S8 when connected to Laptop

  • skippy_in_space
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 3, 2010
      Have started to play with HRD with the FT897 through my laptop but when connected Background static goes from S0 to S6-8. What can I do to get it back to S0 (Its hard enough to make contacts with 50w)

      Equipment -

      Radio - FT897
      Computer - Rock laptop, plugged into mains, with a wifi connection
      Cable - Cat cable into a serial usb connector
      Software - HRD
      Antenna - MFJ Magloop and auto tuner
      Power - 50w

      Any suggestions, I am currently looking for a cheap / refurb / second hand laptop / notebook for this opperation but it might be a few months before I get funding, So I'm open to any suggestions for this as well.

      Thanks for your help

      2M0BVN (Dont know why but when contesting I get M0BVN or 2M0BWN)

      Ian
    • Richard Corfield
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 3, 2010
        I wonder if the laptop (or its serial adapter) disagrees with the radio as
        to what voltage earth is at. Does the problem go away when either
        (preferably the laptop) are on battery?

        - Richard

        On 3 April 2010 08:27, skippy_in_space <skippyinspace@...> wrote:

        > Have started to play with HRD with the FT897 through my laptop but when
        > connected Background static goes from S0 to S6-8. What can I do to get it
        > back to S0 (Its hard enough to make contacts with 50w)
        >
        > Equipment -
        >
        > Radio - FT897
        > Computer - Rock laptop, plugged into mains, with a wifi connection
        > Cable - Cat cable into a serial usb connector
        > Software - HRD
        > Antenna - MFJ Magloop and auto tuner
        > Power - 50w
        >
        > Any suggestions, I am currently looking for a cheap / refurb / second hand
        > laptop / notebook for this opperation but it might be a few months before I
        > get funding, So I'm open to any suggestions for this as well.
        >
        > Thanks for your help
        >
        > 2M0BVN (Dont know why but when contesting I get M0BVN or 2M0BWN)
        >
        > Ian

      • Richard Corfield
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3, 2010
          ... Alternatively the DC-DC converted in the serial adapter? The one I have
          outputs at +-5V, so still has a DC-DC converter to achieve that. If the
          noise is from there it would be detectable by bringing it close to the
          radio/antenna while not connected to it.

          - Richard

        • PY5VB-Villas Boas
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 3, 2010
            Hi All:

            My FT897D not put 1mA in external miliamperimeter (via service menu,
            item 72).
            It´s possible same adjust ?

            Tnx.

            Villas PY5VB

          • PY5VB-Villas Boas
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 3, 2010
              In complement:

              It´s puts about 0,9 mA, not 1mA

              Villas - PY5VB

              Em 03/04/2010 20:55, PY5VB-Villas Boas escreveu:

              > Hi All:
              >
              > My FT897D not put 1mA in external miliamperimeter (via service menu,
              > item 72).
              > It´s possible same adjust ?
              >
              > Tnx.
              >
              > Villas PY5VB

            • DALE
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 3, 2010
                Use a 500 micro amp meter and a adjustment pot.
                dale

                Em 03/04/2010 20:55, PY5VB-Villas Boas escreveu:

                > Hi All:
                >
                > My FT897D not put 1mA in external miliamperimeter (via service menu,
                > item 72).
                > It´s possible same adjust ?
                >
                > Tnx.
                >
                > Villas PY5VB

              • skippy in space
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 28 12:30 AM
                  All,
                  finnaly got back on the air and it looks as though its a power supply
                  probblem.
                  Any thoughts as my batteries dont last long on the lap top
                  Any thought on a net book replacement or a refurbished base unitought

                  Thanks

                  On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 5 AM, Richard Corfield <richard.corfield@...>wrote:

                  > I wonder if the laptop (or its serial adapter) disagrees with the radio as
                  > to what voltage earth is at. Does the problem go away when either
                  > (preferably the laptop) are on battery?
                  >
                  > - Richard
                  >

                  > On 3 April 2010 08:27, skippy_in_space <skippyinspace@...<skippyinspace%40gmail.com>>
                  > wrote:
                  >

                  > > Have started to play with HRD with the FT897 through my laptop but when
                  > > connected Background static goes from S0 to S6-8. What can I do to get it
                  > > back to S0 (Its hard enough to make contacts with 50w)
                  > >
                  > > Equipment -
                  > >
                  > > Radio - FT897
                  > > Computer - Rock laptop, plugged into mains, with a wifi connection
                  > > Cable - Cat cable into a serial usb connector
                  > > Software - HRD
                  > > Antenna - MFJ Magloop and auto tuner
                  > > Power - 50w
                  > >
                  > > Any suggestions, I am currently looking for a cheap / refurb / second
                  > hand
                  > > laptop / notebook for this opperation but it might be a few months before
                  > > get funding, So I'm open to any suggestions for this as well.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks for your help
                  > >
                  > > 2M0BVN (Dont know why but when contesting I get M0BVN or 2M0BWN)
                  > >
                  > > Ian

                • DALE
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 28 9:21 AM
                    I use a HP net book with the large battery. I get long life and no noise.
                    Mostly I run it on AC or Solar unless portable or mobile.
                    On longer trips I run a DC to DC converter.
                    Dale