Re: [FT897] Re: BHI DSP from W4RT

  • Dan Schaaf
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 31, 2009
      What is BHI DSP?

      Best Regards
      Dan Schaaf

      From: tenorman1952
      To: FT897@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, January 31, 2009 7:50 PM
      Subject: [FT897] Re: BHI DSP from W4RT

      I've just posted sound samples of my results with the BHI DSP.

      Paul
      AE5JU

    • Jim
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 31, 2009
        Lack of a DSP audio filter is big draw back and hard on your ears after
        a while. This filter seems like a good addition, however, did you have
        to give up the battery switch?

        tenorman1952 wrote:

        > I've just posted sound samples of my results with the BHI DSP.
        >
        > Paul
        > AE5JU

      • tenorman1952
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1 1:31 PM
          --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Jim <liteways@...> wrote:

          > Lack of a DSP audio filter is big draw back and hard on your ears
          after
          > a while. This filter seems like a good addition, however, did you
          have
          > to give up the battery switch?
          >
          > tenorman1952 wrote:
          > >
          > > I've just posted sound samples of my results with the BHI DSP.
          > >
          > > Paul
          > > AE5JU

          Yes, I removed the A/B battery rocker switch. It hung down and
          interfered with the wiring going to the button in the suggested
          position on the front right corner of the cover. I tried to put it
          there.

          I unplugged the rocker switch from the board with the cover off,
          found that the radio worked fine without the switch plugged in. I
          had to take off the felt piece around the switch, then compressed the
          tabs on the edges of the switch, pushed it out the top. That left
          the plastic "well" or bezel that the switch was snapped into.

          I don't need the switch as I don't use, nor plan to use this radio
          with internal gel batteries. I have the Yaesu FP-30b internal power
          supply in the bottom. And I have a much larger gel cell to use for
          portable use.

          After removing the switch there was room that if I had known this
          before, I could have placed the DSP board in that area below the
          rocker switch.

          I used a piece of black textured ABS sheet plastic to make the
          mounting board for the DSP's pushbutton and LED. This plastic sheet
          is available from www.partsexpress.com in various thicknesses and is
          commonly used for making panels for car stereo installation. Cost
          was about $7 USD for a 12"x24" sheet of plastic.

          After drilling the holes in the piece of plastic sheet, I glued the
          switch to it with Aleene's 7800 (a common craft store adhesive). To
          do this I clamped the switch to the plastic sheet with a plastic
          rubber jawed clamp used for model building. THEN I applied dabs of
          the 7800 around the switch and LED. I did this, rather than applying
          the adhesive to the face of the switch, so that glue would not get
          around the button. I let this dry overnight, then glued the sheet to
          the plastic bezel left in the cover.

          This DSP works GREAT!

          For those that don't want to install this internally, there is
          another unit from BHI that connects between the Yaesu's external
          speaker jack and speaker, and has its own audio amplifier.

          http://www.w4wb.com/BHI/DSP-ANES.htm

          Paul
          AE5JU
        • Jim
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1 3:26 PM
            I think I'd want to keep the switch though

            tenorman1952 wrote:

            > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com <mailto:FT897%40yahoogroups.com>, Jim
            > <liteways@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Lack of a DSP audio filter is big draw back and hard on your ears
            > after
            > > a while. This filter seems like a good addition, however, did you
            > have
            > > to give up the battery switch?
            > >
            > > tenorman1952 wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I've just posted sound samples of my results with the BHI DSP.
            > > >
            > > > Paul
            > > > AE5JU
            >
            > Yes, I removed the A/B battery rocker switch. It hung down and
            > interfered with the wiring going to the button in the suggested
            > position on the front right corner of the cover. I tried to put it
            > there.
            >
            > I unplugged the rocker switch from the board with the cover off,
            > found that the radio worked fine without the switch plugged in. I
            > had to take off the felt piece around the switch, then compressed the
            > tabs on the edges of the switch, pushed it out the top. That left
            > the plastic "well" or bezel that the switch was snapped into.
            >
            > I don't need the switch as I don't use, nor plan to use this radio
            > with internal gel batteries. I have the Yaesu FP-30b internal power
            > supply in the bottom. And I have a much larger gel cell to use for
            > portable use.
            >
            > After removing the switch there was room that if I had known this
            > before, I could have placed the DSP board in that area below the
            > rocker switch.
            >
            > I used a piece of black textured ABS sheet plastic to make the
            > mounting board for the DSP's pushbutton and LED. This plastic sheet
            > is available from www.partsexpress.com in various thicknesses and is
            > commonly used for making panels for car stereo installation. Cost
            > was about $7 USD for a 12"x24" sheet of plastic.
            >
            > After drilling the holes in the piece of plastic sheet, I glued the
            > switch to it with Aleene's 7800 (a common craft store adhesive). To
            > do this I clamped the switch to the plastic sheet with a plastic
            > rubber jawed clamp used for model building. THEN I applied dabs of
            > the 7800 around the switch and LED. I did this, rather than applying
            > the adhesive to the face of the switch, so that glue would not get
            > around the button. I let this dry overnight, then glued the sheet to
            > the plastic bezel left in the cover.
            >
            > This DSP works GREAT!
            >
            > For those that don't want to install this internally, there is
            > another unit from BHI that connects between the Yaesu's external
            > speaker jack and speaker, and has its own audio amplifier.
            >
            > http://www.w4wb.com/BHI/DSP-ANES.htm
            > <http://www.w4wb.com/BHI/DSP-ANES.htm>
            >
            > Paul
            > AE5JU

          • nr3r15
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 2 5:58 AM
              --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Jim <liteways@...> wrote:

              > I think I'd want to keep the switch though

              Send the rig to W4RT and let them do it. I had mine back in one week.
              That way you can keep the switch.

              Larry
            • Joe
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 4 11:13 PM
                Ahhh..Dan..you missed the thread...it is a nifty little board that goes
                inside the 897/897D to give you AF-DSP capability.

                Read up on it here: http://www.w4wb.com/BHI/DSP-897.htm

                Got one on order for my rig!

                Joe Wolfe
                WA6RKN