How do I remove Monitor RF from my Radio ??

  • fxrcurt
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4, 2009
      Hi,
      I know this has been hashed before but it's been a long time ago as far as I can see.
      I got my FT-897D home, hooked it all up, tested transmit and receive, stored some local repeater and simplex memories.
      All great and what a fine radio. Well sometimes I noticed on idle receive my S meter would flicker at mark one, Then I noticed it actually reading fairly solid between S1 and up to S5!! I was getting some RF or something in there so I started poking around my shack and found it to me my new Dell SP1908FPt monitor sitting next to the radio. I reached over and pushed the button to turn the monitor off and wala! RF Gone. I moved it as far away as my cables would permit, about 3 ft. and that helped but not always. I would clock the monitor and make some improvements but that RF would creep back in. I know you never smack electronic gear to get it going but funny I could tap the monitor and effect the S meter on my radio.
      Long story short, I swapped monitors with an older DEll E153FPC (or something like that) and again NO RF. I can lay this monitor right flat on top of my radio and NO RF. To bad because my new Dell monitor is 19" flat and really beautiful. The older one is smaller about 15" and just OK.
      So lesson one is "Yes it's the monitor causing RF in the radio"
      And Question one is " Is there a way to find the differences between these monitors as to why one interferes and one doesn't?
      Thanks,
      Curtis N5FXR
    • kc3vo@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4, 2009
        The noisy monitor may have a loose shield, or loose mounting/grounding
        screw. Also, WHERE is your ANTENNA? If the antenna is nearby, that is
        also a problem! Be sure to place the antenna as far away from the
        computer, monitor, home electrical wiring, TV set, telephones, stereo
        etc. as possible--Preferably at least 20 feet above the roofline, and
        outdoors away from trees or other obstructions. Indoor antennas usually
        cause all kinds of problems!---73, KC3VO-Bob Curry

[...]

      • Sildes Rosa (Superig)
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4, 2009
          The monitor switching power supply could be the answer...
          Try to use any good main filter, as close as possible to the monitor.

          Good luck
          Sildes - PY2TEE