Re: [FT897] Tuner SWR or Radio SWR

  • D F
    Message 1 of 52 , Feb 2 9:49 AM
      Remember too, that the swr display on the 897 is APPROXIMATE - NOT ACCURATE! If you want an accurate reading, an external meter is required. I would trust the MFJ over the radio's display. The reading on the radio will get you out of serious trouble, but I always trust the external meter. Also, remember an antenna tuner is more a "coax tuner" since it matches the feedline AND antenna to the radio (well, actually the feedline moreso than the antenna unless you have the meter AT the antenna). Anyway, just wanted to drop my 2 cents worth.

      Dennis - N8BMB

      ________________________________
      Message 52 of 52 , Feb 6 9:34 AM

        Back to the original topic then, the mismatch between the two SWR meters.

        First: in a transmission line the SWR is the same in every point, provided
        that:

        - the line is lossless

        - the line does not radiate

        - The impedance is the same along the transmission line

        So in a perfect coaxial line the measured SWR is the same in every point.

        Now, losses mean that in practice the SWR is the highest at the antenna
        feedpoint (assuming the end of the coax feeds a radiator). At the rig the
        SWR (read reflected power wrt forward power) is lower because some of the
        reflected power is dissipated on the way back.

        In de OP’s case line loss cannot be the reason for the mismatch between the
        two meters because the SWR is not consistently lower at the MFJ. Besides,
        the difference it too big to be caused by line losses (probably less than a
        meter of coax at HF frequencies).

        Patch between rig and tuner radiating: Possible, if there is no good defined
        common HF ground _AND_ the coax between the rig and the MFJ is not too short
        compared to the wavelength (> 1/10). Unlikely again.

        Impedance problems: most likely cause in my opinion. Possible the patch is
        not 50 Ohm, or there are connector problems, impedance bumps along the
        rig/patch/tuner/tuner SWR meter _and/or_ inaccurate meter at the MFJ. Often
        the SWR meters in these tuners cut some corners to save a few cents.

        Use the SWR value at the rig. All meters are very good at detecting 1:1 SWR
        and this is what the rig wants to see to output full power. That the SWR is
        not 1:1 further down the line is not so important (only for losses).

        Pity however that the MFJ sometimes disagrees because this makes it very
        difficult to use the autotuner at these frequencies…

        Regards,

        Minto pa3bca