Cat Command Reference ??

  • John Barrett
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2008
      Does anyone have information on the 857/897 memory layout and/or undocumented CAT commands ?? I'm creating an application for managing radio memories with a plugin framework that will allow any radio with a serial PC interface to be programmed from a common interface. The program will be posted on Sourceforge under the GPL once I have the core framework established so anyone can add modules for other radios.

      I've found some information for the 817 that should get me started, but detailed info for the specifically for the 897 would make my life quite a bit easier :)

      I will also happily accept documentation on managing radio memories via CAT/CI-V/Cloning for ANY radio you may have information on.

    • Patrick Ouellette
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 5, 2008
        On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 11:59:51PM -0500, John Barrett wrote:

        > Does anyone have information on the 857/897 memory layout and/or undocumented CAT commands ?? I'm creating an application for managing radio memories with a plugin framework that will allow any radio with a serial PC interface to be programmed from a common interface. The program will be posted on Sourceforge under the GPL once I have the core framework established so anyone can add modules for other radios.
        >
        > I've found some information for the 817 that should get me started, but detailed info for the specifically for the 897 would make my life quite a bit easier :)
        >
        > I will also happily accept documentation on managing radio memories via CAT/CI-V/Cloning for ANY radio you may have information on.

        Have you looked in the hamlib project (http://hamlib.sourceforge.net)?
        The project doesn't advocate using undocumented commands, but has lots of
        support for different rigs (in various stages of completion).

        It might reduce or stop reinventing the wheel a couple of times.

        73,

        Pat NE4PO
        --

        Patrick Ouellette pat@...
        ne4po (at) arrl (dot) net Amateur Radio: NE4PO
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 5, 2008
          Hamlib focusses on Rig/Station Control, doesnt support memory access for the 897 (which I'm starting with since I have one), and doesnt doesnt advocate using undocumented commands, which apparently is going to be a requirement to configure the memories for some manufacturers radios. They have absolutly zero support for non-CAT radios that are accessable only via a cloning interface. They also do not provide the source documents that they used to create the various modules for supported radios. I may pick through it for the memory access info on the radios that they support once I have a framework in place.

          And lastly, I hate working in straight ANSI C -- I havent done it in nearly 20 years and I have no desire to go back to the Stone Age of development tools. Java and C# are both fully object oriented, reasonably platform independent now that Mono is available for C# on *nix, and free me from tediously coding low level details such as user interface structure, serialization, and objectification of a non-OO architecture when the appliction positively screams for objects to manage the task efficiently. C++ is only marginally better.. call it Bronze Age. And C# beats out Java because of better development tools.

          On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 11:59:51PM -0500, John Barrett wrote:

          > Does anyone have information on the 857/897 memory layout and/or undocumented CAT commands ?? I'm creating an application for managing radio memories with a plugin framework that will allow any radio with a serial PC interface to be programmed from a common interface. The program will be posted on Sourceforge under the GPL once I have the core framework established so anyone can add modules for other radios.
          >
          > I've found some information for the 817 that should get me started, but detailed info for the specifically for the 897 would make my life quite a bit easier :)
          >
          > I will also happily accept documentation on managing radio memories via CAT/CI-V/Cloning for ANY radio you may have information on.

          Have you looked in the hamlib project (http://hamlib.sourceforge.net)?
          The project doesn't advocate using undocumented commands, but has lots of
          support for different rigs (in various stages of completion).

          It might reduce or stop reinventing the wheel a couple of times.

          73,

          Pat NE4PO
          --

          Patrick Ouellette pat@...
          ne4po (at) arrl (dot) net Amateur Radio: NE4PO
          "Crank the amp to 11, this needs more cowbell - and a llama wouldn't hurt either"
          "Your arguments are an odd mix of overly optimistic on one side and overly
          pessimistic on the other"

        • Craig Scherer
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 5, 2008
            As far as I know, there are no undocumented CAT commands. This has come up numerous times before in this and the 857 group and no one has come up with any.
            Craig
          • Chet, N8RA
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 5, 2008
              I think there are- the published set is woefully inadequate to do good full
              radio control yet software developers seem to find a way. I suspect they do
              it with either unpublished commands or direct memory read/writes, neither of
              which are published. For example- determining if the radio is on VFO A or B.

              Chet, N8RA

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 5, 2008
                try the program trx-magaer it's born from the ft-control (yaesu) and it offers a lot of also memory acces
                at least this is the only program wich seems to cotrol my ft-757gx2 completely including s meter values and memory acces i didn't try it my my ft-897d yet

                bram pe2ek