Re: Buying FT-897D: AES Superfest vs. Hamvention?

  • dyarnes1
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 3, 2009
      I have rarely seen sale prices better than those you find at Dayton. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen sale prices better than at Dayton, unless it was something like a closeout price offered subsequently. I would bet you would be wise to do your shopping at Dayton. I may be wrong, but I suspect that the current sluggish economy might make this a particularly good year for deals at Dayton.

      Dave W7AQK

      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Twigg" <stevetwigg@...> wrote:

      > Hi All!
      > Starting tomorrow AES in Milwaukee is having their "Superfest." Since I live within a 1-1/2 hour drive I'm going. On the other hand I'm also attending Hamvention. I have no experience witheither event.
      >
      > AES's latest advertised price is $769 foe the 897D. (They're not giving any clues if there'll be any "specials") My question then is: If I waited until Dayton, might I get a better deal?
      >
      > Thanks!
      > W9SWT

    • N4CQR
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3, 2009
        In all but the most extreme cases, if you buy from an Ohio dealer at Dayton, you WILL be charged Ohio Sales Tax. Which I have found to be far more than shipping costs, all things being equal.

        Craig

        Grundig Satellit 750 Group:

        > I have rarely seen sale prices better than those you find at
        > Dayton. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen sale
        > prices better than at Dayton, unless it was something like a
        > closeout price offered subsequently. I would bet you would
        > be wise to do your shopping at Dayton. I may be wrong, but
        > I suspect that the current sluggish economy might make this
        > a particularly good year for deals at Dayton.
        >
        > Dave W7AQK
      • mack bolan
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3, 2009
          you can also ask AES what their Dayton prive could be

        • scoutermike@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 4, 2009
            --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Twigg" <stevetwigg@...> wrote:

            Hello Steve & all,

            For what it's worth; I just bought an 897d from Gigaparts during their "March Madness" promotion for $710.00 US$. It involved a $70 instant rebate from Yaesu & an additional coupon from Paypal/Google checkout and has probably ended for now but it shows there are deals to be had. (I also got the LDG FTmeter($44.10) & the AT-897 ($161.0) under the same deal. There was a free dipole kit from LDG included with the tuner as well.

            Just to let you know deals re available.

            Vy 73 de,
            K8SYN mjsyn(Mike)

            > Hi All!
            > Starting tomorrow AES in Milwaukee is having their "Superfest." Since I live within a 1-1/2 hour drive I'm going. On the other hand I'm also attending Hamvention. I have no experience witheither event.
            >
            > AES's latest advertised price is $769 foe the 897D. (They're not giving any clues if there'll be any "specials") My question then is: If I waited until Dayton, might I get a better deal?
            >
            > Thanks!
            > W9SWT

          • Mike Rhodes
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 4, 2009
              If you buy from ANY dealer at Dayton, you will be charged Ohio sales tax
              but it pays to ask questions of the dealers who do not have a presence
              in your home state!

              Mike / W8DN

              N4CQR wrote:

              > In all but the most extreme cases, if you buy from an Ohio dealer at
              > Dayton, you WILL be charged Ohio Sales Tax. Which I have found to be
              > far more than shipping costs, all things being equal.
              >
              > Craig
              >
              > Grundig Satellit 750 Group:
              >
              > Talk about Yaesu's Newest HT, the VX-8R:
              >
              > --- On Fri, 4/3/09, dyarnes1 <w7aqk@... <mailto:w7aqk%40cox.net>>
              > wrote:
              >
              > > From: dyarnes1 <w7aqk@... <mailto:w7aqk%40cox.net>>
              > > Subject: [FT897] Re: Buying FT-897D: AES Superfest vs. Hamvention?
              > > To: FT897@yahoogroups.com <mailto:FT897%40yahoogroups.com>
              > > Date: Friday, April 3, 2009, 2:16 PM
              > > I have rarely seen sale prices better than those you find at
              > > Dayton. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen sale
              > > prices better than at Dayton, unless it was something like a
              > > closeout price offered subsequently. I would bet you would
              > > be wise to do your shopping at Dayton. I may be wrong, but
              > > I suspect that the current sluggish economy might make this
              > > a particularly good year for deals at Dayton.
              > >
              > > Dave W7AQK

            • Mike Rhodes
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 4, 2009
                My impression is, the dealers find out what the factory deals will be
                when they set up very shortly before and either do not know or are not
                at liberty to say what their 'Dayton prices' will be before then.
                Besides, why would they want to give you info on pricing that is a month
                down the road. Their job is to sell stuff that day at the biggest profit
                margin they can swing.

                Mike / W8DN

                mack bolan wrote:

                > you can also ask AES what their Dayton prive could be
                >
                > --- On Fri, 4/3/09, dyarnes1 <w7aqk@... <mailto:w7aqk%40cox.net>>
                > wrote:
                >
                > From: dyarnes1 <w7aqk@... <mailto:w7aqk%40cox.net>>
                > Subject: [FT897] Re: Buying FT-897D: AES Superfest vs. Hamvention?
                > To: FT897@yahoogroups.com <mailto:FT897%40yahoogroups.com>
                > Date: Friday, April 3, 2009, 1:16 PM
                >
                > I have rarely seen sale prices better than those you find at Dayton.
                > In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen sale prices better than at
                > Dayton, unless it was something like a closeout price offered
                > subsequently. I would bet you would be wise to do your shopping at
                > Dayton. I may be wrong, but I suspect that the current sluggish
                > economy might make this a particularly good year for deals at Dayton.
                >
                > Dave W7AQK
                >
                > --- In FT897@yahoogroups. com, "Steve Twigg" <stevetwigg@ ...> wrote:
                >

                > > Hi All!
                >
                > > Starting tomorrow AES in Milwaukee is having their "Superfest."
                > Since I live within a 1-1/2 hour drive I'm going. On the other hand
                > I'm also attending Hamvention. I have no experience witheither event.
                >

                > > AES's latest advertised price is $769 foe the 897D. (They're not
                > giving any clues if there'll be any "specials") My question then is:
                > If I waited until Dayton, might I get a better deal?
                >

                > > Thanks!
                >
                > > W9SWT

              • flhtci97
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 5, 2009
                  Yes Gigaparts has had some good sales. I picked up my 897D from them last October for $710.00. Picked up a my new 857D during the March Madness sale for $620.00. Both instances pretty good deals in my book.
                  73 Ed N0EHQ