RE: [FT897] FT-897D and Field Day

  • Adam Karsin
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2009
      Hank,

      I'm not sure if this will help, but I have a friend that although is
      not deed restricted, he is XYL restricted. What he did was he took dark
      color shielded 14GA wire, and fed it around near the top of his fence, I
      think he used stapled to secure it than used a caulk that is similar color
      to the fence (brown). To feed it he put the balun in a project box and
      trenched conduit to the house from the project (actually I think it was an
      electrical junction box) and ran his coax through that. He seems to have
      good results with low noise levels, but the downfall is the NVIS properties
      the antenna has. He is great for most of Florida, but real hit and miss
      outside of that. Like Dennis said if you can get a wire up in a tree that is
      your best bet. I have heard of magnet wire being used around the eaves of
      houses and other forms of clandestine set-ups. I had researched quite a few
      myself. I am not deed restricted, but have limited real estate to put stuff
      up, not to mention the way the power wires line and cross my property makes
      it that much more difficult.

      This is one of the aspects I love about the hobby. We get a great idea, beat
      our heads against the wall until we figure out a solution and then commence
      beating the wall with our heads again until we make it work, only to be
      giddy when we actually get it going!!

      I wish you the best of luck, and please report back here to let us know how
      the battle goes!! Or feel free to email me directly to let me know how it
      ends up.

      Thanks and 73,

      Adam

      KG4WWH

      _____

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2009
        I have also seen coil antennas: Take a 4' piece of 1.5-2" plastic pipe
        and wrap a half-wave of wire around it. Mount it vertically and feed
        it with a long piece of coax....

        On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 10:01 PM, Adam Karsin<akarsin@...> wrote:

        > Hank,
        >
        > I'm not sure if this will help, but I have a friend that although is
        > not deed restricted, he is XYL restricted. What he did was he took dark
        > color shielded 14GA wire, and fed it around near the top of his fence, I
        > think he used stapled to secure it than used a caulk that is similar color
        > to the fence (brown). To feed it he put the balun in a project box and
        > trenched conduit to the house from the project (actually I think it was an
        > electrical junction box) and ran his coax through that. He seems to have
        > good results with low noise levels, but the downfall is the NVIS properties
        > the antenna has. He is great for most of Florida, but real hit and miss
        > outside of that. Like Dennis said if you can get a wire up in a tree that is
        > your best bet. I have heard of magnet wire being used around the eaves of
        > houses and other forms of clandestine set-ups. I had researched quite a few
        > myself. I am not deed restricted, but have limited real estate to put stuff
        > up, not to mention the way the power wires line and cross my property makes
        > it that much more difficult.
        >
        > This is one of the aspects I love about the hobby. We get a great idea, beat
        > our heads against the wall until we figure out a solution and then commence
        > beating the wall with our heads again until we make it work, only to be
        > giddy when we actually get it going!!
        >
        > I wish you the best of luck, and please report back here to let us know how
        > the battle goes!! Or feel free to email me directly to let me know how it
        > ends up.
        >
        > Thanks and 73,
        >
        > Adam
        >
        > KG4WWH
        >
        > _____

        Tom Wilson
        wilsontp@...
        (619)342-1391
        KI6ABZ
      • Bryce Anderson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 3, 2009
          Two observations

          You might want to look around you house for the offending noise maker.
          We had HORRIBLE S7 noise at our Field Day site on a hill top far from
          electrical wires and the rest.
          It turned out to be comming from an inverter we were using to power a laptop
          from a battery.
          With that unconnected the noice dropped to S3 - S4.
          When we diconnected the other inverters, which were reasonably clean, it
          dropped to S1 or less

          I have a 40m Tak-Tenna
          Steve (owner) is VERY helpful and wants you to be satisfied
          There are some great reports on contacts made with a tak-tenna
          I wonder to what extent the coax is acting as part of the antenna
          If it is and power was traveling back down the outside of the shield, it
          would cause your radio to reduce power.
          I plan on putting some torrid cores on the coax and checking to see if I can
          still tune the antenna
          I only know enough to get into trouble, so take my comments with a grain of
          salt.

          Bryce
          K6TI

          --