Re: [FT897] Plans for a better mobile set up

  • DavidN
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2009
      Re. the MMB80. To detach the 897 from it you loosen a screw at each side at
      the front, and remove two screws to the back at the side - takes about one
      minute. It then slides out. Of course, you have to then remove the power
      plug, two aerial connectors and the earth strap. I wouldn't want to do it
      every day.

      When I bought mine I did look around for a quick release mount, but there
      doesn't seem to be one.... Be interested to know if anyone has found one!

      For those interested my 897 is shoe-horned into a Vauxhall (Opel in some
      countries) Astra above my right knee. It's very handy there and out of sight
      of passers-by.

      .d. G4TUP/9H3CU.

      On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 1:46 AM, nnvpears <nnvpears@...> wrote:

      > I saw that the Yaesu website lists the YSK-857 as an option with the 897,
      > does this work for the 897/has any one done this. Secondly does the factory
      > mounting bracket MMB-80 allow for easy removal of a rig from a mobile
      > installation to be used as a base radio?
      >
      > Thanks
      > Nathaniel
      > KB1QHX

    • Damien Gardner Jnr
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2009
        On 01/12/2009, at 9:28 PM, DavidN wrote:
        > For those interested my 897 is shoe-horned into a Vauxhall (Opel in
        > some
        > countries) Astra above my right knee. It's very handy there and out
        > of sight
        > of passers-by.

        Google tells me that in england and malta, you drive on the left side
        of the road like us here in .AU, so I *really* want to see a photo of
        this!! Unless your Astra is *really* different to our Astra (Holden,
        here in .au), I just can't figure out where on earth you've got it..
        last time we took the mrs car camping, we had trouble with 1st/3rd/5th
        gear with just the 4-way adapter plugged into the cigarette lighter
        (yes, that's on the left..), and I just can't think of ANY space on
        the right hand side.. - I can't imagine fitting an 897 anywhere in the
        front of the thing, unless it's on top of that awesomely deep dash!

        So yeah, if you happen to take a photo or two and post them up, I'd
        *love* to see them, my mind boggles at the thought of any kind of non-
        remote-head rig mounted in the front of an astra! :)

        Cheers,

        Damien

        Damien Gardner Jnr
        VK2TDG. Dip EE. GradIEAust
        rendrag@... - http://www.rendrag.net/
        We ran to the sounds of thunder.
        We danced among the lightning bolts,
        and tore the world asunder

      • DavidN
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 2009
          Hi Damien. Not sure if the Holden-make Astra is the same as the Vauxhall one
          but you'll be able to tell from the pics I've put in the photos section -
          look for *897 INSTALLED IN VAUXHALL ASTRA*. Unfortunately it hasn't put them
          in numerical order, and there wasn't much room for descriptive comment! So
          here are a few ad hoc comments....

          The mic is the Yaesu MH-59A8J. The gold earth strap (UR67 braid flattened)
          can be seen to the right. This goes to the door pillar and is only about
          seven inches long. The power cable is wired direct to the car battery - the
          garage put this through the bulkhead for me when the car was in for
          servicing. There is plenty of room for my right leg between the seat and 897
          - I did try mounting the rig lower but it fouled my foot on the brake :)
          When driving the view of the screen is great and all controls to hand. I
          removed the fuse box cover completely so that the rig didn't have to be
          removed to get to the fuses.

          Any more questions, just ask!

          .d. G4TUP.

          On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 at 1:12 PM, Damien Gardner Jnr <rendrag@...>wrote:

          > On 01/12/2009, at 9:28 PM, DavidN wrote:
          > > For those interested my 897 is shoe-horned into a Vauxhall (Opel in
          > > some
          > > countries) Astra above my right knee. It's very handy there and out
          > > of sight
          > > of passers-by.
          >
          > Google tells me that in england and malta, you drive on the left side
          > of the road like us here in .AU, so I *really* want to see a photo of
          > this!! Unless your Astra is *really* different to our Astra (Holden,
          > here in .au), I just can't figure out where on earth you've got it..
          > last time we took the mrs car camping, we had trouble with 1st/3rd/5th
          > gear with just the 4-way adapter plugged into the cigarette lighter
          > (yes, that's on the left..), and I just can't think of ANY space on
          > the right hand side.. - I can't imagine fitting an 897 anywhere in the
          > front of the thing, unless it's on top of that awesomely deep dash!
          >
          > So yeah, if you happen to take a photo or two and post them up, I'd
          > *love* to see them, my mind boggles at the thought of any kind of non-
          > remote-head rig mounted in the front of an astra! :)
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Damien
          >
          > Damien Gardner Jnr
          > VK2TDG. Dip EE. GradIEAust
          > rendrag@... <rendrag%40rendrag.net> - http://www.rendrag.net/
          > --
          > We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
          > We ran to the sounds of thunder.
          > We danced among the lightning bolts,
          > and tore the world asunder

        • Damien Gardner Jnr
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 2, 2009
            Yep, thats exactly the same as the missus' car - I seriously wouldn't
            have thought there was enough leg room in there to put a transceiver,
            but it would seem I'm wrong! Hrrrm, I wonder if she'd let me screw
            stuff into her under-dash.... :)

            I'll definitely have to look into the mobile mount - it certainly
            beats the large number of cable ties I currently use to hold it to the
            cargo barriers in both cars!! (I mainly only use it for HF APRS when
            we're on holiday, with the occasional sitting-in-the-boot DX'ing
            session :)

            Cheers,

            Damien

            PS, speaking of the Astra, we found a *REALLY* big security hole on
            our last holiday... - were running a waeco fridge, so had one of those
            little 500A jump starter things sitting in the boot with it, to power
            it when the car was off - and had planned on just having a dual ended
            cig lighter cable to go between the cig lighter socket on the jump
            starter, and the car's cig lighter socket.. Except it would appear
            that the cig lighter socket on the astra is permanently wired to the
            ignition circuit.. That is, if you supply 12V there, and give the car
            a push-start, it runs, albeit in limp mode, because the key hasn't
            'unlocked' the ECU, but you can still do up to about 60k/h in limp
            mode fairly well Since then, we always turn the wheels to hard lock
            before putting the steering lock on - don't want someone driving it
            away down a street and up onto a tandem!!

            On 03/12/2009, at 1:24 AM, DavidN wrote:

> [...]
            >> 5th
            >> gear with just the 4-way adapter plugged into the cigarette lighter
            >> (yes, that's on the left..), and I just can't think of ANY space on
            >> the right hand side.. - I can't imagine fitting an 897 anywhere in
            >> the
            >> front of the thing, unless it's on top of that awesomely deep dash!
            >>
            >> So yeah, if you happen to take a photo or two and post them up, I'd
            >> *love* to see them, my mind boggles at the thought of any kind of
            >> non-
            >> remote-head rig mounted in the front of an astra! :)
            >>
            >> Cheers,
            >>
            >> Damien
            >>
            >> Damien Gardner Jnr
            >> VK2TDG. Dip EE. GradIEAust
            >> rendrag@... <rendrag%40rendrag.net> - http://www.rendrag.net/
            >> --
            >> We rode on the winds of the rising storm,

          • DavidN
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 3, 2009
              Cheers, thanks for the tip! Now I know how to hot wire all the Astras around
              here ;)

              All the best with the 897 in your own Astra...

              .d. G4TUP.