Menu item 004

  • jose.douglas
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2009
      Hi!

      I am new to all this; just purchased this rig a couple of weeks ago and I'm having a hard time figuring it out.
      Also just got my technician license a couple of weeks ago.
      We bought this radio because we plan to get the general license in the near future.
      I am trying to enable the Dial knob on the FM, 2 meter mode. I did get the value changed to "enable" but I'm still not able to use the dial knob.
      I am trying to do fine tuning; right now the radio jumps frequencies in intervals of 10; 5 would be nice...

      Any help would be appreciated.

      Thanks!

      Jose Douglas
      Round Pond, ME
      KB1TCD
    • Keith
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2009
        Starting around page 54 of the manual the Menu's used in the radio are
        written about and contain short informational text about their function.
        Going from a all dials and knobs radio to a computer menu driven radio
        can cause frustation. FM step is menu # 52 for the mem/vfo ch knob &
        Page 22 discusses setting the dial speed by pressing the power button
        momentarily and the display will show a running stick figure
        in the bottom right of the LCD display.

        --
        Best Regards, Keith
        http://home.comcast.net/~kilowattradio/

        > I am new to all this; just purchased this rig a couple of weeks ago
        > and I'm having a hard time figuring it out.
        > Also just got my technician license a couple of weeks ago.
        > We bought this radio because we plan to get the general license in the
        > near future.
        > I am trying to enable the Dial knob on the FM, 2 meter mode. I did
        > get the value changed to "enable" but I'm still not able to use the
        > dial knob.
        > I am trying to do fine tuning; right now the radio jumps frequencies
        > in intervals of 10; 5 would be nice...
        >
        > Any help would be appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Jose Douglas
        > Round Pond, ME
        > KB1TCD

      • jraboldcal
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2009
          Following up on Keith's response to your question, yes, menu item 52, "FM STEP", allows you to change the size of the frequency step as you turn the MEM/VFO CH knob in FM mode when using a VFO. If you try single sideband, though, you'll see that setting doesn't apply to that mode. There is a separate setting in menu item 82, "SSB STEP", to set the frequency step for SSB operation.

          John KS6M
        • oldmayorkd5lbe
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 1, 2009
            It is important that you read and play with the memory functions starting on page 52. Hold down the F key until the memory mode shows up. Go to 052 turning the mem dial on the right. Adjust the the big dial until you get the steps you want in FM. FM steps given are sufficient for what you are going to need. When it shows 5 in the window hit the F key again. Read and reread the book. It makes the radio a lot more fun.

            --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "jose.douglas" <josedouglas@...> wrote:

            > Hi!
            >
            > I am new to all this; just purchased this rig a couple of weeks ago and I'm having a hard time figuring it out.
            > Also just got my technician license a couple of weeks ago.
            > We bought this radio because we plan to get the general license in the near future.
            > I am trying to enable the Dial knob on the FM, 2 meter mode. I did get the value changed to "enable" but I'm still not able to use the dial knob.
            > I am trying to do fine tuning; right now the radio jumps frequencies in intervals of 10; 5 would be nice...
            >
            > Any help would be appreciated.
            >
            > Thanks!
            >
            > Jose Douglas
            > Round Pond, ME
            > KB1TCD

          • Barra
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 2, 2009
              I recently bought a Microham USBIII interface. It is capable of operating
              many digital modes and operating the radio from the PC by an integrated CAT
              connection. The interface has it's own soundcard.

              I am now looking for software, preferably freeware, that will allow me to
              connect to the FT897 via the interface to address and manage the memory
              channels in the 897.

              The makers of Microham tell me it will work as long as this software
              addresses a com port.

              Any idea what software I might be looking at?

              Maarten
              PD4M
            • Donald Weissgerber
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 4, 2009
                Mararten,

                There are a lot of terrific choices out there that are completely free (or
                have a very low registration cost).

                I use DXLab suite for radio control and

                MultiPSK for digital modes.

                Don

                N9GOD

                Join the N9GOD team on the World Community Grid project at:

                http:// www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=P5GMDB2DQ1

                _____

                I recently bought a Microham USBIII interface. It is capable of operating
                many digital modes and operating the radio from the PC by an integrated CAT
                connection. The interface has it's own soundcard.

                I am now looking for software, preferably freeware, that will allow me to
                connect to the FT897 via the interface to address and manage the memory
                channels in the 897.

                The makers of Microham tell me it will work as long as this software
                addresses a com port.

                Any idea what software I might be looking at?

                Maarten
                PD4M

              • Trixter aka Bret McDanel
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 4, 2009
                  On Mon, 2009-11-02 at 20:13 +0100, Barra wrote:

                  > I am now looking for software, preferably freeware, that will allow me
                  > connect to the FT897 via the interface to address and manage the
                  > memory
                  > channels in the 897.

                  if you want to help me map out memory I have been writing some perl
                  tools that do that. I have some of the channels mapped out but not all
                  the different options.

                  http://www.0xdecafbad.com/?p=154

                  kc2dwq
                  --
                  Trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com Bret McDanel
                  pgp key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x8AE5C721
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 4, 2009
                    Hello Bret

                    I suggest you look at FTBasicMMO on:

                    http://www.g4hfq.co.uk/ <http://www.0xdecafbad.com/?p=154>
                    <http://www.0xdecafbad.com/?p=154>
                    This program is simple to operate, very powerful and only costs £10

                    Regards Allan M0CBG

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 4, 2009
                      On Wed, 2009-11-04 at 20:55 +0000, Allan Godney wrote:

                      > Hello Bret
                      >
                      > I suggest you look at FTBasicMMO on:
                      >
                      > http://www.g4hfq.co.uk/ <http://www.0xdecafbad.com/?p=154>
                      > <http://www.0xdecafbad.com/?p=154>
                      > This program is simple to operate, very powerful and only costs £10

                      mine costs 0, I have done it as a community effort. Why would you
                      suggest that I stop providing information for free and software for free
                      and instead go to software that does not work in the operating system I
                      prefer and costs money?

                      I did the stuff I am doing in perl because it works in windows, osx,
                      linux, *BSD, solaris, and more.

                      kc2dwq

                      --
                      Trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com Bret McDanel
                      pgp key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x8AE5C721
                    • dj7sw
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 4, 2009
                        I do use a simple program made by DG5KW, named FT857DRW.ZIP.
                        The free-download adress is:

                        http://www.mydarc.de/dc5kw/

                        This program reads all 210 memories and writes the content into
                        a .csv file. This file can then edited by excel or any other
                        csv editor. I believe excel is an overkill for this purpose.
                        A gud csv editor (cardware=send a qsl hi hi) is found here:

                        http://csved.sjfrancke.nl/index.html

                        The edited file is then writen back into FT 857/859 memories.

                        One memory-line consists of nine colums separated by semicolon:

                        Colum 1 = M or P (M=memory, P=Part of Scan pair)
                        Colum 2 = empty or asterix if skiped during scan
                        Colum 3 = Memory number
                        Colum 4 = type of modulation RX (AM-FM-WFM-USB-LSB-CW)
                        Coöum 5 = RX QRG (example 14450000)
                        Colum 6 = TX QRG or -R for repeatershift (Menue 76)or empty
                        Colum 7 = type of modulation TX (AM-FM-WFM-USB-LSB-CW)
                        Colum 8 = Label (max 8 letters/sigs/spaces)
                        Colum 9 = asterix if label is to show, empty means show QRG

                        I programed all 70cm and 2m relay channels from number 200 backwards,
                        the available relais in my area are labeld with their names, and even
                        the broadcast and FM channels have proper labels now. I like this
                        new "knob rotary feeling". I even made different files for north and
                        south german areas.

                        If you need more than 200 channels say several hundreds you may hold the qrg lists on your computer. A nice program for this application is made by OK1FIG.

                        http://ok1fig.nagano.cz/vlr_overview.htm

                        73 and have fun
                        Lup, DJ7SW/DL0KF