close to ordering.
            >

            > Jack

            I had an 817. A great radio but 5 watts can get to be frustrating and the small display and knobs can be a pain at times. And of course there's always the chance you get to join the blown finals club.

            I bought the 897D and it truly is a rugged shack in a box. Want to work a little QRP dial down the wattage, need to bust a pileup crank it up. And the size of the controls and display are a lot easier on the eyes. Long term you'll probably be happier you spent your hard earned money on the 897 or at least the 857.

            tom

          • Joseph Richard
            Message 5 of 11 , May 5 12:53 PM
              I chose the FT-897D, because it was the best thing going at the time. So
              far, it is still unmatched. It has its quirks and there are things which
              could have been done better. The same could be said about the FT-2000.

              JR-N5JNX

              > All three of these radios look great, but I'd like to know why you chose
              > the one you did, rather than one of the others. Or, whether you would >
              make a different choice in the future, or perhaps you did revise your >
              choice after an initial purchase?

              > Maybe it will make my choice more successful. Just lay it out like you >
              would for someone who cares, 'cause I am getting close to ordering.

              > Jack
              >

              > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > I had an 817. A
              great radio but 5 watts can get to be frustrating and the small display and
              knobs can be a pain at times. And of course there's always the chance you
              get to join the blown finals club.

              I bought the 897D and it truly is a rugged shack in a box. Want to work a
              little QRP dial down the wattage, need to bust a pileup crank it up. And the
              size of the controls and display are a lot easier on the eyes. Long term
              you'll probably be happier you spent your hard earned money on the 897 or at
              least the 857.

              tom

            • n0bnd Yahoo

                > All three of these radios look great, but I'd like to know why you chose
                > the one you did, rather than one of the others. Or, whether you would >
                make a different choice in the future, or perhaps you did revise your >
                choice after an initial purchase?

                > Maybe it will make my choice more successful. Just lay it out like you >
                would for someone who cares, 'cause I am getting close to ordering.

                > Jack
                >

                > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > I had an 817. A
                great radio but 5 watts can get to be frustrating and the small display and
                knobs can be a pain at times. And of course there's always the chance you
                get to join the blown finals club.

                I bought the 897D and it truly is a rugged shack in a box. Want to work a
                little QRP dial down the wattage, need to bust a pileup crank it up. And the
                size of the controls and display are a lot easier on the eyes. Long term
                you'll probably be happier you spent your hard earned money on the 897 or at
                least the 857.

                tom

              • pascalpete
                Message 7 of 11 , May 6 4:45 AM
                  Greetings,

                  I am a relatively new ham (licensed October 2009). I carefully looked at lots of radios and asked many other experienced ham operators their thoughts as well.

                  I settled on the FT-897D for primarily two reasons:

                  1) I was new to the hobby and wanted one radio that would do it all (2 meter, HF, voice, ccw, digital modes, etc.). I did not want any limits while I explored what it was about ham radio that I really liked.

                  2) I wanted the ability to go into the field with the radio, be it for emergency comms or just for the heck of it. The battery/portable option was precisely what I was looking for.

                  I looked closely at the F817D but ultimately discarded that idea because of the QRP. As an Elmer pointed out, QRP can be fun but with the 897D you can always dial the radio back to 5 watts if you want. You can't go the other way with the 817D.

                  I love the radio. I personally don't see a need for anything different (for my uses), especially with my limited experience. It does everything I want, has the ability to expand to do portable work (when I save up the pennies for the batteries), and it does a great job. I get good reports with it. While it doesn't really matter much to me, the radio DOES look pretty cool as well. A bonus!

                  For me the radio choice was about figuring out what I wanted to do with it. That took me a longer time to figure out than I suspected. For me, the 897D was THE radio that fit everything I wanted to do.

                  Best of luck to you in choosing a radio.

                  73

                  Peter Lee
                  K8ACS