Re: [FT897] New FT-897D

  • Robert Mcleod
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 30, 2008
      AMEN!!....CLIFF....WB4DPP

      --- On Tue, 9/30/08, luffnutt@... <luffnutt@...> wrote:
      From: luffnutt@... <luffnutt@...>
      Subject: Re: [FT897] New FT-897D
      To: FT897@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, September 30, 2008, 5:36 PM

      Sarge,

      Go with the LDG 897 tuner. I did and never looked back on my decision.

      Charley-KC3KN

      In a message dated 9/30/2008 1:44:30 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

      ke5ovt@arrl. net writes:

      My 897D will be here Thursday morning!!! SO what do I need to know to

      get the most from this radio before I even open the box :-)

      Not new to Yaseu radios, FT-840, 2 FT-8800R's, VX -170, FT 60R and

      sold a FT-450AT to buy my 897D. A friend has FTbasic to help with

      programming and I'm going to get ADMS 4B software w/cable as soon as I

      can. THEN either the Yaseu or LDG tuner.

      THANKS in advance

      73's

      Sarge

      ************ **Looking for simple solutions to your real-life financial

      calculators. (http://www.walletpo p.com/?NCID= emlcntuswall0000 0001)

    • Keith
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 20, 2010
        My new FT-897D should arrive from HRO tomorrow. I have been going through past messages trying to determine what "must have" accessories are for this unit.

        Currently I have a FT-950 and FT-450 (with internal ATU's) for my home station, and FT-857D in my cars. I run LDG Z100 tuners on the FT-857's and have been happy with them.

        This radio will be used in our motorhome, replacing the TS-140 I have ran for years.

        I am mainly interested in battery pack and tuner options, but the wide variety of choices for this radio are amazing. Is there any particular tuner or battery pack I should avoid?

        73!
        Keith WD0FIA / AFA7MU
      • rschaffrath
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 21, 2010
          I picked up the FP-30B for mine so that I could transport it easier than carrying it and my Astron SS-25A around. I have thought about getting a mechanical SSB filter but so far have held off.

          Robert, N2JTX

        • af6cm_yahoo@myfastmail.com
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 21, 2010
            Welcome to the group, Keith.

            Of course, for a tuner you might prefer the LDG AT-897, because
            it bolts onto the FT-897D. I believe it is essentially the
            same tuner as the Z100.

            As for power, I use an Astron switching supply normally, and
            AGM batteries for emergency power.

            After you get your '897, I would be interested to hear your
            thoughts about the differences between the FT-897, FT-450,
            and FT-950. I am considering purchasing either an FT-450
            or FT-950 and making my FT-897 a strictly portable unit.

            Rob
            AF6CM

            On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 21:26 +0000, "Keith" <afa7mu@...>
            wrote:
            My new FT-897D should arrive from HRO tomorrow. I have been going
            through past messages trying to determine what "must have"
            accessories are for this unit.
            Currently I have a FT-950 and FT-450 (with internal ATU's) for my
            home station, and FT-857D in my cars. I run LDG Z100 tuners on
            the FT-857's and have been happy with them.
            This radio will be used in our motorhome, replacing the TS-140 I
            have ran for years.
            I am mainly interested in battery pack and tuner options, but the
            wide variety of choices for this radio are amazing. Is there any
            particular tuner or battery pack I should avoid?
            73!
            Keith WD0FIA / AFA7MU
          • David J. Ring, Jr.
            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 12, 2011
              A friend of mine had a broken FT-897D and he passed away and left it to me.

              It turned out to be a blown resistor.

              I'm thinking of buying the internal AC power supply and either a 500 or 300 Hz filter.

              I see that filters are available elsewhere like W4RT.

              I'd like to solicit comments on the Internal PS - I like the idea of a tote and plug AC radio.

              I am a Morse operator (former commercial radiotelegrapher) and I generally use a SSB filter because my ears are trained to hear signals quite well, but there are times that a narrow filter reduces fatigue and also slices out signals from the noise and interference that my ears cannot do.

              300 Hz or 500 Hz? I'm planning on doing some digital modes as well since I have the radio.

              I also thought about getting at least one battery pack? Pros and cons on the Yaesu model or the W4RT?

              I see that LDG makes a breakout box with RCA jacks. Nice idea.

              I guess I need a digital mode cable and a a CAT cable. Any pointers on what to get?

              I'd like the radio to do what ever it can!

              A friend has the LDG antenna tuner, so I will probably get one of those too.

              Boy, I'm spending more on accessories than my friend spent on his radio!

              73

              David Ring, N1EA

              =30=
            • john_kb0ne
              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 14, 2011
                IMHO: Go with the 300 HZ filter. It will help with strong adjacent stations from pumping your AGC as badly....

                I have the Factory AC supply and have ZERO problems from it. I hear no birdies or other trash from the supply. Go with a NEW supply, there are reports of the earlier supplies (used, e-bay) being noisy.

                Also you may experience problems running CW at full power. My rig and some others tend to be sensitive to fill power ops so running 50 to 75 watts isn't unreasonable.

                John KB0NE

                --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "David J. Ring, Jr." <n1ea@...> wrote:

                > I'm thinking of buying the internal AC power supply and either a 500 or 300 Hz filter.
                >
                > I see that filters are available elsewhere like W4RT.
                >
                > I'd like to solicit comments on the Internal PS - I like the idea of a tote and plug AC radio.
              • Rob Stampfli
                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 14, 2011
                  On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 02:25:53AM -0000, David J. Ring, Jr. wrote:
                  > A friend of mine had a broken FT-897D and he passed away and left it to me.
                  > I'm thinking of buying the internal AC power supply and either a 500 or 300 Hz filter.

                  I suspect the choice of filters is largely a matter of personal
                  preference.

                  I use the FP-30 internal AC power supply and for me it works great.
                  It makes for a fully functional, compact rig. There have been
                  occasional reports here of it causing hash on some frequencies, but
                  I've never encountered any such issues personally.

                  I'm not a fan of battery packs, and I have no experience with them
                  on the FT-897D. First, they require maintenance. You have to charge
                  them occasionally even if you aren't going to be using them. Unless
                  you have a specific need -- say you regularly take your rig to a
                  local park for lunchtime ops, in my opinion batteries are more
                  trouble than they are worth.

                  My choice in tuners is the LDG AT-897Plus. It works quite well,
                  has a simpler, better keying interface than the AT-897 for tuneup
                  (The original AT-897 introduces issues if you want to interface
                  your FT-897D with a linear amp), and the consensus view here seems
                  to be that people prefer the Plus version of the LDG tuner to the
                  Yaesu product.

                  Get a well shielded CAT cable. Last fall, after operating with an
                  amp in a contest on bands I normally don't use, I found that some
                  of the service menu items in my FT-897D were scrambled. Although
                  I have no proof, I suspect that it was RF sneaking in on the CAT
                  cable that caused this. (I did notice that, while transmitting,
                  HRD was having problem communicating with the rig.)

                  Enjoy your FT-897D. It's a good knock-around radio.

                  Rob / KD8WK
                • rschaffrath
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 14, 2011
                    --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "john_kb0ne" <wa0lhb@...> wrote:

                    > I have the Factory AC supply and have ZERO problems from it. I hear no birdies or other trash from the supply. Go with a NEW supply, there are reports of the earlier supplies (used, e-bay) being noisy.

                    As long as the used supply is an FP-30B it should be fine. The "B" has some extra filtering versus the original FP-30.

                    Robert, N2JTX
                  • D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 16, 2011
                      Thank you everyone - now on CAT and Data cables - they have to be separate
                      and someone kindly advised that if I were to have an ATU I should get one
                      with a CAT pass-through connector so that the CAT signal would be available
                      for computer control.

                      So any good sources for good CAT and DATA cables?

                      73

                      DR

                      On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 3:10 PM, rschaffrath <robert@...> wrote:

                      > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "john_kb0ne" <wa0lhb@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I have the Factory AC supply and have ZERO problems from it. I hear no
                      > birdies or other trash from the supply. Go with a NEW supply, there are
                      > reports of the earlier supplies (used, e-bay) being noisy.
                      > >

                      > As long as the used supply is an FP-30B it should be fine. The "B" has
                      > some extra filtering versus the original FP-30.
                      >
                      > Robert, N2JTX

                    • Joe
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 19, 2011
                        I bought mine off of ebay for a song and a dance. I have never even done this before and all is working ok as far as controlling the radio from the computer. Have not done any data at this time. Getting ready to try to build one first, then work from there.

                        73's
                        Joe Bruno
                        KE5YWO

                      • ka0kaf@bellsouth.net
                        Message 11 of 29 , Nov 30, 2013
                          I am the owner of a new FT-897D from HRO. Included is the remote mic, Collins filters, FP-30 power supply and batteries with charger. I had intended to use the radio as a back up HF to my FT-950 while using the VHF/UHF for local repeaters, Echolink, etc.

                          Because the radio is very portable, I also plan to use it for Field Day and camp trips.

                          I have the FC-30 tuner connected to the radio.

                          my questions; is having both battery and A/C power overkill? Has anyone experience with swapping out the A/C supply for the batteries and visa versa? Are there issues/concerns with doing this overtime? Is there a way to connect both the FC-30 and cat control for Echolink, APRS, or other applications?

                          Thanks and 73
                        • martek01
                          Message 12 of 29 , Dec 2, 2013

                            I can answer at least one of your questions:  Is there a way to connect both the FC-30 and CAT control for Echolink, APRS, or other applications?

                            I had the same issue so I built a splitter that plugs goes inline with your mic and splits off access to CAT functionality and makes it available via a 8-pin mini din connector.  It works great!

                            After I built it, I realized that several people were having the same challenge so I built a few more and started selling them.

                            Here's a link:  http://kk4tyw.com/joomla/index.php/products.

                            Thanks,

                            Evans Martin

                            KK4TYW

                            ---In FT897@yahoogroups.com, <ka0kaf@...> wrote:

                            I am the owner of a new FT-897D from HRO. Included is the remote mic, Collins filters, FP-30 power supply and batteries with charger. I had intended to use the radio as a back up HF to my FT-950 while using the VHF/UHF for local repeaters, Echolink, etc.

                            Because the radio is very portable, I also plan to use it for Field Day and camp trips.

                            I have the FC-30 tuner connected to the radio.

                            my questions; is having both battery and A/C power overkill? Has anyone experience with swapping out the A/C supply for the batteries and visa versa? Are there issues/concerns with doing this overtime? Is there a way to connect both the FC-30 and cat control for Echolink, APRS, or other applications?

                            Thanks and 73
                          • Ken Bandy, KJ9B
                            Message 13 of 29 , Dec 2, 2013
                              It's unfortunate that you purchased the FC-30. The LDG AT-897 tuner has a
                              much broader tuning range than the FC-30, bolts on the side of the radio as
                              the FC-30 does, and has a CAT output. Other than that, you'll like your
                              FT-897D. It's a lot of radio in a small, portable package.

                              73,
                              Ken, KJ9B

                              Message 14 of 29 , Dec 2, 2013
                                I sort of think the batteries and power supply are a bit overkill. But all depends on what you want to do. I got the fp-30 for my 897 and am SO GLAD I did. It's so handy to just plug it in and go. No hauling heavy supplies and longer than necessary Power cables. I would get a sealed lead acid battery or marine battery if I wanted to operate from a battery. I think the yaesu batteries and the charger are a complete rip off. You can get other kinds of batteries that can do so much more than the yaesus. And a cheap charger to go with it and you're set for a fraction of the cost.

                                If I were you I would strongly consider getting the LDG at-897 tuner for your radio over that fc-30 tuner. I've seen hardly anything good said about it but almost all good stuff with the LDG. The LDG can handle mismatches up to 10:1 where the fc-30 can only handle around 3:1. Also you still can use the CAT plug with the LDG. Lethe fc30 doesn't allow you to do this.

                                So just some things to consider there.

                                73, Chris WE8ST

                                Sent from my iPhone
                              • Mike Brooks
                                Message 15 of 29 , Dec 2, 2013
                                  Nonsense. I use the batteries for portable/field operations and get 8 hours on a pair of FNB-78's . I use the internal power supply when using my FT/879 as a base station. The FT/ 879 is the Swiss Army Knife of radios and those two different power supplies are essential for getting the benefit of this radio. Likewise the dual filters. The only thing I have done different is to buy the LDG879pro antenna tuner, because the Yaesu one is crippled and will only tune an SWR of 3:1. About the only thing lacking is a long mast Buddipole, the Deluxe version, at $485 for field operations (although it makes a dandy semi-permanent backyard or apartment antenna for 2 meters through 40 meters.

                                  Mike Brooks
                                  KG7GNI
                                  Coburg, Oregon

                                  Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

                                    --
                                    Terry Dillard
                                    "Veritas vos Liberabit"

                                  • n7ckj
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Dec 2, 2013

                                      My FT-897D is used, almost exclusively, for VHF contesting from the local mountain tops. I originally utilized a solar charging system (extremely quiet), but switched to a generator when I started bringing my mobile house (trailer) with me for comfort.

                                      The internal batteries were too expensive, so far as I was concerned and the thought of replacing them, ever few years, was more that I was willing to deal with. I tried the internal AC supply, but RFI problems (on 6 Meters) forced me to get rid of it. I also didn't like the extra 1/2 inch it added to the bottom of the radio.

                                      I do have an LDG autotuner that I purchased for use with my BuddiPole antenna system. Since I don't operate much portable HF, both the tuner and antenna collect more dust than contacts.

                                      73, Radio Randy N7CKJ

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Dec 2, 2013

                                        http://www.kk4tyw.com/products has a good one.

                                        ---In ft897@yahoogroups.com, <n1ea@...> wrote:

                                        Thank you everyone - now on CAT and Data cables - they have to be separate
                                        and someone kindly advised that if I were to have an ATU I should get one
                                        with a CAT pass-through connector so that the CAT signal would be available
                                        for computer control.

                                        So any good sources for good CAT and DATA cables?

                                        73

                                        DR

                                        On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 3:10 PM, rschaffrath <robert@...> wrote:

                                        > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "john_kb0ne" <wa0lhb@...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > I have the Factory AC supply and have ZERO problems from it. I hear no
                                        > birdies or other trash from the supply. Go with a NEW supply, there are
                                        > reports of the earlier supplies (used, e-bay) being noisy.
                                        > >

                                        > As long as the used supply is an FP-30B it should be fine. The "B" has
                                        > some extra filtering versus the original FP-30.
                                        >
                                        > Robert, N2JTX

                                      • Mike Brooks
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Dec 2, 2013
                                          FYI, the batteries, from Yaesu, run $129! You can buy the exact same battery, made by Vertex, same manufacturer as the ones from Yaesu, from Expert Power for $71. I have those and they work great. You can buy aftermarket ones for as little as. $60. One hint - buy the individual cells, too. When the packs " go out", but with proper care they should last for several years, you can rebuild the packs for $10 or so. In other words, the internal battery packs need not be expensive!
                                          I was a ham in Sweden (new in the US) and the 897, with the internal battery packs is widely used and treasured. You can buy an UP4DAR board (d-star) and lots of other second source products, making this a much better choice than many of the newer radios.

                                          Mike Brooks
                                          KG7GNI
                                          Coburg, Oregon

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Dec 2, 2013
                                              I also have the 897D and use for portable "everything"... First with the buddy pole and then with the super antenna yp3 beam. I did opt for the LDG tuner base on reviews by other hams. Don't regret it one bit. The radio is great I did get the 2.3khz Ssb filter. I have used this radio with car power, generator with an astron power supply and solar power with a 32ah lead acid battey. I also opted for the Yaesu battery system and have used it QRP and I gotta tell you it's a hell of a radio. 2yra later and this radio gies with me wherever I go. Look at my qrz page for pics on our portable operations.Have funGeorge N2ZNC
                                            • KA0KAF
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Dec 2, 2013
                                                Thanks for all the responses. As for the FC-30 tuner, it is a carry over
                                                from my FT-857D. I have used it in mobile applications where the
                                                antenna, either a ham stick type or Diamond DV-5 to provide more band
                                                width. I have since swapped these for the ATAS-120A and no longer need
                                                the FC-30 with the FT-857D. This was all before I found out about the LDG.

                                                So, I guess my next step for the FT-897D is to swap the FC-30 for the LDG.

                                                For now, I have the FP-30 installed and will be using the radio
                                                primarily as a back up HF radio in the shack and primary radio on
                                                VHF/UHF. If I wish to use it on Echolink, I am either going to
                                                disconnect the FC-30 or get the LDG.

                                                I do plan to use it in portable situations in the future; mostly on camp
                                                trips and the occasional field day. That is where the battery option
                                                comes in.

                                                Jeff Maxwell, KA0KAF ARRL Member 1148988 Ten-Ten International Net,
                                                Member 73529 FISTS Member 16343 eQSL and LOTW KA0KAF@...

                                              • Gary Stephenson
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Dec 2, 2013

                                                  The FC-30 is only good for 3:1 swr. If your antenna is under 3:1 they work great,but if your antenna is over 3:1 then the FC-30 will not take care of it.   I use my lgd FT-897 that will work on 10:1 swr if you have to use it.

                                                  Gary WW8O