AW: [FT897] FT100D Vs. FT897

  • Markus.Homma@t-online.de
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2003
      -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
      Von: py2mrd [mailto:py2mrd@...]
      Gesendet: Montag, 2. Juni 2003 02:14
      An: FT897@yahoogroups.com
      Betreff: [FT897] FT100D Vs. FT897

      Folks,

      I am a unhappy user of a FT100D (SWR and fan !!!), but in spite of
      those ones it is a great rig !

      The primary use is as a back-up for my base, VHF and trips (hotels
      and camping).

      Do you believe the 897 could perform better than the 100D, including
      the final price with the same config ?

      Regards
      Luiz
      PY2KD

      Hi Luiz,

      i had two FT-100 and one FT-100D and none of the three radios were
      working longer

      than 2 weeks.

      The swr fault and the fans who were not running in receive on vhf/uhf
      drove me crazy.

      On vhf/uhf the result was heating and less sensitivity.Also the FT-100D
      had this problem

      and died one week after purchase.(no output)

      This happened a year ago and i bought a FT-817 and a small amplifier for
      mobile and portable.

      The FT-817 is a great radio and i will keep it.Two weeks ago i bought a
      FT-857 and installed

      it in my car.I was a little afraid that the 857 will also have those
      faults or new faults.

      I red all the information on this reflector and on eham.net and decided
      to take a risk.

      But i am absolut happy with my decision.The 857 is running flawlessly
      and i had made

      some very nice contacts and got very nice modulation reports.

      Serial is 3E.....

      So it is no question that the design flaws in the FT-100 and FT-100D
      were not eliminated

      by yaesu and also the last produced units have this faults.

      The 857 is a new design and i really hope that he will do his job the
      next years without

      new not known problems.

      And what do you want? I want a radio who is working and a radio i can
      depend on.

      I was very often on the canarian islands (with my 817) and imagine i had
      a FT-100 with me and

      the radio would die the first day.Great...

      Next holiday i will carry my 857 with me.

      All in all i think that the 857 is a great radio and that yaesu did it
      again.

      We will see....

      Greetings

      Markus