Power Up problem, SSB distorted, low power out

  • w0bov
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2008
      Hi all,
      Seems no one responded to my earlier post about ssb problems on the
      FT-897D. After some more troubleshooting, I duplicated the problem or
      should say the problem appeared again after the radio was powered off
      for a few days. Upon power up, ssb (2 meters for this example) audio
      is somewhat distorted. When I transmit to another station, they
      report a carrier with my transmission. I unplug the power cable, plug
      back in, the radio comes on and ssb (2 meters) noise level is higher
      as if it is receiving better and my report on my transmission is that
      the carrier is gone and my signal is stronger. Running the same power
      level throughout the troubleshooting exercise, no external control
      cables connected, all factory settings in the menu's with the exeption
      of the power level which I have at 5 watts.

      Again, is anyone experiencing any problems similar to this?

      A response from someone would be appreciated.

      W0BOV
    • "Glenn (KØBO)"
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 4, 2008
        w0bov wrote:
        > Hi all,
        > Seems no one responded to my earlier post about ssb problems on the
        > FT-897D. After some more troubleshooting, I duplicated the problem or
        > should say the problem appeared again after the radio was powered off
        > for a few days. Upon power up, ssb (2 meters for this example) audio
        > is somewhat distorted. When I transmit to another station, they
        > report a carrier with my transmission. I unplug the power cable, plug
        > back in, the radio comes on and ssb (2 meters) noise level is higher
        > as if it is receiving better and my report on my transmission is that
        > the carrier is gone and my signal is stronger. Running the same power
        > level throughout the troubleshooting exercise, no external control
        > cables connected, all factory settings in the menu's with the exeption
        > of the power level which I have at 5 watts.
        >
        > Again, is anyone experiencing any problems similar to this?
        >
        > A response from someone would be appreciated.

        I've not had this problem but two things I would try would be a
        different power supply and a different antenna.

        How does FM work and do you have ALC action when xmitting?

        There is also a DSP grounding issue that has been discussed where there
        is allot of *background* noise that appears to be a carrier and sounds
        like a distortion. Yaesu repaired my unit under warranty.
      • kc3vo@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 4, 2008
          Where, and what, is the antenna? What is the power cable connected to for
          power?- Give us the DETAILS of your installation. 73, KC3VO-Bob Curry
          **************Stay in touch with ALL of your friends: update your AIM, Bebo,
          Facebook, and MySpace pages with just one click. The NEW AOL.com.
          (http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp&icid=aolcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000012)

        • Brian J. Scanlon
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 19, 2009
            Hello:

            I have just aquired a "new in the box" Ft-897D with a late 2007
            manufacture date. This radio exhibits the same behavior as you have
            described. I have noted that it acts like this for about 30 minutes to
            an hour before sounding normal. This leads me to believe it is thermal
            in nature. I have done no further testing yet. The radio is configured
            to factory settings and is being used with a MFJ 35 amp conventional
            power supply and an MFJ 1775 rotatable dipole. Both the power supply
            and antenna also serve my TS-570sg which works flawlessly. I really
            would like to avoid sending the radio to Yaesu unitil I have the
            problem nailed down and know for sure taht I can not fix it myself by
            reseating some of the internal hardware, adding an additional grounding
            strap, or jiggling some conections. Feedback welcome. How is Yaesu
            sevice??

            Thanks