Re: [FT897] Re: What can I do with an 80 foot TV tower?

  • jsilberman
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 2, 2010
      Can build a small ham shack at the tower site.

      John
      KB4CRT

      > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com <mailto:FT897%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > "Blaine" <igoguy@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Happy New Year everyone!
      > >
      > > I'm new at this, so I have lots of questions. Years ago my dad built
      > a guyed 80-foot steel pipe "tower" for our television antenna on the
      > ranch. I think he found the plans in Popular Mechanics, and the tower
      > is balanced and pivots about 20 feet up so that you can bring the top
      > to ground level to work on the antenna (but it's kind of a scary
      > process). Interestingly enough, we discovered years later you could
      > get the same television stations leaning an antenna against the barbed
      > wire fence next to the tower.
      > >
      > > My question is this: Can I use this tower as an antenna or antenna
      > base for my FT-897D? It's about 100 yards from the ranch house where
      > the radio will be located. Guy wires (total of four, two heights,
      > opposing) are galvanized steel coming off the tower at about 45 degree
      > angles, and connected with turnbuckles to steel rods buried in the
      > ground with concrete around them.
      > >
      > > If this is just a pipe dream, let me know. But if this thing is
      > actually useful, I'd really like to hear your ideas about making the
      > most of this point on the aeronautical maps. Detailed descriptions of
      > how I might use it and the materials I'd need would be really helpful.
      > >
      > > And if I can use the barbed wire fence, I'd like to get your
      > feedback on that too. Lord knows, there are a lot of them around here!
      > > -Blaine

    • Tom Chapman KC9FOZ
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 2, 2010
        Peter I would disagree with the comment "you cannot use the mast itself, as
        an antenna, without an insulator at the base!". You can shunt feed the mast
        without it being insulated from the ground. I have a friend with a 125' non
        insulated tower that is shunt fed and he uses it for 160M with no problems.

        And If you are running on HF you will not have enough loss to worry about
        for the distance to tower. The feed point of my dipoles are over 150' from
        my house and they work great. I am feeding them with RG-11 and loss is
        minimal on HF.

        Just throwing in my 2 cents here.

        73's
        Tom