Re: [FT897] Aerial Advice

  • eddiehays@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 30, 2009
      You might also consider a magnetic loop. Go to www.wellbrook.uk.com -
      you will find a lot of info on it there

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Andy McMullin <Andy.McMullin@...>
      To: FT897@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wed, Sep 30, 2009 12:32 pm
      Subject: [FT897] Aerial Advice

      Hi All,

      I'm looking for some advice....

      I have an FT-897 with the mains supply or batteries. I'm looking to
      use it at our school to try and get an amateur radio club going with
      the students. My problem is the choice of aerial!

      For safety reasons the windows only open a fraction of an inch.
      Because it's not an established club (yet) I can't run long wires or
      install anything permanent on the buildings. I do have a large space
      in the "loft" above my class which I can get to (with a ladder). I'd
      like to be able to use anything I get for my own purposes, such as
      working portable or mobile.

      Currently I am looking at the ATAS 120, probably with radial kit, to
      mount in the "loft" somehow - or maybe on a tripod. If I read things
      right, it has the advantage that, when matched to an 897, it'll tune
      itself and I won't have to touch it once I've mounted it somewhere. It
      also covers 2m and 70cm and won't need an ATU. In the UK that'll set
      me back about £240 + £90 for the radials. Without the radials I could
      use it mobile.

      The altenative is the Buddipole. No radials, mounts easily on a tripod

      but it needs an ATU and manual adjustment (so I have to be able to get
      at the aerial easily). I'd also need to buy a separate antenna for 2m
      and 70cm; and sort something out for 80m. However, I'm told it will
      outperform the ATAS because there's "more metal in the sky" and it
      would be great for portable operation - but not mobile. Then again, in
      the UK a Buddipole is about £430 (or £240 for the mini if that's an
      alternative).

      What do you think? Or is there an alternative I've missed? All advice
      greatfully received.

      Regards
      Andy, G8TQH
      http://www.rickham.net/

    • Kim Scheidel
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 30, 2009
        Mike,

        Andy said in his post he would like to be able to use the antenna for
        personal use also.  Either portable or mobile.

        Kim KE6RKX

        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 1, 2009
          I too am following this thread with interest, as I wish to eventually do
          something similar portable with my 897. Reading all the different ops.
          thoughts is interesting and to me totally on-topic for the 897.

          To me, the best idea so far is to get some 300ohm twinlead out of the window
          to various dipoles in parrallel. And for VHF/UHF a dual band colinear with a
          counterpoise attached to the window. This could work locals/repeaters and so
          demonstrate these bands even just in a local sense.

          David G4TUP.

          On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 8:38 PM, Kim Scheidel <ke6rkx@...> wrote:

          > Mike,
          >
          > Andy said in his post he would like to be able to use the antenna for
          > personal use also. Either portable or mobile.
          >
          > Kim KE6RKX
          >
          > --- On Wed, 9/30/09, Michael Walker <va3mw@...<va3mw%40portcredit.net>>
          > wrote:
          >
          > From: Michael Walker <va3mw@... <va3mw%40portcredit.net>>
          >
          > Subject: Re: [FT897] Aerial Advice
          > To: FT897@yahoogroups.com <FT897%40yahoogroups.com>
          > Date: Wednesday, September 30, 2009, 11:37 AM
          >

          > Would this discussion be better targeted for the Tower (antenna) reflector?
          >
          > Mike
          >
          > Trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:
          >

          > > On Wed, 2009-09-30 at 10:56 -0700, Lew Phelps K6LMP wrote:
          >

          > > > Given that you can open the window a fraction of an inch,
          >

          > > You dont even have to do that, although I really dont know how well the
          >
          > > Comet CTC-50M works not having one, it may be that you can stick this in
          >
          > > the window and close it.
          >

          > > reference url:
          >
          > > https://www. hamcity.com/ store/pc/ viewPrd.asp? idcategory=
          > 390&idproduct= 1787
          >
          > > <https://www. hamcity.com/ store/pc/ viewPrd.asp? idcategory=
          > 390&idproduct= 1787>
          >

          > > Basically its like twinlead (thinner than normal stuff, like what those
          >
          > > indoor FM radio dipoles are made from) with 239 connectors on the ends.
          >
          > > I plan on making one out of similar TV hookup wire obtained for $1 from
          >
          > > frys as soon as my antenna analyzer is returned in working order. I
          >
          > > wanted to check it out to see if anything special had to be done for
          >
          > > matching and all that and not just slap one together and hope it works
          >
          > > fine. It *looks* like its just wire and connectors, the connectors
          >
          > > look too small to have a toroid or something else inside, but stranger
          >
          > > things have happened.
          >

          > > Could be a nice project for someone who has working tools :)
          >

          > > kc2dwq
          >

          > > --
          >
          > > Trixter http://www.0xdecafb ad.com <http://www.0xdecafb ad.com> Bret
          > McDanel
          >
          > > pgp key: http://pgp.mit. edu:11371/ pks/lookup? op=get&search=
          > 0x8AE5C721
          >
          > > <http://pgp.mit. edu:11371/ pks/lookup? op=get&search= 0x8AE5C721>

        • James
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 1, 2009
            can you send me the info on the twin lead antennas

            jim hyde k5dhe
          • Michael Walker
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 2, 2009
              I would agree if it is something directly related to the 897, but you
              might find better experience from key subject matter experts (and there
              are many) if you target the correct group.

              I would not post a question here for my 897, turbo tuner and my HiQ
              mobile antenna if the antenna would not tune correctly. That is not
              something fixed in the 897, but more in the area of my mobile installation.

              Many of us subscribe to many lists just so that we have access to those
              that have the best experience for the topic.

              However I will defer to the List Moderator.

              Mike

              Lew Phelps K6LMP wrote:

              > So long as we're discussing portable antenna alternatives, I think
              > it's useful here.
              >
              > lew k6lmp
              >
              > On Sep 30, 2009, at 11:37 AM, Michael Walker wrote:
              >
              > > Would this discussion be better targeted for the Tower (antenna)
              > > reflector?

            • DavidN
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 2, 2009
                How do you know that 'Many of us subscribe to many lists'? Have you done a
                poll of all subscibers to this group?

                I am absolutely certain that as users of the portable 897 that there is an
                absolute wealth of knowledge and experience within the subscribers to this
                group with regard to aerials and anything else that gets connected to the
                897, as demonstrated many times recently, and so far, by just reading this
                group I've learnt a lot - thanks guys!

                I'd be now interested to hear from Andy, the original poster, on his
                thoughts about the future of aerial/s at school for his 897.

                David G4TUP/9H3CU.

                On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 2:10 PM, Michael Walker <va3mw@...> wrote:

                > I would agree if it is something directly related to the 897, but you
                > might find better experience from key subject matter experts (and there
                > are many) if you target the correct group.
                >
                > I would not post a question here for my 897, turbo tuner and my HiQ
                > mobile antenna if the antenna would not tune correctly. That is not
                > something fixed in the 897, but more in the area of my mobile installation.
                >
                > Many of us subscribe to many lists just so that we have access to those
                > that have the best experience for the topic.
                >
                > However I will defer to the List Moderator.
                >
                > Mike
                >

                > Lew Phelps K6LMP wrote:
                > >

                > > So long as we're discussing portable antenna alternatives, I think
                > > it's useful here.
                > >
                > > lew k6lmp
                > >
                > > On Sep 30, 2009, at 11:37 AM, Michael Walker wrote:
                > >
                > > > Would this discussion be better targeted for the Tower (antenna)
                > > > reflector?

              • KD8CCX - Adam Filkins
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 3, 2009
                  Hello All,
                  Hopefully someone can help me with this issue, as I have not been able
                  to find anything like it.

                  My 897 is locking on transmit whenever I use it on a repeater with a PL
                  Tone. It works fine on a repeater with no PL or on Simplex.

                  I have completed the following to try and resolve the issue:
                  1. Checked all settings
                  2. complete factory reset
                  3. low power xmit
                  4. switching antennas

                  I am at a loss. My guess is that this could be a micro processor issue
                  - but I am hoping that is not the issue.

                  Any help is appreciated. Please let me know if you have any
                  suggestions.

                  Thanks and 73's

                  Adam Filkins
                  KD8CCX
                  146.860Mhz Repeater - No PL

                  Learn more about the Thumb Amateur Radio Club at:
                  Http://www.w8ax.com