Re: Buying FT-897D: AES Superfest vs. Hamvention?

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 3, 2009
      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Twigg" <stevetwigg@...> wrote:

      > Hi All!
      > Starting tomorrow AES in Milwaukee is having their "Superfest." Since I live within a 1-1/2 hour drive I'm going. On the other hand I'm also attending Hamvention. I have no experience with either event.
      >
      > AES's latest advertised price is $769 foe the 897D. (They're not giving any clues if there'll be any "specials") My question then is: If I waited until Dayton, might I get a better deal?
      >
      > Thanks!
      > W9SWT

      Steven,
      You may want to try Eham, QTH or QRZ.com for a deal.
      I purchased several rigs, etc. from one or the other
      on-line forums and have always had good deals. Most
      of the sellers have phone numbers and you can check
      with them for particulars.
      My last was a mint FT-897D with AT-897 in like new
      condition for $600. I've had it for about 6 months
      and it has always worked(s) well along with the tuner.
      Just a suggestion, as I know, new with warranty, is
      attractive for many of us and you can also get good
      deals from the distributors at times.
      So far, all my purchases here at the three mentioned
      forums have been excellent deals, tax free and less than most.
      I'm only 30 miles from AES and I like to go there for
      parts and look at the new rigs and they have an enticing
      array of equipment.
      Good luck and good hunting,
      Bill
      k3waw
    • dyarnes1
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3, 2009
        I have rarely seen sale prices better than those you find at Dayton. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen sale prices better than at Dayton, unless it was something like a closeout price offered subsequently. I would bet you would be wise to do your shopping at Dayton. I may be wrong, but I suspect that the current sluggish economy might make this a particularly good year for deals at Dayton.

        Dave W7AQK

        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Twigg" <stevetwigg@...> wrote:

        > Hi All!
        > Starting tomorrow AES in Milwaukee is having their "Superfest." Since I live within a 1-1/2 hour drive I'm going. On the other hand I'm also attending Hamvention. I have no experience witheither event.
        >
        > AES's latest advertised price is $769 foe the 897D. (They're not giving any clues if there'll be any "specials") My question then is: If I waited until Dayton, might I get a better deal?
        >
        > Thanks!
        > W9SWT

      • N4CQR
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3, 2009
          In all but the most extreme cases, if you buy from an Ohio dealer at Dayton, you WILL be charged Ohio Sales Tax. Which I have found to be far more than shipping costs, all things being equal.

          Craig

          Grundig Satellit 750 Group:

          > I have rarely seen sale prices better than those you find at
          > Dayton. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen sale
          > prices better than at Dayton, unless it was something like a
          > closeout price offered subsequently. I would bet you would
          > be wise to do your shopping at Dayton. I may be wrong, but
          > I suspect that the current sluggish economy might make this
          > a particularly good year for deals at Dayton.
          >
          > Dave W7AQK
        • mack bolan
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 3, 2009
            you can also ask AES what their Dayton prive could be

          • scoutermike@sbcglobal.net
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 4, 2009
              --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Twigg" <stevetwigg@...> wrote:

              Hello Steve & all,

              For what it's worth; I just bought an 897d from Gigaparts during their "March Madness" promotion for $710.00 US$. It involved a $70 instant rebate from Yaesu & an additional coupon from Paypal/Google checkout and has probably ended for now but it shows there are deals to be had. (I also got the LDG FTmeter($44.10) & the AT-897 ($161.0) under the same deal. There was a free dipole kit from LDG included with the tuner as well.

              Just to let you know deals re available.

              Vy 73 de,
              K8SYN mjsyn(Mike)

              > Hi All!
              > Starting tomorrow AES in Milwaukee is having their "Superfest." Since I live within a 1-1/2 hour drive I'm going. On the other hand I'm also attending Hamvention. I have no experience witheither event.
              >
              > AES's latest advertised price is $769 foe the 897D. (They're not giving any clues if there'll be any "specials") My question then is: If I waited until Dayton, might I get a better deal?
              >
              > Thanks!
              > W9SWT

            • Mike Rhodes
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 4, 2009
                If you buy from ANY dealer at Dayton, you will be charged Ohio sales tax
                but it pays to ask questions of the dealers who do not have a presence
                in your home state!

                Mike / W8DN

                N4CQR wrote:

                > In all but the most extreme cases, if you buy from an Ohio dealer at
                > Dayton, you WILL be charged Ohio Sales Tax. Which I have found to be
                > far more than shipping costs, all things being equal.
                >
                > Craig
                >
                > Grundig Satellit 750 Group:
                >
                > Talk about Yaesu's Newest HT, the VX-8R:
                >
                > --- On Fri, 4/3/09, dyarnes1 <w7aqk@... <mailto:w7aqk%40cox.net>>
                > wrote:
                >
                > > From: dyarnes1 <w7aqk@... <mailto:w7aqk%40cox.net>>
                > > Subject: [FT897] Re: Buying FT-897D: AES Superfest vs. Hamvention?
                > > To: FT897@yahoogroups.com <mailto:FT897%40yahoogroups.com>
                > > Date: Friday, April 3, 2009, 2:16 PM
                > > I have rarely seen sale prices better than those you find at
                > > Dayton. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen sale
                > > prices better than at Dayton, unless it was something like a
                > > closeout price offered subsequently. I would bet you would
                > > be wise to do your shopping at Dayton. I may be wrong, but
                > > I suspect that the current sluggish economy might make this
                > > a particularly good year for deals at Dayton.
                > >
                > > Dave W7AQK

              • Mike Rhodes
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 4, 2009
                  My impression is, the dealers find out what the factory deals will be
                  when they set up very shortly before and either do not know or are not
                  at liberty to say what their 'Dayton prices' will be before then.
                  Besides, why would they want to give you info on pricing that is a month
                  down the road. Their job is to sell stuff that day at the biggest profit
                  margin they can swing.

                  Mike / W8DN

                  mack bolan wrote:

                  > you can also ask AES what their Dayton prive could be
                  >
                  > --- On Fri, 4/3/09, dyarnes1 <w7aqk@... <mailto:w7aqk%40cox.net>>
                  > wrote:
                  >
                  > From: dyarnes1 <w7aqk@... <mailto:w7aqk%40cox.net>>
                  > Subject: [FT897] Re: Buying FT-897D: AES Superfest vs. Hamvention?
                  > To: FT897@yahoogroups.com <mailto:FT897%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > Date: Friday, April 3, 2009, 1:16 PM
                  >
                  > I have rarely seen sale prices better than those you find at Dayton.
                  > In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen sale prices better than at
                  > Dayton, unless it was something like a closeout price offered
                  > subsequently. I would bet you would be wise to do your shopping at
                  > Dayton. I may be wrong, but I suspect that the current sluggish
                  > economy might make this a particularly good year for deals at Dayton.
                  >
                  > Dave W7AQK
                  >
                  > --- In FT897@yahoogroups. com, "Steve Twigg" <stevetwigg@ ...> wrote:
                  >

                  > > Hi All!
                  >
                  > > Starting tomorrow AES in Milwaukee is having their "Superfest."
                  > Since I live within a 1-1/2 hour drive I'm going. On the other hand
                  > I'm also attending Hamvention. I have no experience witheither event.
                  >

                  > > AES's latest advertised price is $769 foe the 897D. (They're not
                  > giving any clues if there'll be any "specials") My question then is:
                  > If I waited until Dayton, might I get a better deal?
                  >

                  > > Thanks!
                  >
                  > > W9SWT

                • flhtci97
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 5, 2009
                    Yes Gigaparts has had some good sales. I picked up my 897D from them last October for $710.00. Picked up a my new 857D during the March Madness sale for $620.00. Both instances pretty good deals in my book.
                    73 Ed N0EHQ